• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does the tertiary function sometimes make the user appear like other types?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Whenever I usually observe other types, I can't help feel that when users use their third function, they come across as other types. Types who use their tertiary function come across as users who who have it as their first function. For instance, ENTJ with Se look at ESTP to me. ENFJ with their Se may come across as ESFP. INTP sometimes may remind me of ISTJ with their tertiary function. Has anybody noticed the same observation.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yes. We often pretend to be something what we are not and this is territory of third function. :)

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Yes. We often pretend to be something what we are not and this is territory of third function. :)

I have never heard of the third function is a function that people pretend to be something they're not. That would be a very interesting though.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have never heard of the third function is a function that people pretend to be something they're not. That would be a very interesting though.

Because third function is a teen in your mind, it is a diva , a pop star which boost your ego.

This is my observation of 3rd function.

2343.jpg

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So i could be like an INTJ...say it isnt so...lmao

anime_nature

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, no, you're right... I spent like 10 minutes typing something "creative", rereading it, deleting it because it wouldn't be as creative as I thought, and then starting the cycle all over again. :`) This is why I try not to reread my posts...

Also, you have to mention that there are other factors other than that. If you meet me in real life, I tend to reflect more of my Fi and Se, because I really don't feel the need to use my Ni (other than art class). But online, especially in forums that require more intellect, I tend to pull out my Ni and my Te because I don't think Fi and Se are fit for what I have to say. (Although if you do look close enough, there is a hint of Fi and Se hiding behind the things I type.)

I'm not too sure, but I feel like people use their tertiary because it's the closest thing to who they want to be and is obtainable. It makes sense that you become what you look up to, and, being humans, most people look up to something they lack or they aren't that good at. And usually, if it's too hard to get, we don't try. We think (or at least from my experience) "Oh, that's just who they are and what they're good at. I'm never going to be like them." Not too sure, but I view that our inferior function is the function we lose touch of the most. It's like trying to touch a bird without lifting yourself from the ground. Maybe with enough patience you can touch it, but for the majority of the time, it flies away. So, you try something like a cat. Still hard, but it seems more doable than a bird. So we start admiring the tertiary function and start working towards it, and if we admire it, maybe others will as well. As much as we would like to say that we don't care, especially when it comes to first impressions, we try to show others at least a little bit of what they might admire. (Unless you forgot that other people's viewpoints exist) when in reality, we would show our true selves in front of people who are close, which is our dominant and secondary functions.

Sorry if it seems confusing. I'm pretty hungry right now and I have a hard time thinking straight when my stomach is about to take control. If anyone needs a bit of reassurance, than feel free to asak questions and criticize because woops! Didn't mean to seem all over the place...

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Possibly overcompensation for a weakness, real or perceived. The person might feel like they have something to prove. They might shove it to the forefront for all to see, and so they'd outwardly appear differently than they'd be "normally." If taken too far, it could come across as heavy-handed and exaggerated.

I've definitely been guilty of it in the past, to the point where I convinced even myself that that's who I was. :shrug:

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not just the "tertiary" function, it's both of your less preferred 'functions' - they can both manifest as a sort of fascination with what is known as stereotypical aspects of those function-attitudes.

More commonly, it's the inferior, imo.

YouTube

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
This guy is talking about unhealthy states of types. He mostly talking about people who looping 1st and 3rd (which is actually described as hell for mind) or 1st and 2nd, dismissed your 3rd and there is no developing of your 4th. Healthy types use all 4 functions. Not to mention that he calls 3rd function savior. Savior with behave like "pull yourself up" is your 2nd function. :D

Also he calls 4th function "demon" but it is not. Demon is your 8th function - root of all evil. 4th function still works for you and it is you. :D

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Absolutely. The auxiliary isn't always a comfortable or expedient function so we might fall back on our tertiary, especially if it's a sensing function, in order to get by in day-to-day life and work.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
when I use my third function it comes of as a sucky version of Te I'm overly agressive where if i'm in my natural function i'm laid back and not agressive at all.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just look like your average tech worker ;-)

who’s highly perfectionistic and demands perfect results.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I would be curious to ask my coworkers what type they think I am (a good number of them are familiar with the MBTI and know their types) but, they already know my type so it would color their perceptions of me, but I almost exclusively work with Ne/Te so perhaps I may appear as a different type :shrug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The tertiary makes Ayn Rand look like an INTJ instead of an INFJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I wouldn't put it quite that way. Intuition (for the INTP) looks to Sensing to help with real life problems, particularly after noticing that Sensors have less trouble dealing with reality. For example, A Sensor will drive straight to a new location whereas the Intuitive ends up driving around in circles never finding it.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
I wouldn't put it quite that way. Intuition (for the INTP) looks to Sensing to help with real life problems, particularly after noticing that Sensors have less trouble dealing with reality. For example, A Sensor will drive straight to a new location whereas the Intuitive ends up driving around in circles never finding it.

ter function is a reason why INTP can see themselves as organized person (Si) but on same time there are messy person and couple of reasons why they often got INTJ on tests. :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always drive straight to a new location . . . because I look up how to get there ahead of time, and print myself a map.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Yes.
INFJ will be like ISTP
ENFJ will be like ESTP
ENTJ will be like ESFP
INTJ will be like ISFP
ESFJ will be like ENTP
ESTJ will be like ENFP
INTP will be like ISFJ
INFP will be like ISTJ

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do not get lost, once I have been there before. :dry:

I've had people assume I am a J a lot. I think I have actually gotten more comfortable with Si over the last few years.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, female INTPs can sometimes look a little INFJish.