• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enantiodromia and Reversal of Type

jdool894

From what I understand, one of the core suppositions of Jung's take on typology is that our type is inborn and permanent. However, when combined with Jung's concept of enantiodromia, it seems as if there's a contradiction. At the very least, I'm not seeing how they're reconcileable.

Here are several quotes from Jung on enantiodromia " I use the term enantiodromia for the emergence of the unconscious opposite in the course of time.…the transformation of the hitherto valued into the worthless, and of the former good into the bad.[7]

… the terrible law that governs blind contingency, which Heraclitus called the rule of enantiodromia (a running toward the opposite)…[8]

… a fundamental law of life—enantiodromia or conversion into the opposite;" In other words, the more one-sided our consciousness becomes, the more the opposing force builds in the unconsciousness, eventually drawing us into the opposite direction.

I could simply misunderstand enantiodromia, but why wouldn't this apply to types and/or the cognitive functions? Is this what's known as getting caught in the grip of the inferior function? Or could it be something more extreme, like an actual change in type? Anyway, I'm just trying to see how enantiodromia fits into typology.:D

Also, not sure what Jung means when he says " …the only person who escapes the grim law of enantiodromia is the man who knows how to separate himself from the unconscious, not by repressing it—for then it simply attacks him from the rear—but by putting it clearly before him as that which he is not"