User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Default Does the tertiary function sometimes make the user appear like other types?

Whenever I usually observe other types, I can't help feel that when users use their third function, they come across as other types. Types who use their tertiary function come across as users who who have it as their first function. For instance, ENTJ with Se look at ESTP to me. ENFJ with their Se may come across as ESFP. INTP sometimes may remind me of ISTJ with their tertiary function. Has anybody noticed the same observation.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Yes. We often pretend to be something what we are not and this is territory of third function.
    True Neutral 8 1 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    "There is no intellectualism in faith. Both atheist and theist choose their belief system based on ego and self-preservation." by 2017
    === Challenger Perfectionist Motivator Inventor===

Some people tell me often that I am not normal and I don't know why?
    I am just ME.... Is it crime to be ME or what?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Norexan View Post
    Yes. We often pretend to be something what we are not and this is territory of third function.
    I have never heard of the third function is a function that people pretend to be something they're not. That would be a very interesting though.
    5w4,4w5,1

The Researcher

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Quote Originally Posted by great_bay View Post
    I have never heard of the third function is a function that people pretend to be something they're not. That would be a very interesting though.
    Because third function is a teen in your mind, it is a diva , a pop star which boost your ego.

This is my observation of 3rd function.

True Neutral 8 1 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    "There is no intellectualism in faith. Both atheist and theist choose their belief system based on ego and self-preservation." by 2017

Likes Mr Kovacs liked this post

MBTI
    STP

So i could be like an INTJ...say it isnt so...lmao
    Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    469 so/sx
    Socionics
    idk?

Yeah, no, you're right... I spent like 10 minutes typing something "creative", rereading it, deleting it because it wouldn't be as creative as I thought, and then starting the cycle all over again. :`) This is why I try not to reread my posts...

Also, you have to mention that there are other factors other than that. If you meet me in real life, I tend to reflect more of my Fi and Se, because I really don't feel the need to use my Ni (other than art class). But online, especially in forums that require more intellect, I tend to pull out my Ni and my Te because I don't think Fi and Se are fit for what I have to say. (Although if you do look close enough, there is a hint of Fi and Se hiding behind the things I type.)

I'm not too sure, but I feel like people use their tertiary because it's the closest thing to who they want to be and is obtainable. It makes sense that you become what you look up to, and, being humans, most people look up to something they lack or they aren't that good at. And usually, if it's too hard to get, we don't try. We think (or at least from my experience) "Oh, that's just who they are and what they're good at. I'm never going to be like them." Not too sure, but I view that our inferior function is the function we lose touch of the most. It's like trying to touch a bird without lifting yourself from the ground. Maybe with enough patience you can touch it, but for the majority of the time, it flies away. So, you try something like a cat. Still hard, but it seems more doable than a bird. So we start admiring the tertiary function and start working towards it, and if we admire it, maybe others will as well. As much as we would like to say that we don't care, especially when it comes to first impressions, we try to show others at least a little bit of what they might admire. (Unless you forgot that other people's viewpoints exist) when in reality, we would show our true selves in front of people who are close, which is our dominant and secondary functions.

Sorry if it seems confusing. I'm pretty hungry right now and I have a hard time thinking straight when my stomach is about to take control. If anyone needs a bit of reassurance, than feel free to asak questions and criticize because woops! Didn't mean to seem all over the place...
    While you're here reading this, yourself 50 years from now will regret it.
    Stop finding the light in this pitch black tunnel. It's probably heaven, hell, your problems stuffed into a vehicle about to ram you, or nothing but darkness. Try something else, like making your own light. You just need enough of the right resources and everything's clearer.
    Yes, you need rain to make a rainbow. But you also need light, and that's hard to forage when clouds fog the world above.

MBTI
    NxFe
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Possibly overcompensation for a weakness, real or perceived. The person might feel like they have something to prove. They might shove it to the forefront for all to see, and so they'd outwardly appear differently than they'd be "normally." If taken too far, it could come across as heavy-handed and exaggerated.

I've definitely been guilty of it in the past, to the point where I convinced even myself that that's who I was.
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Mr Kovacs liked this post

Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so

It's not just the "tertiary" function, it's both of your less preferred 'functions' - they can both manifest as a sort of fascination with what is known as stereotypical aspects of those function-attitudes.

More commonly, it's the inferior, imo.

YouTube

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Te

This guy is talking about unhealthy states of types. He mostly talking about people who looping 1st and 3rd (which is actually described as hell for mind) or 1st and 2nd, dismissed your 3rd and there is no developing of your 4th. Healthy types use all 4 functions. Not to mention that he calls 3rd function savior. Savior with behave like "pull yourself up" is your 2nd function.

Also he calls 4th function "demon" but it is not. Demon is your 8th function - root of all evil. 4th function still works for you and it is you.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Absolutely. The auxiliary isn't always a comfortable or expedient function so we might fall back on our tertiary, especially if it's a sensing function, in order to get by in day-to-day life and work.
    Steve heard the "mrrroooooooow" just in time to look up and see an orange ball of fur whizzing by his head. Suddenly there were flying furballs coming from all directions. The formerly placid suburb was now populated by loud "mrowws" and "mews" ascending and descending in pitch, not unlike a speeding police car's siren heard via the doppler effect. The cats were legless yet hovered by some phantom force, zipping around with their bushy tails flapping behind them.