• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are you certain of your Type

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I've noticed that "NT" types are predominate on forums relating to typology. It would make sense that "NT" types would more likely be drawn here considering that more time is spent introspecting/questioning relative to sensor's. The questionnaire is subjectively biased according to your inner perception of the definitions. The discrimination between intuition/sensing and thinking/feeling has spread like a virus within the online community. This will inevitably skew the number of intuitive's relative to sensor's being that intellect is normally associated with intuition. In modern times, social media has projected our insecurities upward and hence, we seek more stimuli to attain "happiness." If we didn't have Televisions or advanced transportation systems, we would witness the extremes to a lesser degree. The extremes equate to the top and base quartiles of the population. The top would consist of celebrities and the base would consist of war/famine. Each of the extremes can propagate us on the wrong path towards destruction. If the "ego" grows too large, than the path will become dim and vague. There will exist mistypes since "ego" is tied to one's image of themselves....Accepting a lesser image of yourself is difficult but ironically leads to happiness. Otherwise, the false sense of satisfaction will blind oneself....Anyways, I digress...
What makes you certain of your type based on the functions?

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
TypoC is predominantly feelers.

Yeah, I could see that considering the need to find one's identity would satisfy their value system.....Each type will come here for differing reasons, and there will be some overlap.

Jaguar

Using the methods of Linda V. Berens work for me.

My Interaction style: In-Charge.
My communication style: Directing.

12 types just got cut with 4 possibilities left:

Answer is in bold.

Done.

--------------------------------

IntrovertedCactus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
I've noticed that "NT" types are predominate on forums relating to typology. It would make sense that "NT" types would more likely be drawn here considering that more time is spent introspecting/questioning relative to sensor's. The questionnaire is subjectively biased according to your inner perception of the definitions. The discrimination between intuition/sensing and thinking/feeling has spread like a virus within the online community. This will inevitably skew the number of intuitive's relative to sensor's being that intellect is normally associated with intuition. In modern times, social media has projected our insecurities upward and hence, we seek more stimuli to attain "happiness." If we didn't have Televisions or advanced transportation systems, we would witness the extremes to a lesser degree. The extremes equate to the top and base quartiles of the population. The top would consist of celebrities and the base would consist of war/famine. Each of the extremes can propagate us on the wrong path towards destruction. If the "ego" grows too large, than the path will become dim and vague. There will exist mistypes since "ego" is tied to one's image of themselves....Accepting a lesser image of yourself is difficult but ironically leads to happiness. Otherwise, the false sense of satisfaction will blind oneself....Anyways, I digress...
What makes you certain of your type based on the functions?

I’ve been pondering on this for awhile. Yes, there is a disparity in how sensors and percievers are versus how they are... well, perceived. The bias against sensors is getting out of hand. Because of this, people may be reluctant to accept being typed as such. I’ve noticed in the tests, it is ‘clear’ which answers are meant for each type. Meaning, that it’s easy to change ones answers to suggest intuitive rather than perceiver. I’ve taken the test with the intent of getting specific types before—and have succeeded every time. Adding that on top of the bias, it makes it difficult to correctly assess ones results for accuracy.

As for your question, no—I am not certain of my type. Due to the bias, I have a hard time believing that I can be an intuitive, considering my average intellect. The only way to be certain of ones type would be by studying the functions, understanding them, and typing based on that rather than the ‘whole’. Or perhaps I’m overthinking things like usual.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Using the methods of Linda V. Berens work for me.

My Interaction style: In-Charge.
My communication style: Directing.

12 types just got cut with 4 possibilities left:

Answer is in bold.

Done.

--------------------------------

Interesting, my Dad is an "estj," and he is very generous, dutiful, and abiding of conventional standards/routines. He is logical, yet won't go too deep into the abstract, and has to extrovert his thinking process for clarity. One of my good friends is an ENTJ, and the distinction is quite prominent. He is very decisive and driven toward a future goal. His thoughts coalesce like a game of chess....he can predict multiple paths that will potentiate his success, but narrows it down effectively to the "best case" scenario. I'm still unsure of my type....My main interests are theoretical Math and research, however, my research methods are quite different than others. I tend to come up with some possible theory/idea/conjecture that may work, and then prove it by analyzing the data/patterns. Of course, most scientists are "NTJ" types, who need data for closure. So, to be a successful researcher, there must be strong evidence for any assertion.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Yeah (@introvertedcactus), i'm taking the same path in that I need to understand the functions fully to gain closure. I'm mainly looking at the dominant and inferior functions to narrow it down. I do seem to lack attention to detail, and constantly am losing items such as keys. I also forget names and numerical details very easily, especially at work. I also noticed that I behave differently around certain people to avoid conflict.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why am I sure of having Fi and Ne high up in my stacks? After learning about the functions, I can clearly look back on my life and see examples of them. And all the added research I've done (like the method Jaguar mentions), backs up my conclusions.

Fi: has been the lens through which I've always been aware of viewing the world, judging it by whether it aligns with my values, and values are of such importance to me that I even did my senior research project in college on values.

Ne: the whirlwind of possibilities, the inability to narrow focus, the what-ifs have always plagued me.

Regarding intuition versus sensing, I was never all that comfortable with physicality growing up. I was good at one game, I remember, on the playground, but that was after watching from the sidelines for a very long time before actually entering into it. I recall one driving mistake I made that reflected a lack of sensory awareness; in fact, I was uncomfortable with the whole idea of driving to start with. However, I know that some people are far more intuitive than I am, as my boyfriend is, and I am forced quite often into the needed role of sensor which is not always comfortable for me, though I am getting better at it, and am far more comfortable with my physicality than I once was.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not even that I strongly feel like an ENFP 4w5, it's just that I strongly feel like I'm not anything else. I just kind of slipped my way into here after some elimination and type-rejection. Types may not really exist anyway.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
Why am I sure of having Fi and Ne high up in my stacks? After learning about the functions, I can clearly look back on my life and see examples of them. And all the added research I've done (like the method Jaguar mentions), back up my conclusions.

Fi: has been the lens through which I've always been aware of viewing the world, judging it by whether it aligns with my values, and values are of such importance to me that I even did my senior research project in college on values.

Ne: the whirlwind of possibilities, the inability to narrow focus, the what-ifs have always plagued me.

Regarding intuition versus sensing, I was never all that comfortable with physicality growing up. I was good at one game, I remember, on the playground, but that was after watching from the sidelines for a very long time before actually entering into it. I recall one driving mistake I made that reflected a lack of sensory awareness; in fact, I was uncomfortable with the whole idea of driving to start with. However, I know that some people are far more intuitive than I am, as my boyfriend is, and I am forced quite often into the needed role of sensor which is not always comfortable for me, though I am getting better at it, and am far more comfortable with my physicality than I once was.

I have an "INFP" friend who is similar in regards to a bombardment of "what ifs." I believe "infp's" are especially prone to ADD due to the divergence of their thought process into a dreamlike state. The quantity of ideas generated depends on the stimulus within the environment.... Introverted Thinkers will need a knowledge base (Si) to generate new ideas whereas feelers need previous interaction (Si) to fuel the emotional response. Modern times will definitely lead to an over stimulus due to the shear knowledge we now possess and the expansion of technology and transportation. Thus, it is clear how technology will lead to ADD traits. I wrote a book on "Modern Adaptation," which explains how we will adapt to modern expansion in the future...I also mention the issue behind rapid change, which will facilitate a larger communication gap between generations....leading to frustration. Clearly, we are increasing our skill-set in nonverbal reasoning and reducing our verbal proficiency....just think how much our language is being condensed to today....We are finding shorter ways to communicate because we are reducing the amount of time to achieve a particular task. If every event in your life is represented as a line segment, then in the future, there will exist more line segments per day to accommodate expansion....after all, expansion = more stimulus = more distractions........

IntrovertedCactus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
Yeah (@introvertedcactus), i'm taking the same path in that I need to understand the functions fully to gain closure. I'm mainly looking at the dominant and inferior functions to narrow it down. I do seem to lack attention to detail, and constantly am losing items such as keys. I also forget names and numerical details very easily, especially at work. I also noticed that I behave differently around certain people to avoid conflict.

Yes! The tests often neglect the fact that people don’t always behave the same in all scenarios.

As for the functions, I seem to type as an ISTP based on functions? But I type as an INTJ when I take the test? I’m trying to better understand the functions so that my results are more accurate, but I’m not great at self introspection. (Which is funny- because I type as an intuitive using the test)

Fe could be a main function, as Fe seeks harmony and cooperation. But this is only one scenario. It gets complicated, yeah?

Forgetfulness and inattentiveness towards details are usually attributed to percievers. Really, there’s so much to look into.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
My Mom is an ESFP (high Fi) and she always mentions how unthoughtful I am. She is very considerate of other's and always putting herself in people's shoes. I am quite analytical, so I am constantly trying to figure out solutions, and hence, less energy is put towards people's needs. When I was younger, I would annoy my uncle by constantly asking "why" questions. There were a few times that she mentioned how insensitive I was...One of which, I was working on a mathematical conjecture for two weeks straight....I become completely oblivious to my environment, so I ended up ignoring her on a few occasions. I never intent it to be that way, however, I do notice that I tend to offend certain people with my jokes. I can very quite oblivious to other's feelings in the present moment, but I do catch on by observing their behavioral patterns. I am also very sensitive when I get stressed, and tend to seek other's help to calm me down....but it doesn't last long. Perhaps, my inferior/tertiary function is related to this.

IntrovertedCactus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
My Mom is an ESFP (high Fi) and she always mentions how unthoughtful I am. She is very considerate of other's and always putting herself in people's shoes. I am quite analytical, so I am constantly trying to figure out solutions, and hence, less energy is put towards people's needs. When I was younger, I would annoy my uncle by constantly asking "why" questions. There were a few times that she mentioned how insensitive I was...One of which, I was working on a mathematical conjecture for two weeks straight....I become completely oblivious to my environment, so I ended up ignoring her on a few occasions. I never intent it to be that way, however, I do notice that I tend to offend certain people with my jokes. I can very quite oblivious to other's feelings in the present moment, but I do catch on by observing their behavioral patterns. I am also very sensitive when I get stressed, and tend to seek other's help to calm me down....but it doesn't last long. Perhaps, my inferior/tertiary function is related to this.

I, too, have been accused of being ‘insensitive’ in numerous occasions. I don’t mean to be, I’m just a bit oblivious to emotions at time. Half of the time, I don’t even recognize my own unless I really think about it. My sense of humor can be off putting to those who aren’t used to it. My INFJ mom is fine with it, but most people aren’t. I’ve also been accused of being... ‘intimidating’. I imagine it’s because of my resting facial expression. I always look angry, apparently. I also have to watch people closely to notice their feelings. It only works well with people who are consistent, like INFJs. When stressed, I turn off my emotions. Dissociate. Well, until it becomes too much. Then I get temperamental.

The tertiary function is known as the ‘relief’ function. It is supposedly the one that feels most natural and is used in creativity. It develops between ones teen years and midlife. Apparently it can feel unnatural or silly if underdeveloped? The inferior function seems to have more to do with insecurities. So yeah, it probably is one of those functions.

Lark

I'm not, in fact I'm not certain of typology and I think its even useful to be skeptical of other psychology, especially cognitivism even if the break throughs in AI and computer science have made it extra confident of itself.

rav3n

MBTI and typologies are pseudo-science at best. If you're looking to scientific methods and rigor to validate your type, it's not going to happen. That said, there's takeaway from it if people wish to self-evaluate and are honest with themselves. To flip that, IF people embrace the theory of the conscious and unconscious mind, it's not really possible to fully self-evaluate, relative to the unconscious mind.

IMO, the Big Five isn't a typology. It's trait based evaluation.

IntrovertedCactus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
It's not even that I strongly feel like an ENFP 4w5, it's just that I strongly feel like I'm not anything else. I just kind of slipped my way into here after some elimination and type-rejection. Types may not really exist anyway.

Process of elimination? Seems reasonable. Considering how most people aren’t actually as consistent as MBTI suggests, it is possible that there aren’t actually types.

IntrovertedCactus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so
MBTI and typologies are pseudo-science at best. If you're looking to scientific methods and rigor to validate your type, it's not going to happen. That said, there's takeaway from it if people wish to self-evaluate and are honest with themselves. To flip that, IF people embrace the theory of the conscious and unconscious mind, it's not really possible to fully self-evaluate, relative to the unconscious mind.

Scientific validation would be nice, but you are right—there isn’t any. Really, this is all speculation at this point.

Lark

That makes sense.

It probably is pseudo-science but then again I'd say a lot of knowledge and wisdom throughout the greater span of human history is probably pseudo-science too.

Jung's whole archeology of knowledge idea, interrogating ancient religions and cultures with the insights from modern psycho-analysis is something I've found interesting.

Lark

Scientific validation would be nice, but you are right—there isn’t any. Really, this is all speculation at this point.

That is a thing but keep in mind that most of the experiments upon which the majority of all psychological findings are impossible to replicate, even behaviourism and cognitivism which have the greatest pretense towards being a science.

Also if you consider Bretrand Russell's experience with mathematics, he attempted to apply greater rigor than ever before and finally decided that what he came up with just another set of axioms to replace those he disliked.

There's lots of other examples of that too.

hurl3y4456

MBTI Type
SINE
I, too, have been accused of being ‘insensitive’ in numerous occasions. I don’t mean to be, I’m just a bit oblivious to emotions at time. Half of the time, I don’t even recognize my own unless I really think about it. My sense of humor can be off putting to those who aren’t used to it. My INFJ mom is fine with it, but most people aren’t. I’ve also been accused of being... ‘intimidating’. I imagine it’s because of my resting facial expression. I always look angry, apparently. I also have to watch people closely to notice their feelings. It only works well with people who are consistent, like INFJs. When stressed, I turn off my emotions. Dissociate. Well, until it becomes too much. Then I get temperamental.

The tertiary function is known as the ‘relief’ function. It is supposedly the one that feels most natural and is used in creativity. It develops between ones teen years and midlife. Apparently it can feel unnatural or silly if underdeveloped? The inferior function seems to have more to do with insecurities. So yeah, it probably is one of those functions.

It's possible you are an "ISTP" if your inferior function is Fe, but you could also be "INTP." I score INTP on the questionnaire, yet I'm not fully certain. The main difference between the two is Se secondary Vs. Ne secondary. The former will result in the desire for sensation seeking and to immerse oneself in the external environment in some shape or form. That's the main reason ISTP's are called mechanics, however, it's not always the case. They could be interested in sports, cooking, exc. Now, an INTP would have the desire to explore the theoretical realm with ideas, assertions, theories, and conjectures. An ISTP and INTP may both be interested in exercise, however, their approach will most likely differ. The INTP would delve deep into the theory of physiology to implement a new way to achieve maximum results with minimum effort. The ISTP might exercise just for the endorphin release and to explore multiple techniques/forms to achieve maximum efficiency. I typically enjoy coming up with theories to why something will occur or make predictions into the future. For instance, I am working on a project relating to bridge de-icing, and am studying the effects of wind on thermal dissipation of a concrete slab. I want to study the rebound effect in respect to the projection of wind towards the slab based on a time frequency. So, a fan will be turned on/off in increments such that there will be alternating thermal loss and rebound. My conjecture is that the rate of change in temperature within the slab in response to full cessation of wind will be less than the change in temperature of the slab in response to multiple wind speeds. Otherwise, the temperature would maintain constant during on/off cycles. As the frequency approaches zero, the thermal response should theoretically match the response if wind was sustained (hypothetically). This is assuming the change in temperature due to wind is greater than the rebound (no wind case). You could also visualize the process....If wind is projected toward the surface of the slab, then there will exist some point x such that the effect of wind is negligible (assuming slab depth tends to infinity). Thus, if wind is ceased, the heat beyond point x will travel back towards the surface under some time t0. Hence, there will be a lag, which implies the rebound will be less than the sustained wind case. This is just an example of my line of reasoning.....I do think Myer's Briggs can be useful to accept other's behavior and allow one to be more open minded. Also, it allows you to adapt accordingly to certain situations such as dealing with people/clients at work.