• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would this match your experience of the 8th place function?

á´…eparted

passages
You mean for yourself? If ENFJ, the Demonic personality would be Te (reflecting the dom. Fe.) Demonic Ti is for Ti doms. only.

For myself yes. I am very moralistic and I have to actively resist the urge to go after those who I feel are violating core principles of some sort, and I will look for ways to justify it. I also often fight internal wars that I am a bad person and aspects of it aren't fixable, or I don't want to fix them and thus feel immense guilt over it. It really is addressing me being a 1w2 more than anything.

I could have sworn Fi was my 8th function, I guess I mixed it up then since I haven't thought about it for a long time. As for the Te one, that fits ok, but doesn't really strike too much of a cord with on a deeper level.

Metis

They're usually ENFPs, I think. They get upset because I'm not giving them whatever it is that they want on an emotional level, and then they disingenuously attribute it to my failure to accomplish tasks. They don't always switch it like that; sometimes, they just keep it more "touchy-feely" as the grownups back in the 80's used to say. When they do switch it, it could be because of their Te "child". I don't know. They willfully get facts related to the past wrong, like you described for "demon" Si. Si would be their inferior, though, like mine.

Ni is your tertiary (the "Child"), so as I explained above, it will be less mature than the preferred functions. It's not really "narcissistic" in itself, but the eternal Child or "Puer" archetype is known to "inflate" itself, to try to appear more mature than it actually is.
Si is Senex, and will have more of an authoritativeness, and often erupts when the ego is too rigid, which may seem "narcissistic".

You were talking to LingkinPark, but this point, above, is interesting to me as well.

The ENFP professors & clients, based on this, might be inflating their own "child" Te, trying to look more "efficient" than they really are (or imagine themselves to be; I don't see them being particularly inefficient), trying to put me down in retaliation by accusing me of being ineffective and inefficient ("witch/senex" Fe lashing out because I triggered their "child" Te archetype?), rather than figuring out ("trickster" Ti) what the real problem that they feel might be, and how to communicate it (eg., do they get the feeling that I dislike them? or, do they suspect that I don't respect them, and if so, why? etc.).

As far as "Senex, and will have more of an authoritativeness, and often erupts when the ego is too rigid" goes, I definitely overexert "witch" Te in an effort to compensate for my belief that I can't get anything done. I wonder if the ENFPs in question are doing something similar with "witch/senex" Fe.

It's hard to keep those orderings straight! I mixed them all up on this post, then deleted and revised it. I hope I got them right.

---edit---

The ENFPs' "child" and "witch/senex" conflict with my "witch" and "child", in other words. And vice versa.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They're usually ENFPs, I think. They get upset because I'm not giving them whatever it is that they want on an emotional level, and then they disingenuously attribute it to my failure to accomplish tasks. They don't always switch it like that; sometimes, they just keep it more "touchy-feely" as the grownups back in the 80's used to say. When they do switch it, it could be because of their Te "child". I don't know. They willfully get facts related to the past wrong, like you described for "demon" Si. Si would be their inferior, though, like mine.
You were talking to LingkinPark, but this point, above, is interesting to me as well.

The ENFP professors & clients, based on this, might be inflating their own "child" Te, trying to look more "efficient" than they really are (or imagine themselves to be; I don't see them being particularly inefficient), trying to put me down in retaliation by accusing me of being ineffective and inefficient ("witch/senex" Fe lashing out because I triggered their "child" Te archetype?), rather than figuring out ("trickster" Ti) what the real problem that they feel might be, and how to communicate it (eg., do they get the feeling that I dislike them? or, do they suspect that I don't respect them, and if so, why? etc.).

As far as "Senex, and will have more of an authoritativeness, and often erupts when the ego is too rigid" goes, I definitely overexert "witch" Te in an effort to compensate for my belief that I can't get anything done. I wonder if the ENFPs in question are doing something similar with "witch/senex" Fe.

It's hard to keep those orderings straight! I mixed them all up on this post, then deleted and revised it. I hope I got them right.

The ENFPs' "child" and "witch/senex" conflict with my "witch" and "child", in other words. And vice versa.
Yes, that sounds like it would be tertiary Te, and witch Fe also likely fit for them.
For myself yes. I am very moralistic and I have to actively resist the urge to go after those who I feel are violating core principles of some sort, and I will look for ways to justify it. I also often fight internal wars that I am a bad person and aspects of it aren't fixable, or I don't want to fix them and thus feel immense guilt over it. It really is addressing me being a 1w2 more than anything.

I could have sworn Fi was my 8th function, I guess I mixed it up then since I haven't thought about it for a long time. As for the Te one, that fits ok, but doesn't really strike too much of a cord with on a deeper level.
ENFJ is Fe-Ni-Se-Ti-Fi-Ne-Si-Te. As for Te, if you're not at a place where the Demonic function is constellated a lot, it might not strike that much of a chord, then.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yup Si is it for me. I kind of go make my own role of things.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It appears I won't need to undergo an exorcism--I relate to none of those whatsoever.

rav3n

I'll have to get his book again (I rented it on Kindle, and plan to get a hard copy whenever I have the money for it), but what I have on my review Book Review: Beebe “Energies and Patterns in Psychological Type” | "ERIPEDIA" I have that he wrote that narcissistic men “will readily set up people to imagine that they can easily save him from his pathological narcissism by carrying for him the integrity his demonic personality craves." (He then goes into his archetypal interpretation of the movie As Good As It Gets, which had described to me, with the the Melvin character as the demonic personality, and Carol as the anima. I know nothing about this movie, as I’m not into most live action fiction).

We must remember, the Demonic Personality is the "shadow" of the anima or inferior, which is tied up with our psyche's need for "integrity" in Beebe's framework. So narcissism is connected with the seeking of this integrity.

As I write in my interpretation in that article, if the ego could possess the “wholeness” the demon seeks, it would have a lot to be narcissistic about! So the demon’s “narcissism” compensates for the vulnerability of the inferiority complex. We feel inferior in a particular perspective in one attitude, but surmise that we’ve really mastered the perspective in the other attitude. It’s really the furthest from consciousness of all, and when this is exposed, we again feel our very ego is being disintegrated, and then go on the attack.
Basically, the “demonic personality” looks for “integrity” in all the wrong places, or goes about it the wrong way!

He in the following chapter mentions how the position is “undermining, unless it is held to a standard of integrity, in which case it can become daimonic, an opportunity for spirit to enter the psyche from a shadowy place that had once only been an occasion for fear. He uses as an example prayer; “the integrity that accompanies the humility of praying to a power Other enough to be potentially destructive, and which may in its own way have already visited destruction of some aspect of the life of the person now praying”, which then “often moves the very same deity enough to offer illumination, compassion and a transformative intervention”.
This I definitely struggle with, especially as I deal with the role of God in all this, with Christians often citing scriptures like Job 13:15 “Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him”.
Maybe I'm missing something but this sounds like a rebundling of coping strategies vs. defense mechanisms where it's interpreted as narcissism when there's a more extreme divide.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't studied coping strategies vs. defense mechanisms (and looking it up, I see the terms are often used interchangeably, but t seems "coping strategies" are more mature, while "defense mechanisms" are more reactive and more likely to be unhealthy?) So can you explain what you mean?
(I would say defense mechanism will be involved in any shadow reaction).

rav3n

Coping mechanisms are conscious actions and defense mechanisms are unconscious ego defense mechanisms. They're what people use to handle stress and anxiety within their environments.