• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] In what ways do you defy your type?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't like noise, crowds or things about which I am supposed to be enthusiastic

my knowledge of cars and sports is completely nonexistant

I like books and fantasy and spending way too much time online

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
If I’m not in the mood, the excitement and high energy can be a bit much. But, I’m sure I can be that person on occasion too so eh, I put up with it. They’re in a great mood and feeding off a high, I'll let them enjoy it while it lasts :)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel like I'm a lot nicer than a lot of INTPs, or at least the ones I've met on the internet.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel like I'm a lot nicer than a lot of INTPs, or at least the ones I've met on the internet.

This is interesting, as I I'm not sure I can say I'm "nice" or "nicer than others", yet I've never actively held so much contempt for others as lots of intps seem to display, but again maybe most of this conclusion derives from interacting with them on the internet.

Defining yourself as an angsty and misanthropic, yet highly intellectual loner just seems like a trope, one which seems too over-saturated with participants for me to find appealing.

I see myself as mostly indifferent towards most people -- They are what they are, yet so far as they don't try to infringe upon my autonomy, I'll keep this in positive regard.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I see myself as mostly indifferent towards most people -- They are what they are, yet so far as they don't try to infringe upon my autonomy, I'll keep this in positive regard.

Granted.
However, let us argue a certain point. Indifference is often the source of a certain feeling or a reason. You're indifferent for you're not cold and hold aversion towards people, rather, indifferent because you want to lead a peaceful existence. You carry that indifference with niceness. You see no point holding a grudge against someone, nor do you see a point in spreading apocryphal disgust, bitterness, and judgments wherever you may roam.

From where I stand, you're one of the nicest people here, Stig.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My oneness, I guess. But whenever I ran into fellow ENFPs in my life they did not seem to care about the differences that comes with being a one at all, quite the opposite. They seemed to love it, probably because it was different, something to explore and study, or they simply loved the differences between us for what they are.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My oneness, I guess. But whenever I ran into fellow ENFPs in my life they did not seem to care about the differences that comes with being a one at all, quite the opposite. They seemed to love it, probably because it was different, something to explore and study, or they simply loved the differences between us for what they are.

I've also noticed that with my fellow ENFPs. A lot of them are really curious about differences, but it's not a negative thing at all. I have one friend who matches that to a T. They're a lot more easy to tell this quality too because they are extremely up front and open with it. It's hard to explain, but I'm a bit more reserved with my acceptance of others' differences and curiosity about them. I think it ties in to the different ways we were raised. My parents are very much the silent acceptance type. Differences don't really excite either of them all that much, but they'll just take things as they are even if they won't verbally express it. I've picked up a lot of that from them in my outward behavior. My social context was also rather conservative growing up, that might impact it some as well. From what my ENFP friend has told me, I think they were raised in a climate that was more socially liberal much more enthusiastic and verbal about accepting differences.

My ENFP friend actually surprises me sometimes. I guess I've been accustomed to being the one person who collects all sorts of people in her life and is constantly picking up on how they think and view the world that when I encounter someone else along the same vein, it's shocking.

I believe Dr. Dario Nairdi (may have spelled his name wrong) has found that the brain activity of ENFPs is the MBTI type with the highest variation in brain activity when members of the same type are compared. I wonder if that could be correlated somewhat with it. No idea how though.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I've also noticed that with my fellow ENFPs. A lot of them are really curious about differences, but it's not a negative thing at all. I have one friend who matches that to a T. They're a lot more easy to tell this quality too because they are extremely up front and open with it. It's hard to explain, but I'm a bit more reserved with my acceptance of others' differences and curiosity about them. I think it ties in to the different ways we were raised. My parents are very much the silent acceptance type. Differences don't really excite either of them all that much, but they'll just take things as they are even if they won't verbally express it. I've picked up a lot of that from them in my outward behavior. My social context was also rather conservative growing up, that might impact it some as well. From what my ENFP friend has told me, I think they were raised in a climate that was more socially liberal much more enthusiastic and verbal about accepting differences.

My ENFP friend actually surprises me sometimes. I guess I've been accustomed to being the one person who collects all sorts of people in her life and is constantly picking up on how they think and view the world that when I encounter someone else along the same vein, it's shocking.

I believe Dr. Dario Nairdi (may have spelled his name wrong) has found that the brain activity of ENFPs is the MBTI type with the highest variation in brain activity when members of the same type are compared. I wonder if that could be correlated somewhat with it. No idea how though.

I think I might know what you are talking about, but only because it's something I've never really thought about! haha, well, aside from an ENFP cousin that shares my age (born a month after me) and growing up with her with many many shared interests and outlooks, I haven't come across others that seem to take that similar sort of interest in people, just for the sake of it. Like, nothing to gain from the interaction other than to satisfy that inner "hunger" if you will. But I think I know what you mean, like, I've noticed this sort of presence of curiosity in some INFPs I've encountered in real life, though, that curiosity is more inward focused. If I were to quickly make the comparison (thinking off the cuff here so don't quote me haha) I feel that ENFPs hmm...seek to understand the differences in others, as a way to understand and perhaps(?) accept and adjust to the differences that lie within them. Whereas I find with the INFPs I've come across, that dynamic is very similar, but more like...they are understanding the world more so, as it relates specifically to them. Ugh, I'm explaining this so retardedly, but...you know?? Haha it's cool, I may have a better way to explain what I'm "seeing" a bit later as I've let the visual sit a while :p

If we’re talking INFP males specifically, obviously frequency isolates me in a literal sense. I think I may have met one irl I worked with him for a few months. That’s it though.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is interesting, as I I'm not sure I can say I'm "nice" or "nicer than others", yet I've never actively held so much contempt for others as lots of intps seem to display, but again maybe most of this conclusion derives from interacting with them on the internet.

Defining yourself as an angsty and misanthropic, yet highly intellectual loner just seems like a trope, one which seems too over-saturated with participants for me to find appealing.

I would say I have positive opinions as long as they aren't being overly loud when I want quiet.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because of how I got walked on most of my life I am very confrontational about things I believe in, which makes a lot view me as INFP/Fe dom or something rather than ENFP, since the stereotypical ENFP is viewed as someone who loves people and sees everything.

Oh I love to hear new perspectives, but I do care how you present it. There are respectful ways to do everything. And sometimes the blunt truth is far more important than making friends or accepting everything you hear. I do fathom your perspective, though I may strongly disagree.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Most of the INTPs I have had the pleasure of meeting are what I would typically categorize as "nice"... just detached. It really reminds of me a time when I was staying with some family friends and the INTP son willingly let me have his room as the guest and one time I had knocked my toothbrush into the trash can and without hesitation, he fished it out for me. Just genuinely nice. I have had more experiences like that with INTPs than the stereotypical online variety. :)

The one thing that I have noticed is that they seem especially particular about word choice... If I don't pick the perfectly nuanced word, they correct me or give me shit for it. Ha!

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
-I like science. Why isn't a scientist recommended as an ideal career?
If you want to be a scientist, you shouldn't let your mbti type deter you. My father is probably an INFP, and used to work as a scientist. He especially enjoyed computer programming (and yes, I'm sure that he's not a thinking type). My cousin is probably an INFJ, and worked as a scientist for a few years. My professors have been a bunch of different types, and all good at what they do.

anime_nature

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you want to be a scientist, you shouldn't let your mbti type deter you. My father is probably an INFP, and used to work as a scientist. He especially enjoyed computer programming (and yes, I'm sure that he's not a thinking type). My cousin is probably an INFJ, and worked as a scientist for a few years. My professors have been a bunch of different types, and all good at what they do.

I know. The thing with Fi types is that if we get passionate of something, it's most likely we're never going to drop that passion unless the crippling feeling of being unmotivated really hits them hard. Plus, I don't really take MBTI as something to follow. It's just for fun. Honestly it's like saying you're letting balls of gas dictate the actions to take during the day. Oh wait....

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree, [MENTION=36946]anime_nature[/MENTION]. The careers in those lists should be described as "common", in the sense that many people in the career have that type, rather than "ideal" suggesting that other types will not do well. A person of any type can succeed in any career, though their motivation and methods might be different. That is often a good thing, as it breaks the groupthink of a similar-minded workgroup, and brings divergent perspectives. I had an INFP in my group for a few years who was just as capable as anyone else. There are several FJs that I know of also.

Bottom line: if that is what interests you, don't be discouraged by simplistic type suggestions.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Actually I feel like I fit the common description of ENFPs quite well. I'm curious, open to new experiences, a tad fightly at times, sensitive, empathetic, list goes on. When I was younger it was even easier to see. There wasn't even one doubt in my mind I couldn't be an ENFP, when I read my test result for the first time. It all seemed to reflect me quite well. There are a few things that make me "defy" my type in a way, though. The older I became, the more disciplined and organised I became and thus less flighty and messy. Nowadays people would call me acontrol-freak, at times. I also seem to be better at details than most other ENFPs, which is most likely due to the fact that it's a weakness I worked on quite hard but overall my Si still needs a lot of improvement.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP's are supposed to have a fear of failure. Now, I am definately concerned not getting something right and will do my best to really look at things from all angles.

But I have never experienced this as a fear and have never withheld myself with doing what I think I should do. And just going with what I know fearlessly, even if I might not believe I had all the information that I would like to have.

I think I might be 9w8 though. I thought I was for a long time, as I do relate to more aspects of the enneagram 8 than I do 1, but it's kinda blurry so I never really could make up my mind which side I am on. But considering things like this, it seems I am more 9w8 than I am 9w1.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
INTP's are supposed to have a fear of failure. Now, I am definately concerned not getting something right and will do my best to really look at things from all angles.

But I have never experienced this as a fear and have never withheld myself with doing what I think I should do. And just going with what I know fearlessly, even if I might not believe I had all the information that I would like to have.

I think I might be 9w8 though. I thought I was for a long time, as I do relate to more aspects of the enneagram 8 than I do 1, but it's kinda blurry so I never really could make up my mind which side I am on. But considering things like this, it seems I am more 9w8 than I am 9w1.

INtp fear failure yeah ... stupid failures maybe not but important ... using our economic and social concepts yeah... of course, maybe all types.