First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by hurl3y4456 View Post
    Yeah (@introvertedcactus), i'm taking the same path in that I need to understand the functions fully to gain closure. I'm mainly looking at the dominant and inferior functions to narrow it down. I do seem to lack attention to detail, and constantly am losing items such as keys. I also forget names and numerical details very easily, especially at work. I also noticed that I behave differently around certain people to avoid conflict.
    Yes! The tests often neglect the fact that people don’t always behave the same in all scenarios.

As for the functions, I seem to type as an ISTP based on functions? But I type as an INTJ when I take the test? I’m trying to better understand the functions so that my results are more accurate, but I’m not great at self introspection. (Which is funny- because I type as an intuitive using the test)

Fe could be a main function, as Fe seeks harmony and cooperation. But this is only one scenario. It gets complicated, yeah?

Forgetfulness and inattentiveness towards details are usually attributed to percievers. Really, there’s so much to look into.

MBTI
    SINE

My Mom is an ESFP (high Fi) and she always mentions how unthoughtful I am. She is very considerate of other's and always putting herself in people's shoes. I am quite analytical, so I am constantly trying to figure out solutions, and hence, less energy is put towards people's needs. When I was younger, I would annoy my uncle by constantly asking "why" questions. There were a few times that she mentioned how insensitive I was...One of which, I was working on a mathematical conjecture for two weeks straight....I become completely oblivious to my environment, so I ended up ignoring her on a few occasions. I never intent it to be that way, however, I do notice that I tend to offend certain people with my jokes. I can very quite oblivious to other's feelings in the present moment, but I do catch on by observing their behavioral patterns. I am also very sensitive when I get stressed, and tend to seek other's help to calm me down....but it doesn't last long. Perhaps, my inferior/tertiary function is related to this.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by hurl3y4456 View Post
    My Mom is an ESFP (high Fi) and she always mentions how unthoughtful I am. She is very considerate of other's and always putting herself in people's shoes. I am quite analytical, so I am constantly trying to figure out solutions, and hence, less energy is put towards people's needs. When I was younger, I would annoy my uncle by constantly asking "why" questions. There were a few times that she mentioned how insensitive I was...One of which, I was working on a mathematical conjecture for two weeks straight....I become completely oblivious to my environment, so I ended up ignoring her on a few occasions. I never intent it to be that way, however, I do notice that I tend to offend certain people with my jokes. I can very quite oblivious to other's feelings in the present moment, but I do catch on by observing their behavioral patterns. I am also very sensitive when I get stressed, and tend to seek other's help to calm me down....but it doesn't last long. Perhaps, my inferior/tertiary function is related to this.
    I, too, have been accused of being ‘insensitive’ in numerous occasions. I don’t mean to be, I’m just a bit oblivious to emotions at time. Half of the time, I don’t even recognize my own unless I really think about it. My sense of humor can be off putting to those who aren’t used to it. My INFJ mom is fine with it, but most people aren’t. I’ve also been accused of being... ‘intimidating’. I imagine it’s because of my resting facial expression. I always look angry, apparently. I also have to watch people closely to notice their feelings. It only works well with people who are consistent, like INFJs. When stressed, I turn off my emotions. Dissociate. Well, until it becomes too much. Then I get temperamental.

The tertiary function is known as the ‘relief’ function. It is supposedly the one that feels most natural and is used in creativity. It develops between ones teen years and midlife. Apparently it can feel unnatural or silly if underdeveloped? The inferior function seems to have more to do with insecurities. So yeah, it probably is one of those functions.

I'm not, in fact I'm not certain of typology and I think its even useful to be skeptical of other psychology, especially cognitivism even if the break throughs in AI and computer science have made it extra confident of itself.

MBTI and typologies are pseudo-science at best. If you're looking to scientific methods and rigor to validate your type, it's not going to happen. That said, there's takeaway from it if people wish to self-evaluate and are honest with themselves. To flip that, IF people embrace the theory of the conscious and unconscious mind, it's not really possible to fully self-evaluate, relative to the unconscious mind.

IMO, the Big Five isn't a typology. It's trait based evaluation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It's not even that I strongly feel like an ENFP 4w5, it's just that I strongly feel like I'm not anything else. I just kind of slipped my way into here after some elimination and type-rejection. Types may not really exist anyway.
    Process of elimination? Seems reasonable. Considering how most people aren’t actually as consistent as MBTI suggests, it is possible that there aren’t actually types.
    Likes Qlip liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    MBTI and typologies are pseudo-science at best. If you're looking to scientific methods and rigor to validate your type, it's not going to happen. That said, there's takeaway from it if people wish to self-evaluate and are honest with themselves. To flip that, IF people embrace the theory of the conscious and unconscious mind, it's not really possible to fully self-evaluate, relative to the unconscious mind.

Scientific validation would be nice, but you are right—there isn’t any. Really, this is all speculation at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post

That makes sense.

It probably is pseudo-science but then again I'd say a lot of knowledge and wisdom throughout the greater span of human history is probably pseudo-science too.

Jung's whole archeology of knowledge idea, interrogating ancient religions and cultures with the insights from modern psycho-analysis is something I've found interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by IntrovertedCactus View Post
    Scientific validation would be nice, but you are right—there isn’t any. Really, this is all speculation at this point.
    That is a thing but keep in mind that most of the experiments upon which the majority of all psychological findings are impossible to replicate, even behaviourism and cognitivism which have the greatest pretense towards being a science.

Also if you consider Bretrand Russell's experience with mathematics, he attempted to apply greater rigor than ever before and finally decided that what he came up with just another set of axioms to replace those he disliked.

There's lots of other examples of that too.

MBTI
    SINE

Quote Originally Posted by IntrovertedCactus View Post
    I, too, have been accused of being ‘insensitive’ in numerous occasions. I don’t mean to be, I’m just a bit oblivious to emotions at time. Half of the time, I don’t even recognize my own unless I really think about it. My sense of humor can be off putting to those who aren’t used to it. My INFJ mom is fine with it, but most people aren’t. I’ve also been accused of being... ‘intimidating’. I imagine it’s because of my resting facial expression. I always look angry, apparently. I also have to watch people closely to notice their feelings. It only works well with people who are consistent, like INFJs. When stressed, I turn off my emotions. Dissociate. Well, until it becomes too much. Then I get temperamental.

The tertiary function is known as the ‘relief’ function. It is supposedly the one that feels most natural and is used in creativity. It develops between ones teen years and midlife. Apparently it can feel unnatural or silly if underdeveloped? The inferior function seems to have more to do with insecurities. So yeah, it probably is one of those functions.
    It's possible you are an "ISTP" if your inferior function is Fe, but you could also be "INTP." I score INTP on the questionnaire, yet I'm not fully certain. The main difference between the two is Se secondary Vs. Ne secondary. The former will result in the desire for sensation seeking and to immerse oneself in the external environment in some shape or form. That's the main reason ISTP's are called mechanics, however, it's not always the case. They could be interested in sports, cooking, exc. Now, an INTP would have the desire to explore the theoretical realm with ideas, assertions, theories, and conjectures. An ISTP and INTP may both be interested in exercise, however, their approach will most likely differ. The INTP would delve deep into the theory of physiology to implement a new way to achieve maximum results with minimum effort. The ISTP might exercise just for the endorphin release and to explore multiple techniques/forms to achieve maximum efficiency. I typically enjoy coming up with theories to why something will occur or make predictions into the future. For instance, I am working on a project relating to bridge de-icing, and am studying the effects of wind on thermal dissipation of a concrete slab. I want to study the rebound effect in respect to the projection of wind towards the slab based on a time frequency. So, a fan will be turned on/off in increments such that there will be alternating thermal loss and rebound. My conjecture is that the rate of change in temperature within the slab in response to full cessation of wind will be less than the change in temperature of the slab in response to multiple wind speeds. Otherwise, the temperature would maintain constant during on/off cycles. As the frequency approaches zero, the thermal response should theoretically match the response if wind was sustained (hypothetically). This is assuming the change in temperature due to wind is greater than the rebound (no wind case). You could also visualize the process....If wind is projected toward the surface of the slab, then there will exist some point x such that the effect of wind is negligible (assuming slab depth tends to infinity). Thus, if wind is ceased, the heat beyond point x will travel back towards the surface under some time t0. Hence, there will be a lag, which implies the rebound will be less than the sustained wind case. This is just an example of my line of reasoning.....I do think Myer's Briggs can be useful to accept other's behavior and allow one to be more open minded. Also, it allows you to adapt accordingly to certain situations such as dealing with people/clients at work.