• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] I'm at it again with the INTP-or-INFP stuff

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
Hi! My personality seems to fit firmly between INTP and INFP, due to the fact that I have aspects of both Ti and Fi. The theory I've been going with is that the 'function stack' concept is wrong and that people actually have function clusters, i.e. groups of functions without exclusive rules. But I figured I'd list some of my INTP and INFP traits here to see if you guys think that one possible type stands out more that the other.

Reasons why I might be an INTP:
- I'm studying IT at the moment and I'm pretty good at it. I actually enjoy coding.
- I'm very interested in finding the most efficient way to do things, and I've compiled a whole archive of knowledge about this subject, from many different sources. My motto when approaching tasks is 'there's always an easy way.'
- I google everything, all the time. I've spent hours reading wikipedia articles that have no relevance to my life.
- I'm not good at openly expressing negative emotions, and I'm very good at adopting a cheerful mask to cover things up.
- If a theory seems wrong, I like to put my own spin on things and fix it. Not to tell anyone, just to sort out my own thoughts about life.

Reasons why I might be an INFP:
- My passion in life is writing and my other passion in life is music. I've always had a thing for the arts.
- I like nature, flowers, animals and all those things.
- I'm perceived as someone with a warm and gentle temperament.
- If someone says something I agree with, I react in an almost exaggerated way, like a really strong "yes, exactly!" kind of thing. This seems Fi-ish?
- I strongly resist being controlled in any way.
- Meme-like facial expressions and random noises are some things I've been called out on, lol.

So... what do you think? Am I genuinely a bit of both? Or do I fit one type more closely than the other?

Suaimhneas

It seems like some of your reasons are related to interests and hobbies... and while there may be common trends with certain types, I'm not sure if it's accurate to use them as criteria to type yourself. IMO any type can have an interest in a variety of hobbies versus them being exclusive to any one type. Also, I feel that not expressing negative emotions and even putting on a mask doesn't necessarily make INTP > INFP. I think that many INFPs are actually extremely closed off when expressing their emotions to others due to Fi being introverted in nature. In response to your exaggerated phrases of agreement... I think this can apply to many people as well. I have an INTJ friend that hates small talk, but if you reference something of interest to her she has this extremely animated reaction and is 1000x more expressive than her typical aloof presentation. I could go more in detail with your various examples, but those are just a few things that stuck out to me. That being said, I relate to many of the examples you provided and I too struggle with typing myself as INTP or INFP. ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
True lol~
Those little traits seem to be the things that MBTI focuses on though? I mean if we dismiss those we might as well say that none of this MBTI stuff is relevant at all haha.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmmm I cant really tell from those examples above but I can help out a little here by asking a few questions I typically use to tell the INxPs apart. The two INxPs are super easy to tell apart as dom feeling and thinking are really easy to tell apart. Are you more into delpvoing your own logic of how things all work out or are you more a moral and personal discoverer. Another possibility to consider if you are finding it hard to tell feeling and thinking apart but are sure of Ne is to consider ENxP or ISxJ as the ENxP/ISxJs have balanced thinking/feeling.

Suaimhneas

True lol~
Those little traits seem to be the things that MBTI focuses on though? I mean if we dismiss those we might as well say that none of this MBTI stuff is relevant at all haha.

Not exactly... while those 'little traits' can be accurate, sometimes they are stereotypes that pigeonhole people into types without considering the cognitive processes and preferences that drive them.

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
Fair enough. Out of curiosity, how did you decide your type/s?

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
Hmmm I cant really tell from those examples above but I can help out a little here by asking a few questions I typically use to tell the INxPs apart. The two INxPs are super easy to tell apart as dom feeling and thinking are really easy to tell apart. Are you more into delpvoing your own logic of how things all work out or are you more a moral and personal discoverer. Another possibility to consider if you are finding it hard to tell feeling and thinking apart but are sure of Ne is to consider ENxP or ISxJ as the ENxP/ISxJs have balanced thinking/feeling.

I guess to answer the first question I'm more into developing my own logic of how things all work out. I don't really understand the whole 'moral and personal discovery' thing, but I've always had my own strict sense of morality.
I've considered both ENxP types, but the only reason I haven't stuck with either of them is because I know a few ENxPs in real life, and I'm not that much like them.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I guess to answer the first question I'm more into developing my own logic of how things all work out. I don't really understand the whole 'moral and personal discovery' thing, but I've always had my own strict sense of morality.
I've considered both ENxP types, but the only reason I haven't stuck with either of them is because I know a few ENxPs in real life, and I'm not that much like them.

So far you seem more INTP to me. All the INFPs I know off have a strong personal journey which is a very Fi thing. I don't see any Fi from you so far and I usually pick up on Fi really quickly. Id also agree with your 9w1 typing too.

Suaimhneas

Fair enough. Out of curiosity, how did you decide your type/s?

I haven't yet.. it's something that I still struggle with pinpointing. For a few years I was quite confident that I was an INFP, but when I really delved deeper into MBTI a year or so ago I started to second guess myself. I tend to be very cynical.. even quite nihilistic regarding life. I see some situations objectively in ways that might make some 'feeling types' horrified, yet I tend to internalize these thoughts due to my dislike of conflict and asserting my opinion. That being said, I don't necessarily see things in black in white... rather in shades of gray. I can still see the beauty and connection in many elements of life despite my pessimism. Perhaps I am just an INFP that has been disillusioned with the reality of the world I have grown to know in my life? I'm not sure.

Another possibility to consider if you are finding it hard to tell feeling and thinking apart but are sure of Ne is to consider ENxP or ISxJ as the ENxP/ISxJs have balanced thinking/feeling.

Can you explain what you mean with the T/F 'balance' of the ENxP/ISxJ types that you mentioned?

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
So far you seem more INTP to me. All the INFPs I know off have a strong personal journey which is a very Fi thing. I don't see any Fi from you so far and I usually pick up on Fi really quickly. Id also agree with your 9w1 typing too.

Well, cool. You're the second person on this site who has told me I seem more INTP so I guess there's a sort of consensus :) thanks for helping me figure it out!

I haven't yet.. it's something that I still struggle with pinpointing. For a few years I was quite confident that I was an INFP, but when I really delved deeper into MBTI a year or so ago I started to second guess myself. I tend to be very cynical.. even quite nihilistic regarding life. I see some situations objectively in ways that might make some 'feeling types' horrified, yet I tend to internalize these thoughts due to my dislike of conflict and asserting my opinion. That being said, I don't necessarily see things in black in white... rather in shades of gray. I can still see the beauty and connection in many elements of life despite my pessimism. Perhaps I am just an INFP that has been disillusioned with the reality of the world I have grown to know in my life? I'm not sure.

You sound a lot like me lol

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Can you explain what you mean with the T/F 'balance' of the ENxP/ISxJ types that you mentioned?

Basically ENxPs and ISxJs have feeling and thinking in the middle of their stacks like ISFJ is Si/Fe/Ti/Ne and ENTP is Ne/Ti/Fe/Si. INxPs and ESxJs on the other hand have feeling and thinking on opposite ends like a INFP is Fi/Ne/Si/Te and a ESTJ is Te/Si/Ne/Fi.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nothing on your lists are clear indicators.... i share many of your "infp traits", but i doubt i will often be seen as infp...

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
Sounds intp to me. The 9 enneagram seems to be good bridge between the two sets of traits you listed.

A pretty clear indicator (to me) that separates fi dom and ti dom, is that fi essentially means you're a huge lover. Where as fe means you are loved. Fi doms come can come off as mean where as Fe doms (users of fe in general) are just gonna come off like they don't care as much.

I get that your gentle and likeable and that's normal for an intp.

An infp would come off more like, they're a really sweet person, but they can be mean to someone's face too. But if they love you, they realllyyy love you.

The interests you listed don't sound atypical intp to me at all really.

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
Sounds intp to me. The 9 enneagram seems to be good bridge between the two sets of traits you listed. A pretty clear indicator (to me) that separates fi dom and ti dom, is that fi essentially means you're a huge lover. Where as fe means you are loved. Fi doms come can come off as mean where as Fe doms (users of fe in general) are just gonna come off like they don't care as much. I get that your gentle and likeable and that's normal for an intp. An infp would come off more like, they're a really sweet person, but they can be mean to someone's face too. But if they love you, they realllyyy love you. The interests you listed don't sound atypical intp to me at all really.

Ooh, yeah, I'm more like an intp then.
Intps seem to get portrayed as abrasive elsewhere on the internet, and the whole 'rational and logical' stereotype seems to attract some really distasteful people into identifying with it, hahaha. I guess that's why I thought I wasn't one.
Thanks for the explanation!

Suaimhneas

Sounds intp to me. The 9 enneagram seems to be good bridge between the two sets of traits you listed.

A pretty clear indicator (to me) that separates fi dom and ti dom, is that fi essentially means you're a huge lover. Where as fe means you are loved. Fi doms come can come off as mean where as Fe doms (users of fe in general) are just gonna come off like they don't care as much.

I get that your gentle and likeable and that's normal for an intp.

An infp would come off more like, they're a really sweet person, but they can be mean to someone's face too. But if they love you, they realllyyy love you.

The interests you listed don't sound atypical intp to me at all really.

So by your standards would someone that struggles with assertion and conflict automatically be an Fe user? What if that someone openly lives out their personal values and principles, versus the held or expected mores of the group, but does not engage in confrontation? Someone that may withholding a judgment or thinking something "mean" while not presenting it to someone's face?

Can you also explain what you mean by a huge lover (Fi) compared to someone that, "comes off like they don't care as much" (Fe)? I imagine an Fi user to be open and loving to those they have opened up to or brought into their inner circle, while being more blasé of aloof to others around them. Comparatively I would think an Fe user would be more outwardly engaging and friendly.

TheCheeseBurgerKing

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
[MENTION=36966]Suaimhneas[/MENTION]

You're understanding of the functions seems right.

I was comparing two negatives to paint a picture. Now you're taking one positive and one negative and comparing them, which is not the same context that I used them in. Not to mention you sound like an ass.

I don't like you're attitude so I'm not gonna respond to any thing else you said.

I made a comparison to help someone gain an understanding, which seemed to work. The comparison was in no way addressed to you.

Suaimhneas

[MENTION=36966]Suaimhneas[/MENTION]

You're understanding of the functions seems right.

I was comparing two negatives to paint a picture. Now you're taking one positive and one negative and comparing them, which is not the same context that I used them in. Not to mention you sound like an ass.

I don't like you're attitude so I'm not gonna respond to any thing else you said.

I made a comparison to help someone gain an understanding, which seemed to work. The comparison was in no way addressed to you.

I'm sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to dig deeper into your answers to better understand your statement. Yea, I didn't make the OP, but does that mean I can't attempt to clarify your position so that I can understand how you got there?

AI_INTJ

I agree with the comment RE: you choosing this based on hobbies instead of actual thought/feeling patterns. I'm a definite INTJ, but that doesn't mean I'm completely cold-hearted and scientific. I work as a content strategist and editor in media technology, but I also write romantic novels. I love to organize and plan to maximize structure in my life, but I also enjoy lazy weekends playing the piano and reading some good fiction. What we entertain ourselves with isn't necessarily the "core" of who we are in the most explicit terms. I am an INTJ because I'm an introverted thinker who lives in a world of abstract analysis, and how that plays out in my life is a constantly evolving and blossoming thing.

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
I agree with the comment RE: you choosing this based on hobbies instead of actual thought/feeling patterns. I'm a definite INTJ, but that doesn't mean I'm completely cold-hearted and scientific. I work as a content strategist and editor in media technology, but I also write romantic novels. I love to organize and plan to maximize structure in my life, but I also enjoy lazy weekends playing the piano and reading some good fiction. What we entertain ourselves with isn't necessarily the "core" of who we are in the most explicit terms. I am an INTJ because I'm an introverted thinker who lives in a world of abstract analysis, and how that plays out in my life is a constantly evolving and blossoming thing.

Yeah, I see that by now, haha. The people on this site seem to have a stronger concept of what the thought/feeling patterns actually are than in other mbti resources I've accessed, so I'm gradually gaining some of that knowledge from the replies in this thread.
I just don't really resonate with type descriptions that say things like 'you're an abstract analytical thinker' or 'you're a dreamy person who is driven by morality' because those statements seem so vague and designed to appeal to the the Forer effect. I mean, almost anyone could say those things about themselves and it would be relatively true? Like, if I said to someone 'oh hi I'm an intuitive introvert' it wouldn't actually explain much?

Sorry, this is going totally off topic but I'm making myself laugh sooo like imagine that conversation playing out:
intp: hey i'm an intuitive introvert, are you some kind of extroverted intuitive or what
estp: nah mate i'm an impulsive extrovert with major sensing tendencies
intp: ah sorry dude my bad. so how's that living-in-the-moment thing going?
estp: yeah it's been pretty cool, can't complain
intp: yeah i gotta try some of that some time, i've been analysing future possibilities too much lately

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
So, you're an N primary type, since they have relatively equal F/T. You can't be confused if you're a T primary, because they're F inferior. Check out this post first to determine Ne or Ni primary: Ne vs Ni

Then figure out what your secondary function is: Functions (more on Ne vs Ni here as well)