• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you have trouble discerning your type...

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
...Fi is probably not very high on the list.

Right? Right.

Agree or not?

(This is probably in the wrong section, feel free to move it, I'm to hungry to think clearly rn)

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
No. Difficulties understanding MBTI is not indicative of a typing.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No. Difficulties understanding MBTI is not indicative of a typing.

So according to you having trouble with introspection doesn't mean that introspection is probably not one of your primary was of making sense of the world? Seems like you're dismissing this out of hand tbh. I know "not type related" is a popular meme on this site, but sometimes it is type related, to a degree.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Normally I'd agree, I think this particular case is the exception, since Fi is basically introspection and mbti has a lot to do with that. But if you disagree you can always tell me why this makes no sense to you, it'd be much more convincing.

Fi isn't 'basically introspection'. Introversion in MBTI terms is synonymous with subjective. So technically, all introverted functions are introspection. Introverted Feeling is subjective morality.

MBTI is vague about its functions, but that's a flaw of the system and not the person trying to place themself within it. Not being able to figure out what your type is isn't a low Fi thing, it's a verification of definitions thing.

It's not type related, but if you really had to force a function to be responsible for it, I'd say Ti is more likely than Fi.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So according to you having trouble with introspection doesn't mean that introspection is probably not one of your primary was of making sense of the world? Seems like you're dismissing this out of hand tbh. I know "not type related" is a popular meme on this site, but sometimes it is type related, to a degree.

I stepped away while responding to the original version of this post, but I'll respond to this version of the post too.

Introspection isn't specific to Fi. There are reasons outside of poor introspection skills that can result in not being able to pinpoint what your type is. For example, not knowing what the functions are or misunderstanding what MBTI is designed to measure could also produce errors.

Your original premise was "Not knowing your type is indicative of low Fi". I refuted that. I didn't refute that having trouble with introspection is indicative of poor introspective skills.

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I stepped away while responding to the original version of this post, but I'll respond to this version of the post too.

Introspection isn't specific to Fi. There are reasons outside of poor introspection skills that can result in not being able to pinpoint what your type is. For example, not knowing what the functions are or misunderstanding what MBTI is designed to measure could also produce errors.

Your original premise was "Not knowing your type is indicative of low Fi". I refuted that. I didn't refute that having trouble with introspection is indicative of poor introspective skills.
This is assuming familiarity with mbti. Would have thought that would have been obvious. If someone is familiar with mbti and still can't figure out their type, they are likely not into or great introspection, since that's what it would involve at that point. Fi is far and away the main function that deals with it. So no, you didn't really refute anything.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
This is assuming familiarity with mbti. Would have thought that would have been obvious. If someone is familiar with mbti and still can't figure out their type, they are likely not into or great introspection, since that's what it would involve at that point. Fi is far and away the main function that deals with it. So no, you didn't really refute anything.

No. Regardless of how familiar you are with it, poor introspection is not the only reason you could struggle typing yourself and even then, poor introspective skills is not inherently tied to low Fi because Fi is not solely or more focused on introspection than any other introverted function.

Where are you getting this definition of Fi from? What is Fe if Fi is introspection?

MBTI Type
ISIS
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No. Regardless of how familiar you are with it, poor introspection is not the only reason you could struggle typing yourself and even then, poor introspective skills is not inherently tied to low Fi because Fi is not solely or more focused on introspection than any other introverted function.

Where are you getting this definition of Fi from? What is Fe if Fi is introspection?

What's your definition of Fi and what are some other reasons. You haven't really provided anything convincing.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What's your definition of Fi and what are some other reasons. You haven't really provided anything convincing.

As I've said before, Introverted Feeling is subjective morality. "What is good or bad according to me?"

Compare to Introverted Thinking, which is subjective logic "What is correct or incorrect according to me?" or Extroverted Feeling which is objective morality "What is right or wrong according to information available?"

Normally when someone asserts a point, they have to do some explaining first. It's bad form to shoot out an unsupported claim only to demand others to elaborate when they disagree. You presented the claim, you should be convincing me.

Again, what are your definitions of Fi and Fe?

ducks

Permabanned
MBTI (and/or Jung?) is kind of vague and a lot of people have different ideas about it. But the Jungian stuff equated introversion with turning inward or inside oneself and finding a kind of meaning or value in things, things that are almost always debatable to some degree. Extroversion, by comparison, turns outward and is much more focused on and defined by the external world, so it's usually verifiable in some way, but can also be very malleable.

I think it would be hard to introspect, without knowing what's valued or meaningful and why - the subjective experience or qualia. A problem perhaps for extroverts. But on the same token, without enough external input or experience, meaning and value that was once found may not align or mesh well with the surrounding world. And this would be a problem for introverts. I think introverts have a lot more problems sorting out how they see themselves and the world with how it actually is and will struggle with new experiences more, while extroverts have a harder time figuring out how they see things and what's important to them and why.

Maybe it's best to say that both are necessary to have a stable self-concept. But I do think this makes introverts naturally 'geared' towards introspection, even if the product of their introspection is not always or even very often represented well by the world around them.

Suaimhneas

I would disagree. There are a myriad of reasons that someone may have difficulty typing themselves, but I could see someone with Fi actually being more likely to have this problem. They are constantly reevaluating and determining how they feel about things... about who they really are. Take an INFP for example: Fi combined with their Ne means that as new information comes in they stop and reconsider how they feel about something again, even if they thought they already knew their position. I could see how this constant reassessment could lead to indecision, especially with typing themselves.

Enneagram
9w1
Ye INFPs are super identity confused alot of the times. I am too.
I feel like if anything, Sensors would have it easier since they aren't as likely to delude themselves into thinking they are what they usually aren't, what they feel like they wanna be but can't be. They just are, they see themselves through their behaviour and actions rather than playing pretend or acting out a type the way an intuitive does.

Sensory logic types are the best self typers and Intuitive feeler types are the worst. Why? NFs seem to overcomplicate literally everything. STs just know who they are alot of the time.

Amberiat

Infinity
On the contrary, strong Fi would probably make it harder to decide on a type, especially when coupled with Ne.

As with all things, that's not always the case though.