• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are you certain of your Type

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, it has been a combination of taking the MBTI some years ago for work, then reading lots of type descriptions, and listening to the opinions of people familiar with type and function theory who know me well enough to make an assessment. All three have been in agreement, else I would have done more reading/research to resolve the discrepancy and see what was the best fit.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really 'believe' in type to the extent that everyone has to and is going to fit the archetype of a given type. There are definitely people who do, and who are without question a certain type, but I think there are tons of people who are less extreme versions of some or all dichotomies or even functions. And, there are a lot of people who don't actually identify with one and only one type (so they probably don't have strong preferences in one or more ways).

I am 'certain' of many of my traits, as I am who I am; however I'll never be 'certain' of my type since it's not provable anyway. I know what I relate to the most (I relate to Fi, Ni, Se, Te), but I also know I differ in some pretty significant ways from others who share the same type (probably elements outside of type that I find more relevant anyway). Also I've had enough different typings from people who know minimally or a lot about mbti to not really believe I am a strong version of a type. Or..that it really matters much.

Jaguar

I don't really 'believe' in type to the extent that everyone has to and is going to fit the archetype of a given type. There are definitely people who do, and who are without question a certain type, but I think there are tons of people who are less extreme versions of some or all dichotomies or even functions. And, there are a lot of people who don't actually identify with one and only one type (so they probably don't have strong preferences in one or more ways).

I am 'certain' of many of my traits, as I am who I am; however I'll never be 'certain' of my type since it's not provable anyway. I know what I relate to the most (I relate to Fi, Ni, Se, Te), but I also know I differ in some pretty significant ways from others who share the same type (probably elements outside of type that I find more relevant anyway). Also I've had enough different typings from people who know minimally or a lot about mbti to not really believe I am a strong version of a type. Or..that it really matters much.

Actually, you're the perfect reason why it doesn't matter. You and I both know what your type history is. The one you had for a long time, then the change. I had formed an opinion of how your mind worked based on the content of your posts over a long period of time and nothing was going to change that - for better or worse. But that's me. Some nut might have looked at the two types and completely changed their opinion which would be irrational. You could have even called yourself Bob all of a sudden, and it wouldn't change my opinion. But that's because once I see a person has the ability to do something well, it doesn't just fly out the window. Type=/= skill or ability and I'm tired of people trying to pretend it does just to make themselves feel better about their insecurities or shortcomings. Just because Betty plays the violin every day doesn't mean she plays it well. Or ever will. But Sally could pick up a violin and play it for a fraction of the time and go pro.

If you saw my post earlier in the thread, yes, it shows my type, but it also shows that what is being used to categorize type with Linda Berens's methods is general in nature. If I said I prefer to paint rather than draw, you have no idea what I'm going to paint. But there are people who actually think they know. And that's where it gets ridiculous - using type for something it was never intended for and is incapable of showing.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not certain. I have an approximate understanding, as much as can be made based on a system that varies depending on which expert one references.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Actually, you're the perfect reason why it doesn't matter. You and I both know what your type history is. The one you had for a long time, then the change. I had formed an opinion of how your mind worked based on the content of your posts over a long period of time and nothing was going to change that - for better or worse. But that's me. Some nut might have looked at the two types and completely changed their opinion which would be irrational. You could have even called yourself Bob all of a sudden, and it wouldn't change my opinion. But that's because once I see a person has the ability to do something well, it doesn't just fly out the window. Type=/= skill or ability and I'm tired of people trying to pretend it does just to make themselves feel better about their insecurities or shortcomings. Just because Betty plays the violin every day doesn't mean she plays it well. Or ever will. But Sally could pick up a violin and play it for a fraction of the time and go pro.

If you saw my post earlier in the thread, yes, it shows my type, but it also shows that what is being used to categorize type with Linda Berens's methods is general in nature. If I said I prefer to paint rather than draw, you have no idea what I'm going to paint. But there are people who actually think they know. And that's where it gets ridiculous - using type for something it was never intended for and is incapable of showing.

Yes, the key is to be content with one's own identity and be satisfied with one's shortcomings. If you project your image outward to the point where the bar is set at unattainable limits, then you will fall down the wrong path. If you stay true to yourself and are content with your strengths and weaknesses, then the path to "happiness" will be at your footsteps. The belief that intuitives (on average) score higher on IQ tests will further instigate insecurities, which are tied to one's ego. If the "ego" becomes too saturated, then the path becomes increasingly dim. Sure, certain types excel on IQ based tests, however, it's only one small subset of intelligence as a whole. We tend to put higher value on rigorous subjects such as Mathematics and physics such that they carry more weight. If you are Mathematically inclined, then that's a manifestation of your upbringing, environmental circumstances, and genetics....Uniqueness is what allows us to have an interesting life....to expand our horizons.

Lib

Permabanned
Pretty sure I don't belong to any type in particular but Fe must be my least developed function.

Typing confuses me, probably because I tend to mix different typing strategies or it doesn't really apply to me. For example, many people see the type in the main function that's being used but I prioritize one function in one situation and another in situations, which call for a different approach. As a result, quite often I find myself not performing great in areas I traditionally excel just because in this particular moment I am focused on another kind of task. Put me in the same situation twice and it's very likely to see two different personalities. It's odd. Neuroplasticisty might have something to do with it. Also, if a person excels in a particular area, they could very well excel in another, completely different activity.

Another approach is to conclude, for example, that just because someone demonstrates emotional irritability, they have well developed F, while it's supposed to be the opposite - their F must be so poorly developed that they're not able to control it, whether they use it or not. The opposite is also true, but then how would one be sure that someone's logic is flawed if they don't understand it? Who decides what's rational and what's irrational provided that there could be two opposing theories both equally logical?

Another aspect is that in some people one function could be extremely well developed compered to others, who use the same function as dominant. How does one approach this problem? What if a person is mediocre in their use of any function?

As I said, it's all very confusing, at least to me. I prefer to think in terms of functions rather than types because the former could somehow be related to the fact that different parts of the brain, or a combination of them, are responsible for different tasks. In this sense, the notion of types seems pretty constraining.

brightflashes

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because I understand the development of the system, test, etc... I know that INTJ is my "best fit type" in MBTI. I don't feel a need to justify it; it's just pretty obvious to me. Perhaps I am not seeing myself clearly, though.

Because I understand the ways that Jung's typology has been skewed and twisted into MBTI format, I think my "true" type (if the Jungian type is considered the truth based on it being the original incarnation of typology) is some NT of some description. I do know that in my own estimation I'm in touch with (Jungian described) Fi quite a bit, but I'm not certain how that would be analyzed by Jung himself.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have read a lot of sources, but since I have a seemingly abnormal or balanced sides in pretty much everything but introversion and thinking. It is difficult to be certain. But using exact measurements, I lean just slightly more intuitive, and judging.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I have read a lot of sources, but since I have a seemingly abnormal or balanced sides in pretty much everything but introversion and thinking. It is difficult to be certain. But using exact measurements, I lean just slightly more intuitive, and judging.

Yeah, in that case, it would be very difficult to determine exactly which type you fall under...It makes logical sense that the inferior function is a function of the degree of extremity of your dominant function. That is, if your dominant function tends to 1 (100%), then the inferior function tends to 0 (0%)....This is typically seen in people with Asperger's syndrome (very dominant T, very low F). Most of us are more balanced in that regard, which leads to more variation in personalities...Hence, there will exist more errors in respect to typing (genuinely). But discovering your exact type isn't the utmost importance for learning typology.....being open minded in regards to the variation in personality traits is key. Else, people will be less likely to tap into other's potential and guide them on the correct path for success (parental guidance, for instance). Not everyone is equipped to become a doctor, lawyer, or Engineer.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
What makes you certain of your type based on the functions?

The fact that some feelings can't get conscious to me while I notice that those feeling get conscious on others makes me identify myself with a certain type of feeler, which according to Jung is introverted feeling. Until now, I have never felt pleasure. It has been my research question: How is pleasure when get conscious? and couldn't find answer if I kept referring to my experience. I'll have to read literature that explain the theory of pleasure or may be ask my sister or my mother, who I think will be able to at least tell me something about pleasure feeling.

When I have the Fi, The opposite function of extroverted thinking must be in my stack also. To identify which one my perceptive function is to check how the judging function works since,according to Jung, it works in pairs. I used to make a sclupture using Plasticine since kid, and since kid I fold origami, and I used to play toy keyboard also makes me identify extroverted sensor type with Fi, and I was sent by the school I attended in for math competition and the fact that I learnt math even without any assignment when I was in elementary school and realizing that math is an thinker thing with intuition, makes me type myself as Extroverted thinker and Introverted intuition.
math and cognitive function

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
A lifetime of personal observation

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Reading and observation, even asking other people.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Reading books on ennea and other systems, or else online resources on the functions helps. The opinions and observations of people who know me well her are aware of the system too. Thinking about my own behaviors, how it compares to the functions, what I relate to, what doesn't fit. It was 2016 or 2017 when I began to go down the typology rabbithole. It was late 2015 that I took the test that first got me interested in it.