• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] learning styles according to your type, T or F?

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hiiiiya :hi:

sooooo MBTI :wubbie: and learning styles :rock:

I did a course on udemy about this and thought I'd try and get more confirmation or non-confirmation of the info's validity.

-----

Disclaimer: this info was compiled by Tracy Atkinson and is included in the resources on the course linked above.

--

In terms of functioning pairs:

NFs (Valuing)
• Are people-oriented and idea-focused
• Want to know the gist of what is expected, while having room to do things in their own way,
while helping others
• Place great value on genuineness, empowerment, and meaning in work and in life
• Want to help others find their passions and reach their potential, while allowing others’ voices
and opinions to be heard
• May take criticism overly personally
• Might miss details and current realities while carrying out their own ideas and working towards
desired change
Interested in learning new ideas, how to understand people
Learn best through imagining, creating with others, writing
Need: general directions, freedom to be creative, frequent and positive feedback
Teacher needs to be warm, enthusiastic, have a sense of humor and recognizes individual learners

SFs (Relating)
• Are people-oriented and practical
• Want to know detailed expectations for completing tasks and helping others up front
• Place value on consistency, harmony, and good relationships in their environment
• Want to help people get through their days as comfortably and with as little difficulty as possible
• May take criticism too personally
• Might avoid conflict to preserve harmony, even when conflict may improve the situation in the
end

(damn I think she forgot to change this bit - it's repeated on both the SF's and NT's)

--Interested in theories and global explanations about why the world works and the way it does
Learn best by categorizing, applying logic, analyzing
Need: big problems to solve, intellectual challenges, allowed to work
Teacher needs to treat them with respect, then will respect teacher--

--So will attempt to complete it myself--

Interested in the human value of something that can be applied in the real world.
Learn best by hands on acticities and socially interactive activities.
Need: a way of giving their input to the situation which will benefit the group and clear and concise instructions with some freer and more fun activities in the mix.
Teacher needs to know what they are talking about and be warm. Keep teacher talk down.

NTs (Visioning)
• Are logical and idea-focused
• Want to know the gist of what is expected, while having room to design their own, logical
systems and carry their visions
• Place great value on competence, expertise, and the logical soundness of ideas
• Want to critique and improve ideas and strategies, with an eye on the big picture and sound
models
• May struggle to see ideas, realities, and details that do not fit with their visions, systems, and
plans
• Might struggle with interaction in emotionally charged situations and taking the emotions of
others into account
Interested in theories and global explanations about why the world works and the way it does
Learn best by categorizing, applying logic, analyzing
Need: big problems to solve, intellectual challenges, allowed to work
Teacher needs to treat them with respect, then will respect teacher

STs (Directing)
• Are logical and practical
• Want to know detailed expectations for completing tasks and projects up front
• Place value on having, knowing, and consistently following standard operating procedures
(SOPs) for tasks that are to be repeated
• Want to know the bottom line and get things done in the most efficient, simple way possible…
no fuss, no muss.
• May struggle to adjust to change that seems unneeded and/or happens quickly
• Might struggle with interaction in emotionally charged situations and considering others’
emotions
Interested in facts about real things – useful, practical information about everyday activities.
Learn best through hands-on activities.
Need: precise, step-by-step instructions: logical, practical reasons for doing something
Teacher needs to treat all fairly.

Can get more specific - if you want me to, post on here (stating your type if I can't see it on your profile). And I shall dig out the gold ;)

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a SF I relate to the SF and NT profiles. Basically to me I learn and work best in a Harmony filled place with day to day stuff being peaceful and comfortable as possible but I also love a place where I can discuss abstract ideas logically and I can put forwards my ideas and I also tend to think on a big picture detached way.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am pretty sure I'm F, but in terms of learning I was more T-ish based on OP. Perhaps I compartmentalize everything, but for me learning was about learning.... thus the people oriented element wasn't the focus, the focus was the material at hand. And ultimately I hated group activities and preferred just doing everything on my own. (always thought that was more closely linked to introversion though, as well as knowing I'd generally get better results doing it all by myself :laugh:)

I guess based on OP, I'm a mix of all but NF?

(re my type... IsFp is prob best fit)

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I am pretty sure I'm F, but in terms of learning I was more T-ish based on OP. Perhaps I compartmentalize everything, but for me learning was about learning.... thus the people oriented element wasn't the focus, the focus was the material at hand. And ultimately I hated group activities and preferred just doing everything on my own. (always thought that was more closely linked to introversion though, as well as knowing I'd generally get better results doing it all by myself :laugh:)

I guess based on OP, I'm a mix of all but NF?

(re my type... IsFp is prob best fit)

Learning Style

ISFPs seek aesthetic pleasure through learning. They enjoy engaging emotions into the learning
process which helps them to retain new information. Active learning, participation and sensory
stimulation are the root foundations for exceptional learning opportunities. They need personal
involvement in their learning process. Although they need the be actively engaged in the learning
process, they still require the opportunity to think before speaking, which is common to introverts.
ISFPs are detail-oriented learners, preferring the details over the general concepts and theory.
They quickly learn and retaining knowledge, especially when associated with personal and human
values.
Practical knowledge has great value to ISFPs. They make quick connections to prior knowledge,
efficiently scaffolding information. They are experts at memorization, doing, and experiencing
knowledge.
Despite these attributes, occasionally the ISFPs will cram.
The most fulfillment they receive in learning is when it benefits others and their social circles.

Cognitive Environment

ISFPs prefer to learn in an active environment although independently. They prefer an
unstructured learning environment with a mixture of activities including a small amount of group work
and discussion. Groups need to be small and personal for ISFPs as well as their classroom size so that
they can develop strong relationships with their peers and instructors. Their learning thrives in an
atmosphere of loyalty and cooperation.
ISFPs enjoy personalized instruction which contains substantial amount of time for reflection
and independence. Deep reflection is critical for the ISFPs to comprehend and scaffold information.
Interaction, visuals, reflection, personalized instruction and a moderate teaching pace should be
components of the ISFPs cognitive environment

Taking away the human element - does that fit at all? :)