• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How many of you have actually ready 'Psychological Types'?

Have you read the ENTIRETY of Jung's 'Psychological Types'?

• Total voters

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So just curious, for my own info, how common it is on a typology site like this have actually read the entirety of 'Psychological Types' by Carl Jung. If you have only read the chapter on Cognitive Functions DO NOT say you have read 'Psychological Types'

There are three options:
I have read 'Psychological Types'
I have not read 'Psychological Types'
I plan to read 'Psychological Types'

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You need an in between answer if only reading the cognitive function part doesn't count as reading it.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You need an in between answer if only reading the cognitive function part doesn't count as reading it.

Disagree. Reading the chapter on Cognitive Functions without the context of the rest of the book means you are not really going to understand what he is saying. I don't say this because I have read the whole book yet. I am currently on chapter 3 and already I can see that this is the kind of book where just taking pieces from it isn't adequate and does Jung a disservice. I see little point in only reading that chapter without reading the rest of the book. The choices I came up with are intentional.

Turi

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I have - also the Definitions chapter is basically necessary, you'll find a lot of people quote Jung without knowing the definitions of what they're quoting.

Quick

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is what annoys me. People just interpreting things willy nilly and basically ad-libbing personality theory as they go.

Multiple interpretations = not usable in the real world for objectively tracking type.

I for one don't think it's really as up for interpretation as people seem to believe.
It's pretty clear what he meant, if you understand the context (point of this thread really) at a bare minimum, the following Definitions chapter really clears things up.
Literally defining terms that people think they can improvise with.

Before I forget this is a great resource as well - not rreeeeeaaaallllyyyy up for subjective interpretation to any major extent.

I was going to say things weren't as open to interpretation as they seem, but I haven't read that far yet. I can say based on what I have read, Jung definitely builds off previous topics so unless you have context for the former, you are not going to understand the latter.

Lark

Its one of the few of Jungs books I've not actually read.

I've read most of his other books and two great introductions to his thinking by Anthony Storr and Anthony Stevens.

everdream

MBTI Type
INFJ
I read some chapters. I hope that counts as "have read". :)

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've read the thing at least twice, but I'm not sure what's actually open for discussion.

Only excerpts. Then again I’ve never claimed to be anything but a novice of this whole experience.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Chapter 10 does not exactly describe 1-9. It’s a definition guide.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is it the "most important chapter?"

I forced myself through it on a trip to Cancun. I think the guy was nit the best writer. Rambled and wasn't concise.

There's was a lot if rambling history and stuff leading up to chapter 10. I would encourage those who are not patient like me to go right to 10.