User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Off to new adventures LittleCat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Lyrics are secondary to me - I usually only pick up on maybe half of the lyrics in English songs anyway, so I’m good with made up and foreign. As long as the music is appealing.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

As most nerds, I am a big fan of J-pop ( rock/orchestral whatever) honestly part of why I like it better is BECAUSE I can't understand most of the lyrics.

or at least, I couldn't.

Once I learned Japanese and could pick out phrases like " Kissu O" " Daikishimeru" " Rove you so much." seemingly hardcore metal industrial J-rock was ruined foreverock
    “ Rise up and raise the iron roof off
    Now, Rise up and riot 'til the bomb drops
    Now, Rise up the time is right to sound off, so
    Rise with me, rise with me, rise with me (RISE UP!)”
    Likes LittleCat liked this post

MBTI
    EVIL
    Enneagram
    641 so/sp

Emotions carry over regardless of lyrics. I listen to more foreign music than my native. I google translations of the songs I like, and it becomes a way of learning the language better.

Though I do find switching between languages to cause micro culture shock sometimes because some voices sound annoying and high pitched.

6w5 4w5 1w9

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LittleCat View Post
    Lyrics are secondary to me - I usually only pick up on maybe half of the lyrics in English songs anyway, so I’m good with made up and foreign. As long as the music is appealing.
    This is my perspective as well. When I like a song, it is usually more for the music than the lyrics, even if it is in English, my first language.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha
    Likes LittleCat, Enigma liked this post

MBTI
    GOOD
    Enneagram
    648 sp/sx

I have to know the lyrics. I can't enjoy them as much if I don't.
    ⸻ you are the ocean's grey waves,
    destined to seek life beyond the shore, just out of reach

Instrumental music ranks higher for me, and better yet, when it's in another language because then it's like a vocal accompaniment without the distraction of a set meaning. I appreciate well-written or soulful lyrics, but international music and instrumentals for me have a much, much higher replay value simply for the range of interpretation, that it can match a variety of moods, or generally speaking, more complex than a formulaic chorus-stanza song.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't feel any great need to understand the lyrics of song, or even listen to them. When I do, I often end up regretting it. Take Jarvis Cocker - some good songs, but if I listen to the lyrics of common people, it starts to irritate me because it's bullshit. If you've got the money to smoke and drink, you're riche enough to do something about your situation. Those aren't cheap habits. Stop blaming 'the system' or 'society' for you self created problems. As for "there's nothing else to do", well that just a massive failure of imagination. There's always something else to do. Buy a football and go have a kick about with your friends. Read a book. Get a life.

And that song about Debra? What loser. He spent his whole life pining after some women who didn't give a shit if he lived or died. Get over her and move on you pathetic sack of shit. Jarvis Cocker, you make me want to puke.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

I enjoy music regardless of language. I think it is the feeling that the music conveys and the actual sound in and of itself that make music work well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Like many, I like a lot of songs in foreign languages where I don't even know what's being said, so my being drawn to a song has much, much more to do with the quality of music, the rhythm, melody, instrumentation and artistry, vocal skill, emotion, and so on. (I also listen to a lot of classical/instrumental/electronic music without vocals at all)

Sometimes lyrics -- if you can actually hear and understand what's being said -- really add to the song. I find some lyrics really powerful and so the song becomes more impactful than it otherwise was, and speaks to and resonates with me. With some of these instances, I've actually looked the lyrics up online to fully know them. But most of the time I don't care so much what is being said.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Permabanned

this comes to mind