• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Physically tense vs. relaxed and MBTI

Sineva

Is there any correlation between MBTI and some people constantly displaying physical tension / up-tightness, some people constantly being relaxed / flaccid?

This tends to be an extremely noticeable difference when I observe people. Some seem as though they're 24/7 ready to deflect a punch or win a court case, while others tend to be 24/7 jellyfish.
Could this be connected to the functions they naturally align with? (in terms of Jung functions)
Or could this be just a general J or P thing, or a S or N thing? (in terms of dichotomy)

rav3n

Relative to general trending, Js will be more uptight and Ps will be more flaccid.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Relative to general trending, Js will be more uptight and Ps will be more flaccid.
Flaccid depends on situation :doh:

I find each type is tense in situations they arent good at handling and relaxed when comfortable....situations will tend to be more type related then actual tense or relaxed. Upbringing also plays a huge role in tense vs relaxed.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Is there any correlation between MBTI and some people constantly displaying physical tension / up-tightness, some people constantly being relaxed / flaccid?

There's none.

I am generally calm and self-possessed. You cannot direct a blow if you're not grounded.

Upbringing also plays a huge role in tense vs relaxed.
This tends to be an extremely noticeable difference when I observe people. Some seem as though they're 24/7 ready to deflect a punch or win a court case.

The trend you have observed of the jittery Js who have a general passive-aggressive communication style are mostly plagued with insecurity, possible childhood trauma, still haven't overcome, and are afraid to show their underbelly, which is why they always seem to be on that defensive mode. Understandable.

This is not type related, really. Js or Ps, all of us can be exposed to experiences that can call for different coping mechanisms that influence our quotidian state of mind.

Sineva

There's none.

I am generally calm and self-possessed. You cannot direct a blow if you're not grounded.

The trend you have observed of the jittery Js who have a general passive-aggressive communication style are mostly plagued with insecurity, possible childhood trauma, still haven't overcome, and are afraid to show their underbelly, which is why they always seem to be on that defensive mode. Understandable.

This is not type related, really. Js or Ps, all of us can be exposed to experiences that can call for different coping mechanisms that influence our quotidian state of mind.

I would assume that your specified "general passive-aggressive"-ness would be limited only to specific situations/environments if it would be dependent on specific traumas or whatnot.
I was asking about the constant display of a certain demeanor, regardless of environment. I was implying that it's related to / is provoked by how the person psychologically receives/interprets/processes information. (kind of like, let's say, a narrow tube would have to be made of a very dense/rigid material to survive a strong current of water, while a wide tube could be made of a softer material because it would ease the tension by giving the current more space)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would assume that your specified "general passive-aggressive"-ness would be limited only to specific situations/environments if it would be dependent on specific traumas or whatnot. I was asking about the constant display of a certain demeanor, regardless of environment. I was implying that it's related to / is provoked by how the person psychologically receives/interprets/processes information. (kind of like, let's say, a narrow tube would have to be made of a very dense/rigid material to survive a strong current of water, while a wide tube could be made of a softer material because it would ease the tension by giving the current more space)
Its only limited if its under a certain threshold. Once humans pass a threshold overlap occurs and stressors are no longer applied to current situation as it becomes an actual mindset/demeanor/way of life to apply to the world.

Es are more likely to confront the world where Is are more likely to change gears internally. Both are tense and not relaxed. Both are seeking a relaxed state. Its not type dependent at all.

In regard to your tube analogy...life can create rigidity and softness and the huge dynamics we encompass. MBTI is how we process life. The most tense will be people who have not learned how to process life or stuck in a way where they are unable to lean on their strengths. There is no one way to process life. We all have weaknesses, but you still gotta play toward strength while fixing weakness. Lets Lake a narrow tube. It maybe narrow in one direction and wide in another. You would not turn it directly sideways so the wide portion is fully against current without expecting it to possibly break. But you can turn it slightly so it still has strength while we find and work on weakness so it can turn more.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find each type is tense in situations they arent good at handling and relaxed when comfortable....situations will tend to be more type related then actual tense or relaxed. Upbringing also plays a huge role in tense vs relaxed.

There's none.

A combination of these comments. The more we experience life and learn to trust our own abilities, whatever they are, the broader the range of situations in which we can display that calm and self-posession. How we do this and which situations pose the greatest challenge are likely to be type related, as Poki mentions.