• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Ti

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
This isn't going well for you so far. I think I'll administer you the eyesight test.

Count how many times the MBTI tests for "values" and "interests", then count how many times it says "people" "relate to people's feelings" "sensitive to others' concerns" "care for others" "cooperative" "how my actions effect other people" "I'd rather be kind than smart."
Free Personality Test

_________

[spoiler=Answer key]Values/Interests - 0 times[/spoiler]

Will give you another chance to read with your magnifying glass https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/thinking-or-feeling.htm

Thinking (T) or Feeling (F)
Thinking refers to how people make decisions. Thinking people are objective and base their decision on
hard logic and facts. They tend to analyze the pros and cons of a situation and notice inconsistencies.
They prefer to be task-oriented and fair.

Feeling people are more subjective. They base their decisions on principles and personal values. When
making decisions, they consider other people’s feelings and take it in account. It is in their best mind to
maintain harmony among a group. They are more governed by their heart (Myers 65).
-MBTI Manual

"It is important to recognize that feeling should not be equated with irrationality. Indeed, Jung went out of his way to ensure that thinking and feeling were approached on equal grounds, classifying both as 'rational' functions. Jung also took care to distinguish the feeling function from emotions, essentially saying that the feeling function is charged with evaluating emotions." -Dr. A.J. Drenth

Back to Ti vs Ni now plox everyone.

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
Everyone bases their primary life decisions on personal values. But this is not how the MBTI test goes. I will answer you with the post you just quoted; please read it. And read the essence or gist below ↓ of how Fi/Fe manifests. It mentions values only once, in context to the rest of the description: I realize there are some people out there sticking to overcompensate Jung's Introverted Feeling with MBTI, but Jung left the reigns over to a new model, which has nothing to do with this selfish version of Fi, something we all have. Fi and Fe in MBTI are concerned with others and are the dependent methods of decision-making. Calling Feeling more than what it is in the MBTI itself, simply causes problems if you can't stick to one definition:

Feeling (F) from myersbriggs.org
I believe I can make the best decisions by weighing what people care about and the points-of-view of persons involved in a situation. I am concerned with values and what is the best for the people involved. I like to do whatever will establish or maintain harmony. In my relationships, I appear caring, warm, and tactful.

The following statements generally apply to me:

I have a people or communications orientation.
I am concerned with harmony and nervous when it is missing.
I look for what is important to others and express concern for others.
I make decisions with my heart and want to be compassionate.
I believe being tactful is more important than telling the "cold" truth.
Sometimes I miss seeing or communicating the "hard truth" of situations.
I am sometimes experienced by others as too idealistic, mushy, or indirect.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Everyone bases their primary life decisions on personal values. That's not how the MBTI test goes. I'm going to have to simply respond to you with the post you just quoted; please read it. If you guys need magnifying glasses, check on amazon.

I'm aware of how the MBTI assessment goes. I've taken it twice, once with a practitioner and once solo where I could write extended answers instead of multiple choice and skip questions as needed, because I have a copy. And the assessment sucks btw...and the definitions from the MBTI manual, etc. still remain. It's not called a test, btw.

Edit: with all due respect, I didn't really make this thread to debate T vs F.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Here is what I already know about Ni vs Ti.

Ni: Convergent theories. Identifies underlying motives and causes.
Ti: Subjective methods and strategies; reductive approach toward knowledge.

Ni collects and synthesizes subconscious information to produce convergent impressions, insights, answers, and theories.
Ti seeks self regulation, self-control, self-direction. Skeptical toward knowledge, examines techniques, problems, concepts, theories.

What else? Can anyone give examples?

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ti: develops one's firm extensive map of reality and its facets, ideological, confident, relates holistically what's beyond external situations (Xi), converges to a single 'correct' perspective, strong technical conviction and understanding of topics

Ni: symbolizes and repaints perspectives and aspects of reality, imaginative, open-minded, relates holistically what's beyond external situations (Xi), other worlds or perspectives for interpretation, creates original topics, oriented to big picture

Ti is subject Judgement--the detached holistic rationale
Ni is subject Perception--the detached holistic questioning

Te is object Judgement--the situational context rationale
Ne is object Perception--the situational context questioning

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The definitions I follow are:
Ni - Organizes known abstract connections
Ti - Decides and builds identity on personal reasons

To even get to Ti and Ni, you have to determine so many other things, functions-in-attitudes is total minutia, but those are the definitions of the two.

For some examples:
Ti - Sam Harris (Ti/Si), Tim Cooke (Ti/Ne) and Bear Grylls (Ti/Se).
Ni - Rick Beato (Ni/Fi), Casey Neistat (Ni/Ti), Derren Brown (Ni/Fe) and Tai Lopez (Ni/Te).

EDIT: I'd like to add - "abstract connections" in the Ni descriptor relates to non-tangible information - imagined information, if you will - there is nothing mystical or magical about it, it just means, not literally "real" in the physical world - imagine you're on the moon and jump in low gravity <-- there we go, imagined information in your head. Not literally on the moon, are you - it's basically just "imagination" in the model I prefer. Couldn't care less who said what re: what is "really" intuition. There's either real-world sensory facts (Sensation) or imagined information (Intuition). Done.

We all do it, every day. Some people prefer it over Sensation, some people don't. Some N saviors are better at S than S saviors, and vica versa, strength/skill etc doesn't play a role in this model.

Now with regards to "known abstract connections" then it's simply revisiting non-tangible information you already know and are aware of - that's it, that's the introverted aspect of it - so it'll be revisiting your own perspectives and observations within your imagination, no more no less. Nothing special.
Ne, on the other side - wants to gather more of that, new ones - so it seeks them out - this is the extraverted aspect, whereas Ni doesn't, in favour of what the person already knows (introversion).

That said - we can all do everything, Ni folk can gather new abstract connections, and Ne folk can revisit old ones - the ability to "do" anything doesn't play a part here.

Last edited: