User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    NFP
    Enneagram
    458 sp/sx

Default "Is this an example of <insert cognitive function>?"

I figured we could use a thread like this.

Let's say you are unsure of your type and you have observed yourself doing something in particular, and you want to ask others if it is an example of a certain function.
    Or perhaps you just want to refine your understanding of the cognitive functions.

Please refrain from answering someone else's question unless you are fairly confident in your understanding of said function to avoid misleading others in their typing/intellectual journeys, or at least make it clear that you aren't completely confident (sometimes thinking aloud helps people process information better).
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likes Luminous, Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    NFP
    Enneagram
    458 sp/sx

So I just caught myself doing this, and I am wondering if it is an example of Te:

While filling out my child's field trip permission slip, which required $4.75, I had a brief moment where I contemplated putting in 4 one dollar bills and 3 quarters, or just sacrificing the extra 25 cents and putting in a five dollar bill. My reasoning, which happened very quickly, was that quarters are rather valuable overall to me because I pay for coin-operated laundry. Thus, I decided that sacrificing an extra 25 cents total with the purpose of not having to spare 3 quarters was the better choice for me personally.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    So I just caught myself doing this, and I am wondering if it is an example of Te:

While filling out my child's field trip permission slip, which required $4.75, I had a brief moment where I contemplated putting in 4 one dollar bills and 3 quarters, or just sacrificing the extra 25 cents and putting in a five dollar bill. My reasoning, which happened very quickly, was that quarters are rather valuable overall to me because I pay for coin-operated laundry. Thus, I decided that sacrificing an extra 25 cents total with the purpose of not having to spare 3 quarters was the better choice for me personally.
    There's a couple of possibilities..

..due to this all being self-oriented in the respect of you only looking at yourself for a decision, this might not be a decider function in the extraverted attitude.

I'd suggest the strongest case there is for Feeling - there is a Feeling value attachment to the quarters, and that's ultimately the way you rolled - though, there's clearly a case for Thinking via reasons as well (I'm just reading this as Thinking supporting Feeling, due to the way you wrote it, could go either way around).

Then there is an extraverted decider possibility - though, only via Thinking - in that your reasoning does indeed include an outside source, that is, the quarters are required for the coin-operated laundry (decider oriented externally).

Could probably warp a million different interpretations, but those are the two that stand out for me as being most obviously 'related'.
    Likes Peter Deadpan, Gentleman Jack liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So it seems you made this judgment based on convenience/efficiency, correct?

If so, this seems like a thinking-based decision.
    -VIDEO EPHEMERA PLAYLIST

poet, philosopher, scientist, xenophile, anthropologist, composer, destroyer, douchebag
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post

What source do you have that correlates Thinking to being "convenience/efficiency"?

I'm not being a douche, I genuinely want to know because I'm compiling as much (credible) information as I can for practical typing purposes.

Enneagram
    9w8 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Turi View Post
    What source do you have that correlates Thinking to being "convenience/efficiency"?

I'm not being a douche, I genuinely want to know because I'm compiling as much (credible) information as I can for practical typing purposes.
    You're not being a douche.

What Type of Thinker Are You? The Difference Between Extraverted and Introverted Thinking - Psychology Junkie
    Extraverted thinking is the process of understanding and organizing the external world through rational, logical thought. Te (extraverted thinking) users want everything to make sense, be in order, and want tasks and projects done quickly. They have little patience for pondering and mulling over decisions, but like to come up with quick, workable plans that they can enforce or get done right away.

Extraverted Thinking (Te) - Personality Growth
    Extraverted Thinking is also known to be decisive and make decisions quickly. It may weigh a couple options to see which is better, but it is primarily action oriented. The Extraverted Thinker may say, “okay these two choices are pretty similar. I’m just going to choose this one and get this task over with.” They figure they can accomplish 2-3 more tasks while someone else would still be wasting time figuring out which choice was better or more effective.

Socionics Information Elements: Te

In this case, I think she was using Te, because it seems like her brain quickly ran and chose the most efficient algorithm to achieve two goals (getting her kid enough money for a field trip fee and making sure she had laundry money readily available). There was a definite logic involved in her decision, though not an internalized, deliberated, ponderous logic (Ti) in this particular case. It was swift and results-oriented.
    -VIDEO EPHEMERA PLAYLIST

poet, philosopher, scientist, xenophile, anthropologist, composer, destroyer, douchebag

Destroyer of Souls Lord Lavender's Avatar

I think this is an example of me using Ti when I study something deeply and really want to study it to the deepest most logical level then im like ugh this gives me a headache is me using my inferior Ti. I understand the material its that it bores and stresses me out to go over pedantic logic.

MBTI
    NFP
    Enneagram
    458 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Turi View Post

He is correct about the emboldened. I'm just trying to determine if it's Te because the focus was on usefulness/efficiency.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Likes asynartetic liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne

He is correct about the emboldened. I'm just trying to determine if it's Te because the focus was on usefulness/efficiency.
    I think it was a good example of Te, the thought process you described in making that decision.
    -VIDEO EPHEMERA PLAYLIST

MBTI
    NFP
    Enneagram
    458 sp/sx

Nevermind, just read through.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯