• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] MBTI and NEUROESTHETICS: How the different types perceive the beauty?

ItsMartinaDotCom97

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so
i was reading about neuroesthetics, a relatively recent sub-discipline of empirical aesthetics that study how our brain perceive beauty and activate some of its areas when we experience a certain aesthetic experience. It was discovered that objective and subjective beauty are both abstract categories who activate different areas of our brain. Plus, when we see something we find beautiful are activated mirror neurons who makes us empathize with the artwork or any beautiful object.. It seems like beauty makes us more empathetic. There's a problem, though: we still don't know if the judging function of beauty anticipates the process of perception, or the beauty perception is a spontaneus process. I though, what if our perception of beauty is influenced by our subjective way to perceive life with cognitive functions? Do you think it would be right or beauty is a category who's perceived the same by everyone? how much subjective personality influence this process? What do you think about it? (i hope it's clear, i'm not an english speaker, yet) Have a good day ;-)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
What's the difference between subjective beauty and objective beauty?

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's the difference between subjective beauty and objective beauty?

I suppose objective beauty applies to the societal or cultural ideals of beauty whereas subjective beauty is specific to the individual's perception. You can gather a dozen people into a room, show them a rose and they'll probably all agree that a rose is beautiful, but if you took those same dozen people into a room with many different types of flowers and ask them which is the most beautiful then you'll see differences.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I suppose objective beauty applies to the societal or cultural ideals of beauty whereas subjective beauty is specific to the individual's perception. You can gather a dozen people into a room, show them a rose and they'll probably all agree that a rose is beautiful, but if you took those same dozen people into a room with many different types of flowers and ask them which is the most beautiful then you'll see differences.

I would think that the difference would be whether the beauty is contained in the object ("that object contains the quality of beauty"), or if the beauty is something that it arises in the subject ("I have an inner sense of beauty when viewing that object").

Objectivity, at least where beauty is concerned, shouldn't be about what other people/society think. It may even be that the same object has objective beauty for one person but not another. The phenomenology in itself should be distinct.