User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Default Is this Ti-Fe or Te-Fi?

I recently had a discussion with some friends about minimum wages, and it got me thinking about how we make judgments. Let's keep discussions about ideology out of this, please.
    Friend 1 said that if having a livable wage would fuck up the economy because that's just how capitalism works, we need to realize that capitalism is the problem. I commented that there is a trade-off between a higher min wage and an increase in unemployment and possibly also inflation, and I don't think there is a perfect solution.
    Friend 2 mentioned how some studies have found that increasing the minimum wage didn't increase unemployment significantly. I countered that there are certain situations in which this could happen; if the minimum wages are initially very low they might be way below what e.g. the average fast food worker contributes to the company, so even after increasing the minimum wages it's still a net gain for companies to hire them. Another possibility is that there are confounding factors which hide an existing effect. Friend 2's response to this was that the economy is a complex system and we can't be sure what the effect of a policy change was.
    I generally maintain that I'll change my mind about pretty much anything, if I encounter proof of why I'm wrong... but tbh I just can't believe that there is no tradeoff between minimum wages and unemployment, as a rule. I just can't see how increasing minimum wages indefinitely wouldn't eventually lead to an increase in unemployment. (On an ethical level, I'd prefer that everyone had a good standard of living and I'm not opposed to having social security for unemployed people. If anything, I'd prefer to believe that there is no tradeoff, but I can't make sense of how it could be possible...)
    Is my reasoning an example of 'subjective' logic of Ti-users, or something else?

Not sure what that is, since none of you have explained any of your points in any logical manner, only stating what you believe. So, they're values and/or beliefs driven statements which might be Fi or Si.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

I see it as having logical backing but not (directly) an empirical one; 'If there are compounding factors, then I see where --', and 'Sure, a study might indicate that x -> y on its face, but rather than being taken at face value, its results could be explained by x & z -> y--' and so on.

To contrast, I think Friend 2 leans in the other direction: 'the system is complex, and there aren't any studies out there to point to, and so we can't know what would happen.'
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Ely liked this post

Potential is My Addiction Dreamer's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

At least, with the way you worded your post and explained the situation, along with your thoughts on the issue, it sounds fairly strong in the Te camp to me, but the assessment is only from seeing this one post of yours too. I partially say this though because throwing pure Ti at me is probably the easiest way to make me shortcircuit, I just don’t understand it many times. And, coming from my perspective, Fi-Te, I see and understand the logic of a situation, but my thoughts tend to focus on the individuals involved and the “emotional” logic at play within clearly defined structures/systems in place. So, at least initially, you seem to be approaching it from the opposite end, Te-Fi.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer
    Likes Ely, Metis liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    At least, with the way you worded your post and explained the situation, along with your thoughts on the issue, it sounds fairly strong in the Te camp to me, but the assessment is only from seeing this one post of yours too. I partially say this though because throwing pure Ti at me is probably the easiest way to make me shortcircuit, I just don’t understand it many times. And, coming from my perspective, Fi-Te, I see and understand the logic of a situation, but my thoughts tend to focus on the individuals involved and the “emotional” logic at play within clearly defined structures/systems in place. So, at least initially, you seem to be approaching it from the opposite end, Te-Fi.
    That mess was Te? I don't think so.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    That mess was Te? I don't think so.
    What was it?? A Kandinsky?
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

What was it?? A Kandinsky?
    Likes Dreamer liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

Idk, person #1 probably used a feeling function writing that but that doesn't make them a feeling type. Person #2... appeal to authority gives me Te vibes, but not enough info to say. OP, I could see your pov being the result of either Ti or Ni+Te.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I am actually curious though, if you care to share of your thoughts on Te. As it's lower on my stack, I can only guess what it may look like, once the "Feeler" speak is removed from the equation. For that matter, how might the rationalization processes outwardly look if comparing Fi-Te to Te-Fi, if it's even possible?

@Coriolis, would you happen to have any thoughts on any differences in patterns of text or thoughts expressed between the two function orders?
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

I am actually curious though, if you care to share of your thoughts on Te. As it's lower on my stack, I can only guess what it may look like

Is that right.

How You Use Extraverted Thinking - Based On Its Location in Your Function Stack - Psychology Junkie

/Te