• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What would a stupid NT look like?

Amberiat

Infinity
Type doesn't have anything to do with IQ, NTs are just more inclined towards abstract/rational thinking, having a natural preference towards logic doesn't mean you need to be highly intelligent.

That's a question an NT with low self-confidence would ask though, in my opinion.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I suppose a better question what would a mediocre INTP look like. I suppose you might want to look at 4chan where all the INTPs hang out.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In the case of an Ni dom, one that is too introverted and ignores both their auxiliary Te and somehow ignores their tertiary Fi. Goes someone who says the same thing in loops.

Te dom would just command for the sake of commanding and think the world is exactly run their way and their way is right alone.

Ti dom would be very much paranoid as nothing really would match internally as it is externally. Thinking somehow reality did it wrong.

Ne dom would haphazardly be scatter brained chasing fruitless things endlessly.

This is the stupidity of the NT types with no regard to other functions but just running on bare minimum. More fictional than real.

Often times I think people purposely act stupid to avoid situations they don’t want to get into and not have responsibility or are just too power hungry and not satisfied unless life is their way they envisioned it.

People will get frustrated with both because their goals whether internal or external do not align with theirs.

Hope this wasn’t a “stock” answer for you.

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
Not meant to pick on NFs, let's expound on what I mean. NFs can get offended if you call them stupid, in the way they perceive intelligence, as they'll get offended if you call them lots of things: self-centered, boring, jerk, and this is natural. Typically they're subconsciously offended because these critiques aren't actually true overall as conflict with the self. In contrast, NTs will get offended if you call them stupid because it conflicts with their subconscious idea of themselves, because "intelligence" is a very subjective thing, and we're offended by falsehood. NTs can oft come to specific conclusions in scenarios that they're unintelligent, but it's not really their overall way of viewing themselves. That is to say, T dichotomy is mainly just concerned with their "intelligence, reasoning capabilities," Ns will get offended if you call them "shallow or uncreative." Perspective and preference is what MBTI is built upon, so dom Judging types like INTP and ENTJ don't waste their time on estimating their rational capabilities, however emotional and sensitive they can be, something that isn't all type-related.

So my comment is true, but in a way it's also partly joking at MBTI terminology.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not meant to pick on NFs, let's expound on what I mean. NFs can get offended if you call them stupid, in the way they perceive intelligence, as they'll get offended if you call them lots of things: self-centered, boring, jerk, and this is natural. Typically they're subconsciously offended because these critiques aren't actually true overall as conflict with the self. In contrast, NTs will get offended if you call them stupid because it conflicts with their subconscious idea of themselves, because "intelligence" is a very subjective thing, and we're offended by falsehood. NTs can oft come to specific conclusions in scenarios that they're unintelligent, but it's not really their overall way of viewing themselves. Perspective and preference is what MBTI is built upon, so dom Judging types like INTP and ENTJ don't waste their time on estimating their rational capabilities. Their say is what's important.

So my comment is true, but in a way it's also partly joking at MBTI terminology.

Oh trust me, there are plenty of NT’s Irl and this website that get plenty offended

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
define stupid?

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Type doesn't have anything to do with IQ, NTs are just more inclined towards abstract/rational thinking, having a natural preference towards logic doesn't mean you need to be highly intelligent.

That's a question an NT with low self-confidence would ask though, in my opinion.

well how proficient do you imagine someone with iq 80 would be at abstract / rational thinking? types are, basically, data processing strategies. It wouldn't make much sense for a personality to develop "NT" traits with a brain not able to handle abstraction very well. I mean I could see it with ENTJs to a degree (the lowest av. IQ NTs @ about 100 iq) but a 'low iq intp' would pretty much be an istp, dealing with more concrete data rather than abstract models, or an istj - using 'culturally accepted wisdom' to comprehend the world. Now yes ofc there's plenty of smart istps - I believe istps and istjs they're the smartest 'sensors' on av.

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh trust me, there are plenty of NT’s Irl and this website that get plenty offended

The whole hidden agenda of being NT is actually from being offended.

For NFs it's more like "I'm offended k. o well. Let's focus on you now :nerd:"

Amberiat

Infinity
well how proficient do you imagine someone with iq 80 would be at abstract / rational thinking? types are, basically, data processing strategies. It wouldn't make much sense for a personality to develop "NT" traits with a brain not able to handle abstraction very well. I mean I could see it with ENTJs to a degree (the lowest av. IQ NTs @ about 100 iq) but a 'low iq intp' would pretty much be a istp, dealing with more concrete data rather than abstract models.

I don't think they would be proficient at it at all, that doesn't mean they wouldn't attempt it though, they would just be bad at it.

Just like I think using IQ as an absolute to quantify intelligence is dumb.

In return, let me ask you a question instead, you said a low IQ INTP would be something like an ISTP, not dealing with abstract models at all for whatever reason, what would a high IQ ISTP be like then?

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
That’s actually a good question because I can think of 2 or 3 different definitions for the word.

The first might be willfull ignorance. A person who isn’t necessarily dumb or particularly low in their intellect, yet doesn’t question anything or show a lot of skepticism, chooses not to seek answers, doesn’t really challenge themselves.

The second is more like a form of absent mindedness, in which case I don’t know that even falls under “stupid”.

Then the third would be what most people probably think of when seeing the word: someone who is, regardless of their curiosity, openness and willingness to think outside of the box, just not all that bright, probably under a 70 IQ

Pardon me, I just typed this on a whim on my phone so the definitions need to be tweaked and refined.

Ok in this case I think it would perhaps be a good distinction to use the term 'wisdom' instead of intelligence. Lots of NTs are anything but wise as it takes a willful effort to be honest with oneself and others and develop a truthful rather than self serving world view.

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've had many deep visions about EQ and its closer approximation to intelligence. But after all, the subject is vastly unknown: How can a mind inclusive of itself understand completely itself? It's contradictory to assume we understand intelligence or what it is, when we're using itself to figure out itself.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I don't think they would be proficient at it at all, that doesn't mean they wouldn't attempt it though, they would just be bad at it.

In return, let me ask you a question instead, you said a low IQ INTP would be something like an ISTP, not dealing with abstract models at all for whatever reason, what would a high IQ ISTP be like then?

Well two things.
1) I never stated or believed that IQ was an absolute measure of intelligence, as that's unreachable. It is however a very good measure of it. (intelligence, not wisdom)

2) a high IQ istp, well my sister is one (an actual rocket scientist) assuming her IQ is somewhere around mine and given her academic record she must clock at 130 to 150 iq - so I can tell you how she is.
She has a PHD in engineering, specializing in thermodynamics as applied to aeronautics and works at an actual space agency. MBTI is about preference, and accordingly she prefers dealing with concrete matters.

She'll be the gall designing a wing for it to achieve whatever goal you have in diff environments and @ different speeds considering multiple variables (expected durability etc.).

She is more of a 'party person' than pretty much all intps I know, enjoying travelling, night outings etc. I guess the main difference between someone like my sister and a lower iq istp is that she's able to follow abstract reasoning at somewhat of a high level - though she doesn't have a preference for it, and when dealing with abstract matters she likes it to be directly relevant to some concrete outcome.

She generally sees me as the 'smart one' as I have more ease than her when it comes to abstract modelling and abductive reasoning, but I suppose she would crush me any day of the week @ calculating stuff in her head and the dynamics at play in anything mechanical, though she might not be aware of it as I have a quasi instinctual pattern recognition capacity allowing me to pretty much always know what 'went wrong in a system' without going through the steps she does - though i don't think that makes me better at it, just quicker at spotting the needle in the haystack without needing to reverse engineer the whole thing.

I hope that answers your question.

TL;DR: an average to below average ISTP is your car mechanic, a high iq ISTP is your friendly neigbhourhood rocket engineer.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Often times I think people purposely act stupid to avoid situations they don’t want to get into and not have responsibility or are just too power hungry and not satisfied unless life is their way they envisioned it.

i love playing stupid... there are a Lot of reasons to do it...

Tina&Jane

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Probably similar to what any "stupid" person would look like: ignorant, narrow minded, unwilling to see new ways of doing things, bigoted...

That's how I define stupid though, so it might look different to someone else.

rav3n

I have two high IQ ISTP siblings who have higher IQs than myself and I'm no sad sack (I've posted pics of my mensadk and mensano results pics in an album in my profile and even though they're not the same as my stanford-binet results, they're very close). We've all taken proctured IQ tests (stanford-binet). My husband's a high IQ INTP. Comparing the two types, they can both be pedantic but the ISTPs are more application and in the moment/situationally focused than the INTP. So, relative to intellectual consistency, my husband's far more consistent over time but it takes quite a bit more time for him to conclude. The ISTPs can contradict themselves in the same conversation since they're more reactive and positional. When you point out their logical inconsistencies, they get angry.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this even a thing? A low IQ NT? What would they look like? Do you know any personally? Have any examples or anecdotes?

They ask a lot of irrelevant, nitpicky questions that don't add much depth or further understanding to a discussion...all the while believing the illusion that they are incredibly smart and insightful. It's basically a mental masturbation loop. I have only met a few of them. On the other hand, "smart" NTs usually will ask precise/ well-timed questions (or say comments) without being tryhards.

Most of the NTs I have known seem at least slightly above average to high IQ. My close INTJ friend was average/slightly above average but lacked intellectual intensity.

Last edited:

Icedream

Absurdus Malum
MBTI Type
ENFJ
They ask a lot of irrelevant, nitpicky questions that don't add much depth or further understanding to a discussion...all the while believing the illusion that they are incredibly smart and insightful. It's basically a mental masturbation loop. I have only met a few of them. On the hand, "smart" NTs usually will ask precise/ well-timed questions (or say comments) questions without being tryhards.

Most of the NTs I have known seem at least slightly above average to high IQ. My close INTJ friend was average/slightly above average but lacked intellectual intensity.

Hah! You've got them all pegged!