• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Teachers and your MBTI type

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Hiii all,

I'm an English teacher who is always looking to improve my teaching.

I'm wondering....

:saturned:

1. What is your type?

2. What do you wish teachers would have done better in your childhood or adulthood?

1. ISFP

2. Honestly, it's the general public school system I have an issue with since learning is so individual based. And forcing a certain curriculum with standardized testing doesn't work for everyone. For me personally, I would have preferred being taught in a more unconventional manner since I was always more on the creative/artistic side of the spectrum. I also wish teachers would make sure each student would really think about what they're learning while being more engaging and personable with the students. A couple of the best teachers I've had were pretty outrageous and challenged the school system themselves. One even implemented a no homework, no rote memorization, no standardized testing policy. Not sure how he got away with it all those years he taught, but somehow he did. I really also believe that introducing children to more abstract subjects from an early age would increase the likelihood of them thinking outside the box. But I digress.

Ocean_Breeze

1. I'm leaning towards being an ISFJ

2. My favourite teachers when I were at school were the ones who were understanding and made me feel included even though I was a quiet student. It's not possible to pay every student special attention, but some would make eye contact, smile and encourage the quieter kids whereas other teachers kind of ignored them. Also those who showed their 'human' side. Teachers can be quite intimidating when you're young but I remember my biology teacher commenting on how hectic her weekend had been or how she's feeling stressed by her workload and it made the environment much more comfortable for everyone. I don't know what age range you're teaching but my sixth form biology teacher (we had a fantastic biology department!) didn't talk down to us and made her lessons 'age appropriate' in that she didn't teach 17/18 year olds in the same manner she taught 11 year olds. With us she would get a chair, sit on our level and turn the lesson into an inclusive, interactive but not pressured discussion and environment. There was a mix of class discussions with small group work and some kids did better by having a big debate whereas some were unsure so didn't really put their thoughts forward until they were working in a small group of friends they weren't embarrassed in front of.

My least favourite teachers were ones who were inconsiderate of students feelings. I had an art teacher who would give very harsh criticisms of peoples work but she would announce it in front of the whole class and didn't listen when her students told her she was approaching giving feedback wrong and was upsetting people. I had a history teacher who saw his lessons as opportunities to have 'a bit of banter'. There's nothing wrong with having a joke in the classroom but these were often uncomfortable jibes made at other peoples expense and he again was totally unaware of how he affected the more sensitive people. There biggest thing is when he would pick on the shy students to answer and wouldn't leave them alone. I think it was his way of trying to build their confidence and get them out of their shell, but the stress of knowing you could be centre of attention at any second was really stressful and didn't help. The final trait in teachers that I hated was those scary teachers who would fly off the handle at the tiniest of things and would get angry at their students. I had one teacher where we went to his lessons and were scared to breathe too loudly for fear of being yelled at and woe betide anyone who forgot their folder or hadn't done the reading!

I think it's really great that you're asking people for their opinions on what makes a good teacher and it makes me think you're going to be considerate to your students- you're gonna be fab!

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with getting rid of standardized testing. Waste of time, we spent time learning how to cheat these tests instead of maybe learning what you actually need to know.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
1. ISFP

2. Honestly, it's the general public school system I have an issue with since learning is so individual based. And forcing a certain curriculum with standardized testing doesn't work for everyone. For me personally, I would have preferred being taught in a more unconventional manner since I was always more on the creative/artistic side of the spectrum. I also wish teachers would make sure each student would really think about what they're learning while being more engaging and personable with the students. A couple of the best teachers I've had were pretty outrageous and challenged the school system themselves. One even implemented a no homework, no rote memorization, no standardized testing policy. Not sure how he got away with it all those years he taught, but somehow he did. I really also believe that introducing children to more abstract subjects from an early age would increase the likelihood of them thinking outside the box. But I digress.

I agree, I've inadvertently started a mini revolution against using the 'textbook' - my students need more improvised and specific help. I'm lucky that that is the case as I lean towards more creative and spontaneous plus friendly teaching methods. Aand it does mean traditional teaaching is a bit of a challenge to my motivation, but it's a welcomed challenge, most of the time.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
2)

I wish they wouldnt have dismissed me as just lazy and bad and had actually looked into why I was struggling. I wish more of them reached out to me instead of just dismissing me. I wish that Id been properly evaluated at a younger age.

Im scared that... now that I finally have accomodations that it is too late. Im almost done with school and... although I am going to use the accomodations this year... I wish I had more time, earlier intervention, to find like... a way of dealing with school/life that worked for me. I feel like the people who get help when they are at a younger age are at a definite advantage. Not only because they are able to get help that works for them better... but also because they dont have to hear negative messages about how awful they are, that tear them down and make them feel stupid and bad... in their formative years.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
1. I'm leaning towards being an ISFJ

2. My favourite teachers when I were at school were the ones who were understanding and made me feel included even though I was a quiet student. It's not possible to pay every student special attention, but some would make eye contact, smile and encourage the quieter kids whereas other teachers kind of ignored them. Also those who showed their 'human' side. Teachers can be quite intimidating when you're young but I remember my biology teacher commenting on how hectic her weekend had been or how she's feeling stressed by her workload and it made the environment much more comfortable for everyone. I don't know what age range you're teaching but my sixth form biology teacher (we had a fantastic biology department!) didn't talk down to us and made her lessons 'age appropriate' in that she didn't teach 17/18 year olds in the same manner she taught 11 year olds. With us she would get a chair, sit on our level and turn the lesson into an inclusive, interactive but not pressured discussion and environment. There was a mix of class discussions with small group work and some kids did better by having a big debate whereas some were unsure so didn't really put their thoughts forward until they were working in a small group of friends they weren't embarrassed in front of.

My least favourite teachers were ones who were inconsiderate of students feelings. I had an art teacher who would give very harsh criticisms of peoples work but she would announce it in front of the whole class and didn't listen when her students told her she was approaching giving feedback wrong and was upsetting people. I had a history teacher who saw his lessons as opportunities to have 'a bit of banter'. There's nothing wrong with having a joke in the classroom but these were often uncomfortable jibes made at other peoples expense and he again was totally unaware of how he affected the more sensitive people. There biggest thing is when he would pick on the shy students to answer and wouldn't leave them alone. I think it was his way of trying to build their confidence and get them out of their shell, but the stress of knowing you could be centre of attention at any second was really stressful and didn't help. The final trait in teachers that I hated was those scary teachers who would fly off the handle at the tiniest of things and would get angry at their students. I had one teacher where we went to his lessons and were scared to breathe too loudly for fear of being yelled at and woe betide anyone who forgot their folder or hadn't done the reading!

I think it's really great that you're asking people for their opinions on what makes a good teacher and it makes me think you're going to be considerate to your students- you're gonna be fab!

As a fellow teacher I sometimes get silently angry with teachers that do these things! One collleague would say pretty bad things about students at break time, it was really annoying I'd be all happy after doing a good lesson (most of the time) and there she would be creating an awful emotional atmosphere. Honestly, I got really fed up of her.

Lately, I've been more conscious of how a teacher and his/her methods can affect introverts as I am extroverted I think I've been a little unconscious of these things --- always treating students with care though. Some students would tell me they didn't want to answer etc. So they felt comfortable enough to say it which is good. But anyhow the methods could be improved.

Since doing a course on MBTI and teaching styles on Udemy I've been much more conscious of all this.

And speaking to you guys is making me have more insights about the lessons I've taught recently.

Aaand thank you! When I do only a few lessons a week is when I'm at my best. And now I'm doing just that, so it's really fantastic times :) :)

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I agree with getting rid of standardized testing. Waste of time, we spent time learning how to cheat these tests instead of maybe learning what you actually need to know.

Yeah --- I have a student who gets really good grades in English tests but when he uses the language he feels like he can't communicate etc. I mean language lessons are so that you can use the language, not do a test! It says a lot about the lack of actual retention when using these types of tests and textbook 'schedules'.

Riverfairy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
2)

I wish they wouldnt have dismissed me as just lazy and bad and had actually looked into why I was struggling. I wish more of them reached out to me instead of just dismissing me. I wish that Id been properly evaluated at a younger age.

Im scared that... now that I finally have accomodations that it is too late. Im almost done with school and... although I am going to use the accomodations this year... I wish I had more time, earlier intervention, to find like... a way of dealing with school/life that worked for me. I feel like the people who get help when they are at a younger age are at a definite advantage. Not only because they are able to get help that works for them better... but also because they dont have to hear negative messages about how awful they are, that tear them down and make them feel stupid and bad... in their formative years.

Yeah some teachers can be rough.

It's this stupid idea that what 'constitutes' a 'good student' is a common sense and standardised thing. I think the main problem is they literally can't understand these differences in ways of being. Some aren't even interested in understanding... to whom I say: bring on the fight ya wankers :2ar15: