• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP vs INFP

Infpgal

I'm very confused right now, because psychologically, based on my knowledge of the functions, which isn't extensive but it's decent, I've always identified with INFP, but recently I've almost entirely overcome social anxiety and I don't feel like an introvert anymore. Now it is no longer exhausting to be around people, I actually find I can just keep talking and jumping from one conversation to the next, and after talking to someone, and even by the end of a night out I am more energized than before. I also hate being alone unless I'm doing something or I'm outside now, I gravitate towards being in the same room as other people even if I'm not talking to them because I immediately feel better. This seems to me extrovert behaviour, and it feels like the source of my exhaustion prior when it came to socializing was more coping with anxiety, all of the thoughts and emotions, and maintaining an image with people. I know ENFP and INFP share the same functions, but are very different in their mental processing because of the stack order. They do have a lot of similarities, but there are distinct differences, unfortunately I'm not an expert as to what that looks like. I don't really know what to believe right now other than I feel like I am not an introvert.

Last edited:

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've heard it said that most people who can't decide between the two NFP types are ENFP. I think that's a bit of a generalized statement.

And I think it can be hard for Fi users to find their type because we're so in touch with our inner worlds and every feeling we have.

For me, I decided between the two NFP types by looking at my past. Your dominant function is what developed first, so to speak. You've had a close relationship with it your whole life. When thinking of that, I showed signs of being a little Ne user from a very young age, more so than Fi. I came to this conclusion through my own memories and asking my parents about what I was like. Then I realized that I'm acrually an extravert with introverted tendencies who at one point really drew back into her shell because she was rejected by many around her.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've heard it said that most people who can't decide between the two NFP types are ENFP. I think that's a bit of a generalized statement.

And I think it can be hard for Fi users to find their type because we're so in touch with our inner worlds and every feeling we have.

For me, I decided between the two NFP types by looking at my past. Your dominant function is what developed first, so to speak. You've had a close relationship with it your whole life. When thinking of that, I showed signs of being a little Ne user from a very young age, more so than Fi. I came to this conclusion through my own memories and asking my parents about what I was like. Then I realized that I'm acrually an extravert with introverted tendencies who at one point really drew back into her shell because she was rejected by many around her.

Good point. When I was a child, I wasn’t that Ne at all. I was all about upholding the often strange morals of the mind control cult I was in, and I was a reclusive, odd boy when I had to interact with people outside the cult unless I was trying to convert people. It was exploring other points of viewi as a teenager that drew me out of fanaticism and into nihilism. Not longer after becoming a nihilist, I became depressed, in part because I didn’t have something “objective” to point to as the source of my morals and without a reference, I just disintegrated. These days, its more like I just use Te, Ti, Ne, and Si, and eschew Se, Ni, and both feeling functions. I have a visceral reaction against just “going along to get along,” though, as well as other things Fe is supposed to deal with.

Fi these days, if I use it, is just a rubber stamper for whatever urges and cravings I have, which is generally to eat and sleep.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm very confused right now, because psychologically, based on my knowledge of the functions, which isn't extensive but it's decent, I've always identified with INFP, but recently I've almost entirely overcome social anxiety and I don't feel like an introvert anymore. Now it is no longer exhausting to be around people, I actually find I can just keep talking and jumping from one conversation to the next, and after talking to someone, and even by the end of a night out I am more energized than before. I also hate being alone unless I'm doing something or I'm outside now, I gravitate towards being in the same room as other people even if I'm not talking to them because I immediately feel better. This seems to me extrovert behaviour, and it feels like the source of my exhaustion prior when it came to socializing was more coping with anxiety, all of the thoughts and emotions, and maintaining an image with people. I know ENFP and INFP share the same functions, but are very different in their mental processing because of the stack order. They do have a lot of similarities, but there are distinct differences, unfortunately I'm not an expert as to what that looks like. I don't really know what to believe right now other than I feel like I am not an introvert.

Have you taken the Jung test on the home page? Post a link to your results.

Infpgal

Have you taken the Jung test on the home page? Post a link to your results.
No, but I took Human Metrics test, and came out: ENFP - 38% extroverted, 47% intuitive, 28% feeling, 12% perceiving
I've looked further enneagram as well, and I hear that type 4 ENFPs often misidentify as INFP for their strong Fi usage. I am a 4w3

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, but I took Human Metrics test, and came out: ENFP - 38% extroverted, 47% intuitive, 28% feeling, 12% perceiving
I've looked further enneagram as well, and I hear that type 4 ENFPs often misidentify as INFP for their strong Fi usage. I am a 4w3

I would take the one on the home page and paste in the URL. Typology Central Jung Test.

StarFollowed

Stardust
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have similar issues as well with deciding between ENFP and INFP. I find that the mbti tests are flawed, and although I greatly identify with INFP, I’ve settled for ENFP.