• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

P vs J

mez

Let me know if my understanding of P and J is correct.

J types are stereo-typically viewed as those who always plan ahead, and approach every task and goal with a particular strategy, while P types can throw themselves into a task or a goal without having prior set up a plan or strategy.
This then puts those who don't strategize, into the P category, and those who do strategize, into the J category.

However, if cognitive functions and types are primarily concerned with cognition, rather than action, then the distinctive qualities of P's and J's shouldn't necessarily manifest through action (although sometimes they will), but will always manifest through anxieties and feelings.
Whether a J types acts on those feelings and actually starts strategizing will depend on his level of industriousness, commitment and will-power, rather than on just his cognitive orientation. Because different people experience different impulses, different people always want/desire to do different things, but not all people choose to satisfy those impulses/desires.
So, from a perspective of cognition, a J type will feel extremely anxious about taking on a task without having prior planned/strategized it through enough; and a P type won't experience any such anxiety because he's perfectly content and at ease about going with the flow.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
P types are simply preferring to take in lots of information before deciding, and J types prefer to make decisions quicker. That's it.
And, it should be noted, that the only difference is the 'preference'.
It should also be noted that these difference *have* to reflect your *external* preference as well, not internal.

From a pure MBTI perspective, it doesn't matter what you do - what do you "prefer". That's how basic this stuff is from a pure MBTI perspective.
There's no tricks here. No cognitive functions or anything. No having to prove yourself - you basically just pick which one you prefer and that's the end of that.

So do you prefer to perceive ie observe ie take in information (to the point it can delay a decision), or judge ie make decisions ie act quickly (to the point you act without enough information)?

That's the difference in a nutshell.
I think it's a horrendous way to type - but the above is all there is to it, from a pure MBTI perspective.

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
Correct @ Mez, it's best not to bring P/J into the situation until we have the correct definition/manifestation of the functions in human beings.

We can't say for instance Ps are information gatherers if IJs have primary Perception that spends all its time not coming to Judgments. Instead we say we're consistent that F/T are Judging functions, thus IP types are primary Judgers with strong convictions and mental maps.

N/S are the Perceiving / Information-Gathering functions. So for IJs, Ni/Si information unfolds from within and is played around / entertained, while Ti/Fi decides where information will be and remain based on strong internal systems of understanding. Ti/Fi is pretty locked in stone even though the IP type uses other functions. Xe are functions that only go off of context and situations, not internal sources, and we use all the functions, but in different orders.

The reason Ti and Fi are introverted is because IPs are building these complex Judgement systems and understandings of how to view the world. INxJs don't do this really, they are Information-gatherers more open to undecided speculation, perspectives and just going with big picture ideas to test. EJs and IJs are situational Judgers when its time to Extrovert/act/decide, they will come up with good contextual solutions that work (Te or Fe,) but primarily, most of the time, INxJs are Open Percievers and introverts. Judgment ideas come from T/F. That's why we truly need to understand the difference between Introverted Intuition and Extraverted Intuition {take a look}, and not J-like intuition of "effortlessly getting answers" if it's about dominant Introversion, no INxJ could be an introvert. For, if the theory is that INxJs have Ni as a dominant process, it IS surely very taxing and thoughtful, and speculative. Precisely why I return to what I said about all Xi functions being Introverted and thoughtful, not quick deciding functions.

I hope we use our brains and experience on this one. My analogy of Ti/Fi types are like those who work on their personal Minecraft server for 10 years (no offense, love Minecraft) and stay with it on a personal level. It's a deep system that's constantly growing, making essential changes, but mostly bases on the same belief structure (the server) for years of work. Ni/Si have nothing to do with organizing beliefs, Ni can almost just be called "detached imagination" and switches its perspective rather well. As an INTJ, I'm good at just believing people for what they say, which is not really an INTP trait. My Ni tells me based on many years, that this is the correct way of typing via cognitive functions, and now I have a kind of 'Ti system' that I believe makes the biggest sense, and MBTI kinda screwed up the functions in making these P/J dichotomies.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The P/J distinction is really hard to discern based on just dichotomies. I would say you really can't truly grasp it.

It's best to look st the cognitive functions. Because if you can figure out one function the person seems to utilize a lot, you've narrowed your options down. Then the letters come. The letters are like a code.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Let me know if my understanding of P and J is correct.

J types are stereo-typically viewed as those who always plan ahead, and approach every task and goal with a particular strategy, while P types can throw themselves into a task or a goal without having prior set up a plan or strategy.
This then puts those who don't strategize, into the P category, and those who do strategize, into the J category.

However, if cognitive functions and types are primarily concerned with cognition, rather than action, then the distinctive qualities of P's and J's shouldn't necessarily manifest through action (although sometimes they will), but will always manifest through anxieties and feelings.
Whether a J types acts on those feelings and actually starts strategizing will depend on his level of industriousness, commitment and will-power, rather than on just his cognitive orientation. Because different people experience different impulses, different people always want/desire to do different things, but not all people choose to satisfy those impulses/desires.
So, from a perspective of cognition, a J type will feel extremely anxious about taking on a task without having prior planned/strategized it through enough; and a P type won't experience any such anxiety because he's perfectly content and at ease about going with the flow.

I’m going to speak from my own perspective as I don’t want to claim mine as a “P” stance. I think it’s ok to look for superficial tells that might give away a person’s type or that might help you narrow their typing down, so long as you’re also very much aware of the “why?” behind those tells. So the notion that Ps don’t like to plan or strategize prior to jumping into a task or situation is lacking to me because it doesn’t tell the whole story. Yes, to others, it might seem like I do those very things, but unless the person knows me beyond a superficial level, they aren’t going to know that my planning and strategy doesn’t outwardly appear like what most might consider planning and strategizing. I just have a different version of it, but both P and J types have this sort of element to them that keeps them grounded and resolute.

For me, that stability comes from what I know of myself and from deep introspection, fairly often as well. Because of this, I am fully aware what I can and cannot handle, and I have a level of confidence that allows me to “just jump in” because I know, and prefer, to sort of figure things out as they come. Oh, and that’s another part to all this, I prefer to “play” with things and figure it out as I go rather than guesstimate from experience or knowledge. Part of this is because I assume a tolerance for error to occur in nearly everything, so, my thinking is, why waste time planning and strategizing when I know nothing exists in a vacuum, that is my mind, when instead, I can focus on adapting and evolving as the situation unfolds in front of me. So, that inner confidence of mine, comes from understanding my capability, which ultimately stems from my agility and responsiveness to the environment around me. This isn’t strictly applied to the physical, but in thought as well. For instance, I hardly ever prepare speeches or put together notes. I find I deliver messages better when it’s off the cuff.

Summing it up, my own personal version of planing and strategizing does exist, for me, but outwardly, it doesn’t come across that way.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
P types are simply preferring to take in lots of information before deciding, and J types prefer to make decisions quicker. That's it.

This is wrong in so many levels I can't even pronounced.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This is wrong in so many levels I can't even pronounced.

That aspect, what [MENTION=33869]Turi[/MENTION] describes, is actually very true of me, at least when it comes to judging a person and coming to the conclusion of how I feel about them. It can take me God awful long to form any opinions of someone where others might form opinions of the same person rather quickly.

So at least in this respect, you have one less level to try and pronounce :newwink:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That aspect, what [MENTION=33869]Turi[/MENTION] describes, is actually very true of me, at least when it comes to judging a person and coming to the conclusion of how I feel about them. It can take me God awful long to form any opinions of someone where others might form opinions of the same person rather quickly.

So at least in this respect, you have one less level to try and pronounce :newwink:

I will often make initial 'snap' judgments of people, but I don't hold them to that - iow my opinion later on might solidify or it might totally shift. I guess that means I'm judgy. hahahaha

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp

For Ne-Fi is somewhat true, yes, but again it depends on decision. Because Ne-es are the biggest risk takers.
For Ti-Se not at all true. Ti-Se has Ni-hhaaa jumping. :D

Difference between J and P?

P - spontaneous <------- ;)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I will often make initial 'snap' judgments of people, but I don't hold them to that - iow my opinion later on might solidify or it might totally shift. I guess that means I'm judgy. hahahaha

Honestly, (this is something I’ve been thinking of for a little while) I think it’s simply the difference between Fi doms and Fi auxs, not so much that you or other like-minded people are judgy of people but just the general inner dynamic of how others are perceived within the subjective world of the individual. I get the sense that EFPs, are slow to form judgements of people, or slower than IFPs, but then once they’ve made that judgement, it ain’t moving. Whereas for IFPs, I feel like they do make those sort of snap judgements but are very much flexible in that judgement since their auxiliary function is a perceiving one.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
For Ne-Fi is somewhat true, yes, but again it depends on decision. Because Ne-es are the biggest risk takers.
For Ti-Se not at all true. Ti-Se has Ni-hhaaa jumping. :D

Ahh, I could see that, and I should’ve specified that I was thinking in terms of Ne being a part of the mix.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly, (this is something I’ve been thinking of for a little while) I think it’s simply the difference between Fi doms and Fi auxs, not so much that you or other like-minded people are judgy of people but just the general inner dynamic of how others are perceived within the subjective world of the individual. I get the sense that EFPs, are slow to form judgements of people, or slower than IFPs, but then once they’ve made that judgement, it ain’t moving. Whereas for IFPs, I feel like they do make those sort of snap judgements but are very much flexible in that judgement since their auxiliary function is a perceiving one.

That makes sense to me, and also reflects what I have seen of some Ne-doms -- once a judgment/assessment is made, even if it's actually wrong in the end, hoo boy you gotta dig yourself into the trench because it's gonna be a long uphill battle to shift that again. haha (and sure, I can totally understand why, given the fact that it takes a while for that actual judgment to be made, thus it's not made 'lightly'; but if wrong, boy it can be frustrating :))

And yes, I totally admit to making initial judgments all of the time, but I'll definitely revise, heh. A lot of times I may be right or not too far off with my initial judgment, but definitely sometimes I'll end up doing a 180 about a person, for example.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

imo this is generally how it works and you've got the right idea, though I'd add that because, with a dichotomy view of things (which, let's be honest, almost everyone in the world who takes a test will be utilizing), it is preferential, so there will be J's who experience extreme anxiety per your example (and these folks do exist), there will be P's who are perfectly at ease with no prep and 100% go with the flow (and these folks certainly exist too), but then there'll be a bunch of people who experience some anxiety, moderate anxiety, a tiny bit of anxiety, and so on. [ie I think of it as a sliding scale, some people are almost disfunctional without planning everything, some people are disfunctional/unhappy if any planning at all is done, and a whole slew in between. That's the dichotomy approach. Which imo is kind of different from cognitive functions and the two may not necessarily align, though probably do in more cases than not]

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
P types are simply preferring to take in lots of information before deciding, and J types prefer to make decisions quicker. That's it. ...

So do you prefer to perceive ie observe ie take in information (to the point it can delay a decision), or judge ie make decisions ie act quickly (to the point you act without enough information)?

That's the difference in a nutshell.
I think it's a horrendous way to type - but the above is all there is to it, from a pure MBTI perspective.

Well, that's odd, cuz in Gifts Differing, Myers devoted a separate chapter to each dichotomy, and the J/P chapter ("Effect of the JP Preference") was the longest of the four, and described quite a lot of personality characteristics associated with being J or P.

So I'm not sure what you mean by a "pure MBTI perspective," but the perspective you've described doesn't sound like any official MBTI source I've ever seen.

Any thread reader interested in a lot of J/P input from me can find in a two-post roundup at Typology Central that starts here.

Section 4 of that roundup ("Difficult Decisions") specifically takes issue with Turi's notion that J's are more prone than P's to make decisions without gathering enough information first.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, that's odd, cuz in Gifts Differing, Myers devoted a separate chapter to each dichotomy, and the J/P chapter ("Effect of the JP Preference") was the longest of the four, and described quite a lot of personality characteristics associated with being J or P.

So I'm not sure what you mean by a "pure MBTI perspective," but the perspective you've described doesn't sound like any official MBTI source I've ever seen.

Any thread reader interested in a lot of J/P input from me can find in a two-post roundup at Typology Central that starts here.

Section 4 of that roundup ("Difficult Decisions") specifically takes issue with Turi's notion that J's are more prone than P's to make decisions without gathering enough information first.

Anybody that has access to Gifts Differing can simply read Chapter 7 themselves to understand my notion that P types prefer to take in lots of information before deciding, and J types prefer to make decisions quicker is accurate - to claim it sounds nothing like any official source you've read is a little disingenuous.

For our fellow readers, I present the following, from Chapter 7 of Gifts Differing.

THE JUDGING TYPES believe that life should be willed and decided, while the perceptive types regard life as something to be experienced and understood. Thus, judging types like to settle things, or at least to have things settled, whereas perceptive types prefer to keep their plans and opinions as open as possible so that no valuable experience or enlightenment will be missed. The contrast in their lives is quite evident.

Judging types believe life should be willed and decided, whereas perceptive types regard it as something to be experienced and understood.
Which one sounds like it's more concerned with deciding something, and which one sounds like it prefers to gather information in order to develop a fuller understanding first?

Judgment is eternally coming to conclusions—with the finality the word implies. Judgment really likes to dispose of things, even without the spur of necessity. Frequently judging types settle not only what they are to do themselves, but what others are to do. Given a little provocation, they settle what others are to think. The person who says “What you ought to do…” ten minutes after meeting someone new is a marked judging type.

J types are eternally coming to conclusions. Straight from Gifts Differing.

Less-marked judging types think to themselves what someone else ought to do, but suppress the impulse to speak out. Perceptive types do not even think it. They would rather hear about what a person is doing. Two immortal examples of perception are Kipling’s Rikki-tikki-tavi, whose motto was “run and find out,” and the insatiably curious Elephant’s Child who went around getting spanked for asking “why?”

"Run and find out" - find out what? Is it such a large reach to assume this might be in regards to more information?

Such inexhaustible interest in “what?” and “why?” does not conduce to finality. The perceptive types do not come to conclusions until they must—and sometimes not even then. Being cognizant of how many factors are involved and how much is still unknown, they are rather horrified at the eagerness of the judging types to decide a matter. The saying that “a bad decision is better than none” makes sense only to a judging type. Perceptive types always hope that they can solve the problem simply by understanding it better, by “seeing to the bottom of it” if they are intuitives or by “seeing it from all sides” if they are sensing types. Often they can. In such cases they are hardly conscious of judgment; the solution has been latent there in the situation and they have eventually “seen” what was the thing to do.

So the P types inexhaustible interest in "what" and "why?" does not conduce to finality, and they do not come to conclusions until they must (and, not even then, as noted).

It is also noted that P types are horrified at the eagerness of the J types to decide a matter - what does this reflect?
Clearly, that J types prefer to make decisions faster than P types. P types prefer to delay them in favour of gathering more information.

Of course, the perceptive types still need judgment. Their perception should be supported by an adequately developed judging process. Otherwise, they will drift downwind like a sailboat with its centerboard up. It takes judgment (either thinking or feeling will do) to give continuity of purpose and supply a standard by which to criticize and govern one’s own actions.

..and here, it is noted, that P types require Judging in order to actually make a decision lest they drift downwind like a sailboard with its centerboard up.
I wonder what picture this is painting, with regards to J types and P types, with regards to which one prefers to make decisions, and which one prefers to delay them in favour of gathering information?

At the other extreme, judging types with insufficient perception have no “give” or cooperation in them. If they lack an adequately developed perceptive process, they will be narrow, rigid, and incapable of seeing any point of view except their own. This characteristic of the relentlessly judging individual is recognized in the word prejudice—a prejudgment impervious to perception.

If J types don't have an adequately developed P process - they are noted as falling prey to being narrow, rigid, and incapable of seeing any point of view besides their own - and, note - that J is outlined here as a prejudgment impervious to perception - in other words, it's depicting somebody that prefers to make judgements *without* gathering as much information as may be required.

It also clearly opposes the P perspective whereby they might take in too much information, and therefore constantly prefer to delay making decisions.

Furthermore, if thinking or feeling types lack perceptions of their own, they will be obliged to rely on the forms of judgment in default of content. They will accept the forms current in their environment: Thinkers will depend on the formulas and accepted principles; feeling types will adopt the attitudes of approval and disapproval. But they will apply these mechanically, with no genuine insight into the particular situation. It takes perception (either sensing or intuition will do) to supply understanding, open-mindedness, and the first-hand knowledge of life needed to keep judgment itself from being blind.

Here, we see both forms of J - Thinking and Feeling, noted as decidedly not open to new information, making decisions in accordance with accepted principles and adopting attitudes of approval and disapproval without any genuine insight into the situation - something that is noted here, as what perception does - supplies understanding and open-mindedness.

Now, I ask you and our fellow readers - is my notion that J's are more prone than P's to make decisions without gathering enough information first untrue to Gifts Differing, an official source of information regarding the MBTI?

Have I mislead anybody?
Does my claim misrepresent the information?
Am I presenting an untruth?
Have I presented a completely subjective, and inaccurate understanding of the P and J divide?

You suggest my claim is not true to any official sources - I suggest you read the book again.

Compare the following, regarding J types:
Like to have matters settled and decided as promptly as possible, so that they will know what is going to happen and can plan for it and be prepared for it.

With this, regarding P types:
Like to keep decisions open as long as possible before doing anything irrevocable, because they don’t know nearly enough about it yet.

You can "take issue" with whatever you want - but the fact remains, my claim is true and accurate to an official source (Gifts Differing), and no amount of copy-pasta is going to change that.

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
But because we're talking primarily about cognitive functions, MBTI seems to be a mass oversimplification in providing the shortcut to define cognitive functions in the way you provided. Our top two functions are one Perceiving and one Judging. This is it for Js (where IJs are Js with perception focus > judgement):

- Js prefer the meaning and information in contexts settled (Je), while staying open to the deeper judgments/implications (Pi). Being actually J first or P first however depends on the Primary function. For Js, the conviction of Judgement goes towards how to gauge and reason utilizing the specific external context (Te/Fe), while the depth of Perception goes toward openness and flow about any internal foundations of thought and understanding of reality (Ni/Si, an openness towards these) where Js experience strong ideas or memories but only as a beginning, not as a foundational map or compulsory decision-making influence (Fi/Ti.) Then, Js gauge the external context to decide where things fit or what information is settled (Te/Fe) compared to IPs who make the overall decision via their internally rooted map of convictions. IPs usually pay attention to how the specific situation pans out after deciding (Ne/Se is secondary,) while for IJs, a "situation" is what turns broad and internal as they perceive a specific situation last in order. It's not really my fault that MBTI messed this up, so that at first it's more confusing for people to understand. I'll continue to attempt to illuminate.

- Ps prefer the deeper judgments/implications settled (Ji), while staying open to the meaning and information in contexts (Pe). Being actually J first or P first however depends on the Primary function. For Ps, (IPs are Ps with judgement > perception): the conviction of Judgement goes toward decision-making by utilizing their inward foundational understanding of reality. To simply develop Ti/Fi is the goal for everyone, but to use it fluently in making decisions is what Ti/Fi primaries do. Judge > perceive. Then they have an open mind for Perception which goes towards better understanding the external experience/circumstance (Se/Ne) and how it plays out, but not opening and mixing up their deeper comprehension of reality (like Ni/Si leaves open and undecided), not until tertiary. Ti/Fi is just as settled and decisive as Te/Fe, but this is where MBTI didn't plan to really understand the functions in people. This is why we have most Ns typing as Ps, when functionally, that's wrong. We can read a little bit of Lenore Thomson's book to officially understand why, but it's not as necessary as running these function order tests yourself, like testing Ti in types with I/T > N/S > F.

At first, it entirely depends on what you mean by "decisive;" plenty of Ni/Si doms aren't particularly decisive until something requires it, then it's not like we're more pushy or decisive than Judging primaries. Perceiving is our first priority. We're not in a hurry to use our secondary function more than IPs are in a hurry to use their primary function, and we're not like any proactive EJ who may mistake themselves as Introverted Perceiving because they're nonsocial. IJ's main way of life is Perceiving (broad-thought perceiving Pi > followed by specific circumstantial judging Je, when called for,) do not call Ni or Si types primary Judgers. IPs on one hand prefer basic outside information to be left open for testing--IJs aren't into that, and this doesn't mean were proactive to make things settled like EJs do. We can assume information/situations are settled, which IPs don't like to do. Understand this point clearly.

Te/Fe isn't the deeper holistic internal perspective IJs are searching for primarily, that is Ni/Si to ---> eventually Ti/Fi. I can speak for the majority of IJs when I say Te/Fe is often the defense mechanism for Ti/Fi: we're all seeking to develop our Internal Judgment (Ti/Fi), our overall understanding and convictions, but because IJs are very open cognitively we require something like temporary solutions of Te/Fe that work, not as a means to an end. Unlike EJs, we're mostly disinterested in deciding about specific external contexts because our main function is in the internal, holistic realm. That's why a secondary is called Secondary, it's pushed aside. This is why we really need to understand the cognitive functions as they truly exist in humans, not through any oversimplified definitions of J and P. If we want to define J and P, we do it after defining the functions as they truly manifest in humans. MBTI didn't do that. In order to do it, we do what I've been doing. Test people for dichotomy order, like I/N > T > F > S. Are you an introverted perceiver first, or introverted judger etc. Then, take careful note of how these functions actually manifest. It's not exactly MBTI pop-psychology, it's doing real studies.

Having something "settled" seems to have little to do with just Je but rather with your primary choice, where IPs on that subconscious level choose Judgement. If they had Perception primary then we could understand "openness," but this doesn't manifest in how the functions really are in humans. There's also not only speed of decision, but strength of conviction. IPs have Ti or Fi, they primarily have deep-rooted convictions and understandings for making decisions (the deepest of all the types), while this isn't as common a trait for IJs who are trying to develop that tertiarily, nor the least common for EJs who want to live purely in reality and the moment by making situational decisions and segmented plans. So what's to be said is, typing by functions isn't as simple as using simplistic dichotomies. Je for instance doesn't have mental subjective roots as the extraverted contextual orientation to Judgement. Te/Fe is very effective, and when used primarily it is very planned (that's where I think MBTI screwed up with IJs who don't seek this extraverted immersion & decision-making, but have Je toned-down to where Ji is.)

It's correct to call the Judging dominants the decision settlers, those who want it first as their primary focus. Call Perceiving dominants the open speculators, those who don't feel as comfortable forcing judgments and decisions. As an external Judger I can decide very well about situational contexts and actions to settle on, but that's not where an introvert's attention goes.

Last edited:

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
How to recognize that someone is P?

P -> spontaneous i.e. chaotic

End of story.

Jaguar

Like to have matters settled and decided as promptly as possible, so that they will know what is going to happen and can plan for it and be prepared for it.

It depends on the matter.

Like to keep decisions open as long as possible before doing anything irrevocable, because they don’t know nearly enough about it yet.

It depends on the decision.

But then, I'm a normal human being - not someone hanging out on an extreme end of a pole.