• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Flip-floppin' types

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some people state emphatically type cannot be changed over time, others say it can.

What say you and why?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
It doesn't. In theory it shouldn't, because it would make no sense, not to mention there's never been a case in my direct or indirect observation where it has.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
You're an INTJ right? Don't worry, maybe eventually you'll drop the J.

I think type can change, but more often than not, it won't, or it will change slowly over time. I've seen extroversion/introversion change in people.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Balancing and mistyping occur all the time, which can be mistaken for a change in personality type, but no.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Balancing and mistyping occur all the time, which can be mistaken for a change in personality type, but no.

Temporary personality changes can occur too. For instance, someone who loses a close family member might be thrown into a period of introversion.

But long term personality changes will of course happen, the question is if that can be translated to changes in type.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You're an INTJ right? Don't worry, maybe eventually you'll drop the J.

I'm some kind of INTthing, not convinced on the jay but cheers for the pep talk :D

I think type can change, but more often than not, it won't, or it will change slowly over time. I've seen extroversion/introversion change in people.

Do you see it as development of what's already there and was maybe unseen or repressed or as a total change of preferences?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Do you see it as development of what's already there and was maybe unseen or repressed or as a total change of preferences?

I think it can be a development of what's already there as well as a change in preferences.

I have it in me to be a E or J, I can do it for short periods of time, but unless an extreme event takes place that causes me to favor personality characteristics other than those of the INTP, it probably won't happen.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
your inherent type and ego do not change
perspective, habits, and shoe sizes do

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Temporary personality changes can occur too. For instance, someone who loses a close family member might be thrown into a period of introversion.
You realize, of course, this is a silly concept. People in a quiet mood are not suddenly introverts. They maintain the same brain.
But long term personality changes will of course happen, the question is if that can be translated to changes in type.
There is no question.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Question:
Does it matter?

If it happens, then there's your proof. 'Til then, I don't see why it matters much.
I changed my type...

EMTP.
I'm a magician.
Hehe...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
ajblaise: ....You tire me so.

What if balancing is just what it takes to throw it over the line ?
Let me get specific.

Can an INTP ever become an ENTP, just by becoming more people-oriented? No.

Can an INTP ever become an INTJ, just by becoming more industrious and capable of following schedules? No.

I doubt there's anyone here aside from Victor who would say there aren't fundamental differences between any two types which go beyond the letters. The differences are observable.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Can an INTP ever become an INTJ, just by becoming more industrious and capable of following schedules? No.

I doubt there's anyone here aside from Victor who would say there aren't fundamental differences between any two types which go beyond the letters. The differences are observable.

Without a traumatic event, drugs, brain damage... taking place it is less likely it will happen. But evidence points to it being possible.

Your view is the mainstream one, but supposedly scholars are starting to reject it as more studies contradict the mainstream view.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Without a traumatic event, drugs, brain damage... taking place it is less likely it will happen. But evidence points to it being possible.

Your view is the mainstream one, but supposedly scholars are starting to rejecting it as more studies contradict the mainstream view.
Admittedly I'm not a professional psychologist dealing with brain trauma victims, but I know personality can certainly change as a result of it.

It seems, though, that it's not the type changing, it's various other distortions of self.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I remember finding some student's study on MBTI and brain differences a while back online. It wasn't that conclusive due to the sample size, but interesting nonetheless. I think that there are definitely physical symptoms( brain scans) that can show type to be a pretty stable trait. Theres a whole host of variables that can influence that though. I think it would be really cool if someone would invest enough time to do a more wide scale study on that.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
ajblaise: ....You tire me so.

Let me get specific.

The whole point of type is to give people letters.

Humans like collecting them.
We write them, we save them, we give them on tests, we use them as test answers.

They're everywhere.
It's the human compulsion.
Come on, The Flak. Get with the program.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
And they fall off the back of trucks, and people grab them up. "Look! I got letters!"

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, that's it: I'm sick of it.

I'm an ISTJ now. :D

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Okay, that's it: I'm sick of it.

I'm an ISTJ now. :D

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :cry:

back to the original question :D. i'm not sure if types can change. there are certain things that i think are just too different to flip flop on such as S vs N. E vs I though, i can see its potential.