• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] An ISFJ female seeking advice about an INTP male

Arlene17

I've met this INTP guy on a dating site and we immediately hit it off. We clicked and just after a few days we both know we like each other very much. He's the one who first opened up that he really likes me and he feels like falling in love, and I told him I feel the same way. But things start falling apart when I discovered that he lied to me about his past relationship after 2months of talking with each other. We talked about it, I forgave him, but I asked for some time away so I can think things through about us. I was quite disappointed because he lied to me and it's hard for me to trust people. After a week, I reached out to him and we talked again but I can't figure out why after that he started pulling away from me. He's not texting me everyday anymore, he seemed distant and cold, and it felt like he's really drifting apart.
I asked him if he doesn't want me anymore but he said his feelings never changed. But I was deeply hurt by the way he's acting towards me so I informed him that I'll delete my whatsapp so that I won't bother him anymore, he didn't protest but he said he doesn't want us to stop being friends on social media because he'll really miss me.
After that, we still reached out to each other from time to time, not everyday but almost just once a week. He's still open to me about his feelings when I ask him questions, and he still answers me right away and directly. But he told me he's seeing someone else but he isn't sure if the girl likes him. I was hurt but I remained calm and asked him if does that mean he doesn't have feelings for me anymore and he said he still feels the same for me. When I asked him how does he feel about me he said he feel love for me. I asked him if he loves the girl and he said "Nope". He called me after that and told me stories about the books he read and he also explained his feelings towards me. He said, Non-Verbatim: "I really really feel love for you that's why I don't want to hurt you. I am seeing someone else but that doesn't mean I don't have feelings for you."
Now, we're still communicating with each other but not everyday anymore. In total, we've known each other for about 4 months. I'm still hurting especially when I imagine that he is seeing that girl in person because they're in the same country while I am far away. I asked him yesterday if his feelings have changed but he said it didn't change. He is from Mexico but he said he's going back to the US for a 3months vacation and after that he's flying here to the Philippines to meet me in person and that he's serious about that.
I am really confused now. I wanted to let him go because I am feeling confused and miserable. But a part of me don't want to let go because I am always thinking that maybe he is just being an INTP who is always confused with emotions and feelings as well. So I am hoping that you can give me advice. Sorry for a very long post. :(

erijon3

Ah well, the best advice I think I can give is talk to him directly about it... And the way you feel

sends you support and luck

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Looks like bad news. It seems like he wants 2 girlfriends at once, and he wants you to feel like you're the one not being played. That's dangerous.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An INTP trying to juggle? Sounds like hell to me. My first thought was that he isnt an INTP. I dont see how he can rationalize seeing someone else while trying to keep you interested as well. He seems to have issues beyond "INTP and emotions".

I mean I have issues trying to talk to two people at the same time on a dating site well before anything is established, INTPs dont juggle.

Here are my two cents about long distance though. They hardly ever work out well unless one of you has a good oppertunity to move in a reasonable amount of time without giving up on education or a good career.

I think you shouldn't look for a romantic relationship with this dude.

unmagic

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I don't see why question the guy's type. It seems more reasonable to question the belief that INTPs don't juggle when presented with this kind of situation. There's people of all types who go outside of the stereotypical norm. MBTI isn't everything.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see why question the guy's type. It seems more reasonable to question the belief that INTPs don't juggle when presented with this kind of situation. There's people of all types who go outside of the stereotypical norm. MBTI isn't everything.

You are right. It was also just an instinctive first thought as I pointed out. Either way it is not a good sign in any situation and is ultimately unfair towards OP, regardless of what his reasons are. Which I could have pointed out better.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Sounds like you were wishy-washy with communicating your true feelings and you worded things in a way intended to "feel him out" indirectly. By not being direct about your feelings for him and saying things like "I'll delete my WhatsApp so I don't bother you anymore", you basically tested him to see what he would say/do to keep you.

I'm guessing you are pretty young, and that's fine, but adult relationships are built on communication and honesty and are void of games. You both need work in that department.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Also, you probably both have fears of rejection that is leading you to avoid just asking to be with one another.

rav3n

INTPs can want it all, particularly online when there are no repercussions to cheating. Close your whatsapp and walk away. There are billions of guys in this world.