• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Undifferentiated Functions (Sensation and Feeling)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eric B has brought me a (likely short-term) renewed interest in studying Jungian psychology. After looking into undifferentiated functions I thought to find a real example of same. I'm no looking for a true story (since such stories are in abundance) but merely a connection with modern (less abstract) psychology.

From Psychological Types: 'Differentiation means the development of differences,
the separation of parts from a whole. In this work
I employ the concept chiefly in respect to psychological
functions. So long as one function is still so merged with
one or more of the other functions as for example thinking
with feeling, or feeling with sensation, etc. as to be quite
unable to appear alone, it is in an archaic (q.v.) state, and
therefore undifferentiated, i.c. it is not separated out as a
special part from the whole having its own independent
existence."
https://ia800201.us.archive.org/29/items/Vol06PsychologicalTypes/Vol 06 Psychological Types.pdf

To me, Jung is saying that undifferentiated functions are in a more-or-less confused state in which A kind of looks like B in such a way that the conscious mind has not worked out their actual differences. So as undifferentiated they are ruled more by an unconscious motive than by conscious goals.

So for example an individual seeks power or love through the faculty of sensation, but does not consciously recognize it. Confusing sex and love is a common psychological mistake, an intellectual error in which a person does not think to delve for motives within themselves but only acts automatically as feelings move them here and there, from relationship to failed relationship. These feelings don't only involve lust but also other feelings (desires) originating with the libido and masking themselves as a search for "true love." Within two months of being in a new love relationship sex with the partner will begin to seem less attractive, its possibilities have been exhausted, and one is left feeling drained and empty. The negative result of the relationship is due to the archaic nature of sensation and feeling when they are confused with one another. To find "true love" one must first clarify the nature of these two functions and taking responsibility for the haphazard decision-making it causes in choosing a relationship. Because sensations are often hormone-driven, which puts one's decision-making faculty (feeling in this case) at the mercy of nature's whims. In other words, you believe your decisions are based in love (as an ideal and moral virtue) when they are in fact sensation-driven, a product of lower desires and non-values.
The 6 biggest signs you're confusing sex with love.
Don't Confuse Sex With Love - The Sex MD

It is a likely tendency for women to confuse sex with love and for men to confuse sex with power, the latter being the primary motive behind rape (either real rape or play-acting rape). Such men seek the sensation of being in control of another person. The functions being held in an unconscious, undifferentiated state are Si and Se. A woman being subordinate in a "rape" relationship, who is probably a Supine personality type, gains a feeling of control from being "raped." You can see this with young women who subconsciously seek out sociopathic males. That's not to say that they don't know what they are doing, but they have no idea of the motive behind it because they have not successfully learned to distinguish sex from power. Differentiation does not occur to them, so caught up are they both, male and female, in the addictive sensation of power either directly with the male or vicariously with the female.
Sex offender: Why I became one and started raping women - Telegraph
BDSM acts as a psychoactive "drug," The Surprising Psychology of BDSM | Psychology Today

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It was Lenore Thomson who explained this dynamic to me. Undifferentiated functions are tied to the limbic system. Sex is obviously a natural instinct (and all the other stuff you describe there), and it of course involves both sensations and feelings. But these in their raw states are just physical stimuli. A function is differentiated when the cerebral cortex begins to interpret the data in a more cognitive way.