• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Schema Theory/Visual Representations of MBTI Functions

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I found this today on the INTPc forum and thought it was really cool. So, I'm going to post it here to see what you guys think about it.

Schema Theory and Myers Briggs Functions

There's a link at the very top and bottom of the page to the visual simulators. It goes through the functions in this order: N, T, F, S, "balanced", ST, NF, NT, SF.

How well do you think these simulations correlate with your thinking processes?

For me, I found both the NF and NT simulations accurate, but the "balanced" one was probably closer.

(I did a search and I don't think anything like this has been posted yet.)

redacted

I don't like this:

The operation of each of the psychological functions (S, N, T and F) is assumed as follows:

* Sensing 'seizes and shapes' entities. This gives entities greater clarity and realism, represented by a node becoming blacker - the more it is shaped, the 'clearer' it becomes, so the blacker it becomes.
* Intuition creates new entities that are not directly connected to the existing schema. However, neither are these entities divorced from it - they are created in 'proximity' to the schema - ie their relation or connection to it is implied (it is an "unconscious" connection).
* Thinking creates conscious connections between entities. This is represented by lines between the nodes. The more effort Thinking puts into building a connection, the blacker it becomes.
* Feeling moves entitites away from the self or draws them closer, depending on their value. This is represented by entities become smaller or larger, to represent moving away or closer.

My take:
Sensing -- details the nodes
Intuition -- forms connections between nodes and/or forms connections between schemas (metaphor)
Feeling -- shines light on certain relevant nodes and/or schemas
Thinking -- checks for consistencies between nodes in a schema or consistencies between schemas (feeling has to shine the light first, though, or else thinking couldn't see anything)

Funny -- this is the framework in which I've always thought about MBTI.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intuition -- forms connections between nodes and/or forms connections between schemas (metaphor)

Worthwhile read... I am just wondering if intuition can actually form connections.

It suggests the connections are there or worth checking out, but cannot ever prove or make manifest the connection. It's just a way of seeing but is always leaping out over the void without a net.

redacted

Worthwhile read... I am just wondering if intuition can actually form connections.

It suggests the connections are there or worth checking out, but cannot ever prove or make manifest the connection. It's just a way of seeing but is always leaping out over the void without a net.

What else would form connections? It's not that the connections are necessarily useful (that's for judging to decide).

Thinking can't do it, it can only deductively say true/false.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What else would form connections? It's not that the connections are necessarily useful (that's for judging to decide).

Thinking can't do it, it can only deductively say true/false.

Hmmm... Maybe we were looking at the word "connection" with a slightly different connotation, but I do see your point. I guess I was considering a "connection" in terms of "valid connection," any connection before Thinking has validated it is merely wishful thinking and essentially a guess of sorts... easily a "fake" connection and thus not actually a connection at all despite your calling it a connection.

I haven't had much time to think about the images I saw on the link, I didn't necessarily agree with them but hadn't yet determined what I didn't like about them.

redacted

Hmmm... Maybe we were looking at the word "connection" with a slightly different connotation, but I do see your point. I guess I was considering a "connection" in terms of "valid connection," any connection before Thinking has validated it is merely wishful thinking and essentially a guess of sorts... easily a "fake" connection and thus not actually a connection at all despite your calling it a connection.

Heh, something a T dom would definitely say.

I think of N as not-so-randomly connecting things to each other -- for N doms, the connection making goes so fast that Thinking is being dragged along for the ride. Thinking can grab the reigns for a second or two (as long as feeling shines the light on the connection) and check shit out, but N just keeps chugging along. (S stuff = the things that N connects)

For T doms, they'll check a schema for consistency with little Ns jumping in between, broadening the scope.

T doms are very focused, their spaces (the structure of nodes and connections) are much more orderly. N doms have a bigger space with less order. F doms shine light in exactly the part of the space that's relevant (like less ambient light). And S doms have incredibly detailed nodes and fewer connections. And then all of those things interact with each other in certain ways, blah blah.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My initial response to this is "wow these little dots are boring, couldn't they have made this more interesting? why is it so slow?"

But I do think the pulsating larger/smaller dots make sense for Feeling, and that the darker spots make sense for Sensing...and it looked very 'stable' and 'concrete' to see ST connect dark dots, while NF seemed the most ethereal with the many lighter dots pulsating, some of which were not connected at all.

I thought it was interesting that Thinking was a straight line carefully formed, I guess that does make sense for logic.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Interesting. I am an NF, but watching all the NF dots flying up randomly everywhere made me kind of nervous.

rainybisto

MBTI Type
FiNe
Enneagram
4w5
So, I know this is an old and dead thread, but this is something that's new to me. Unfortunately, it seems like the creator has taken the simulator down for unknown reason. I really want to see the simulator :(

Maybe anyone has the picture? *wishful thinking*.