User Tag List

123 Last

Default Differences between N and S

Can someone give me a breakdown on how N and S are different? I would love to see characteristics that would allow me to box someone into an N or S? Do they think differently? Different personalities? Have different hobbies? I'm struggling to understand this one because I never thought of people using an Intuitive or senses bucket before.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

N users have a senses of dissapering from reality while S users are connected to reality. So be absent-minded allow to N user create own world in his/her mind despise what reality it is! How they are disconnected from reality from time to time as consquence they don't look well on themselves or their needs. Some of them can be slow on action then S users , they don't cere of their health very often or how they look or how someone looks. They search for deep meaning of things , strive for improvement , also often not very practical etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Norexan View Post
    N users have a senses of dissapering from reality while S users are connected to reality. So be absent-minded allow to N user create own world in his/her mind despise what reality it is! How they are disconnected from reality from time to time as consquence they don't look well on themselves or their needs. Some of them can be slow on action then S users , they don't cere of their health very often or how they look or how someone looks. They search for deep meaning of things , strive for improvement , also often not very practical etc.
    Thanks for the response. Your post was helpful to me.
    Likes Norexan liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I'm an "S" type, and don't relate to how @Norexan has portrayed "S".

Connection with "reality" is best attributed to "Extraversion", if anything - objective world (E) vs subjective world (I).

Norexan says:
    So be absent-minded allow to N user create own world in his/her mind despise what reality it is! How they are disconnected from reality from time to time as consquence they don't look well on themselves or their needs.
    I relate to this a lot - because, creating my own world within my mind, is best attributed to introversion - and I am predominantly an introverted type.
    It appears a lot that is simply introversion, is attributed to intuition for some reason.
    With regards to looking after themselves and their needs - this isn't really function-related, the closest you can get is to attribute some of this to an inferior Sensation, but there's literally no reason somebody that prefers Sensation such as much won't also not look after themselves and their own needs - a large part of this is likely attributed to the decider functions (if we're forcing everything into typology) as well.

Some of them can be slow on action then S users , they don't cere of their health very often or how they look or how someone looks. They search for deep meaning of things , strive for improvement , also often not very practical etc.
    Being "slow on action", is again, best attributed to the differences between introversion and extraversion - and from a Big 5 perspective (or at least, Jordan Petersons "Big 10"), it's Assertiveness - which is, of course, a facet of Extraversion.
    Those with higher Assertiveness are portrayed as quick-on-the-trigger types, so higher Assertiveness = higher overall Extraversion.

I don't care for my own health as much as I should, and I quite literally don't care how anybody looks, yet I am an "S".
    I search for deeper meaning in everything, constantly strive for improvement and am also not very practical - yet again, still an "S".

The difference between "S" and "N" is simply, which one do you run to when in trouble?
    Which do you ultimately trust and have faith in, at gun-point?

For me, that's Sensation. My intuition is very strong, I mistook myself for an intuitive for a long time - however, at the end of the day - regardless of how powerful or strong my intuition is (arguably, moreso than my Sensation) - I prefer Sensation, and will always side with what the real-life facts suggest, as they are what is most important to me.

It is this slavery to "facts" and being factually correct that gets me in trouble on internet forums and the like, as I can get very pedantic and dogmatic with regards to what I deem as "the truth" - which will of course, be some idealistic concept that is supported by whatever facts I have managed to accumulate - it's these factual foundations that I have actual faith in.
    I understand this about myself now and have to lay off "the facts", to some degree, and be open to people simply preferring their own intuition over real-world facts and truths - this is a flaw in my character, and it's best correlated to Sensation.
    You can visualize the above as me simply being like "this is what is" - and not allowing room for other peoples possibilities/imagination where it's not supported by what is (facts).

The difference between the two, is not found in skill-level and it is not found in "bean-counting" whereby you are simply tracking the amount of times somebody does N things, or S things.

Instead - the difference is to be found in which is ultimately, the saviour. The true preference. The "god".
    For me, that's Sensation. Intuition is almost a hobby for me, one I don't put much faith in, but enjoy and have developed quite a lot - but it's ultimately a demon, something I do not rely on, something I will not pull the trigger on until I've got all of the facts lined up, and am able to "prove" my intuition is actually correct.

There are no "characteristics" that will allow you to box someone into "S" or "N" - you need to observe yourself, or others, for a very long time, and track patterns that you can *prove* are consistent - you need to constantly observe the same things, a constant preference for one over the other.
    Skill-level, traits, stereotypes etc will get you nowhere.

You need to ultimately observe whether someone views facts (their own, or objective) as the ultimate "god" - or if they prefer their own imagination/intuition as the "god" - over a long period of time.
    Not one clip, not one post on a forum, not one thing they said, not one aspect of yourself, not one event that happened to you, not a talent, not a "thing you can do", not something you "want to be" - but constant, consistent preferences for what is proven and is, over what is essentially imagination (intuition is a perception of the unconscious - ergo, non-tangible information).

I'd like to stress, I am in an "N" world most of the time, but this does not mean "N" is my preference when push comes to shove - and that's what counts.
    True "N" types, people that actually, genuinely, rely on their own N over S - from a Jungian perspective - kind of rub me the wrong way, as they pull the trigger on things that are not proven, or aren't supported by enough facts to actually "take a shot" on - when I do that, I feel fraudulent - which tells me all I need to know.

My avatar at the moment is a brilliant example of somebody that is mistaken as an "N" type due to being stereotypically intuitive - and a lot of "introverted" aspects L possesses, are wrongly attributed to his supposed "N" - however, it's actually his slavery to Sensation that is ultimately why he died - he wouldn't pull the trigger on his suspicions, despite them being logical, as he didn't have enough "S" in the form of "what is" ie "facts" to support such a decision - clear proof L was actually Sensor, imo.

I'd like to note for transparency that I test as a 'Te' type, very strongly, on TypoCs test.
    Likes RadicalDoubt, Suaimhneas liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by NotYourType View Post
    Can someone give me a breakdown on how N and S are different? I would love to see characteristics that would allow me to box someone into an N or S? Do they think differently? Different personalities? Have different hobbies? I'm struggling to understand this one because I never thought of people using an Intuitive or senses bucket before.
    I would go to this link and read some of the material.

Typology Central Wiki Main Page - Typology Wiki

It's a more nuanced version of S vs N. There are two types of each.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

@Turi

When I said "disconnected from reality" I mean N prefer to live life in clouds, much more drive in their fantasy world so sometimes can dismissed reality (depends on person) which is sensor thing btw.

Si is very realistic function. Si doesn't jump over things but only menage clear and secure data and makes plan step by step.

If you want to generate all types well then...
    S - is realistic , grounded
    N - is imaginative, fantasy

So be down-to-earth which is actually Si thing makes it SUBJECTIVE REALISTIC function.

Also S types often live life based on instincts or guts what make them misunderstood themselves as "having intuition". SP is very clear example and some SJ also in business..
    Life Path 4. True Neutral 8 1 6 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson
    ===Logical Crusader===

Dail [or Daer] ú-[o] chyn [or fyn/thyn] [?] Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad.

Enneagram
    9w1

I've recently considered being a sensor- an ISTP or ISFP (as opposed to INTP and INFP since I'm heavily Introverted and Perceiving (Ji fxn dominant)

i feel more impatient, disagreeable, and less interested in theory than Ne types and while I am open minded that doesn't mean I care. I don't feel like I can talk about things to the extent that intuitives do, I just get bored of all the useless ideas being thrown around.. I just want things to happen without fuss.

I still have issues relating to Se in general though... I'm much more inclined to analyze than experience directly. To some I can be avoidant and vague too instead of directly describing what I'm experiencing and thinking, but maybe it is just my Ti that strips all the unnecessary details away to get to the bottom line.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

@Turi

When I said "disconnected from reality" I mean N prefer to live life in clouds, much more drive in their fantasy world so sometimes can dismissed reality (depends on person) which is sensor thing btw.
    I disagree with the above, on account of living life in the clouds and finding more "drive" in ones fantasy world to be best attributed to introversion and not intuition from a Jungian perspective - keep in mind, I'm not discussing this from an MBTI perspective.
    Being dismissive of reality is again suggestive of introversion over extraversion.

Si is very realistic function. Si doesn't jump over things but only menage clear and secure data and makes plan step by step.
    This is incorrect and is a stereotypical, "internet-MBTI" understanding of 'Si'.
    I'd like to note here, that 'Si' itself is not a function, it's simply Sensation in the introverted attitude - Sensation of course, remaining exactly the same function.

You state 'Si' doesn't jump over things, but only 'menage' (manages?) clear and secure data and makes plans step-by-step.
    I take issue with various aspects of this statement.

Considering 'Si' is essentially a subjective disposition towards real-world facts that pique the interest of the person - it doesn't actually make sense that Si types would *not* "jump over" things - in fact, it makes more logical sense that they *would*, all the time, on account of being oriented primarily towards observable realities that actually interest them - everything that doesn't, may as well not exist - in understanding this, you will realize that Si types can and do "jump over" everything they are not interested in (therefore, the 'detail-oriented' stereotypes fail to understand Si, due to it's introverted nature).

I agree somewhat with it managing clear and secure data - Sensation is concerned with real-world facts (what is) and introversion is an orientation towards ones self - this combination combines to create a person that is concerned with factual-accuracy but only in so far as the topic is interesting.
    Therefore it's up in the air what exactly "clear and secure data" will actually entail - it might be the way they raise their Pokemon, while the rest of their entire world is an absolute filthy mess for all we know - the subjective component on account of introversion has to be understood, to actually comprehend Si.

Making plans step-by-step is contentious and stereotypical - it doesn't make sense from a pure Jungian perspective insofar as actually making real-world lists/plans step-by-step requires the assistance of Thinking/Feeling in order to prioritize information according to whatever criteria the subject prefers - it also doesn't work "at mass" on account of each individual being different, it is simply on the individual person as to whether they "make plans step by step" or not.

I ask you the following questions?
    Can Se types not make plans step by step?
    Ni? Ne? Ti? Te? Fi? Fe?

This kind of stereotypical internet-MBTI approach to typology falls apart when you actually try to type yourself or others.

If you want to generate all types well then...
    S - is realistic , grounded
    N - is imaginative, fantasy
    I disagree with these to some degree as well - S is mere perception of 'facts' - that's it - attribution of traits to Sensation in the form of "realistic" or "grounded" fall apart, they could be attributed to so many different things, beyond the realm of 'functions' - education, upbringing, work, friends, family etc etc - it's just stereotypes that aren't useful for typing.

The closest you could get, is again Extraversion - this is only due to "realistic" being understood as an orientation towards the "real" world, and is likely a stretch, even here.
    It might work from and internet-MBTI perspective, but it won't work when it comes to actually tracking peoples saviors and demons.

I agree with N being associated with "imagination" and "fantasy" - but I'd like to note, this has to manifest as a consistent preference for imagined and fantastical information perceived via ones unconscious over perceiving tangible, real-world information - and not as a "skill" in the form of "I have a vivid imagination" or "I daydream a lot" it has to be understood as a choice, where at gun-point, the person is rolling with intuitive non-tangible information over tangible and observable information.

So be down-to-earth which is actually Si thing makes it SUBJECTIVE REALISTIC function.
    I can agree with the sentiment, however it fails to understand realism ie objective reality, is Extraversion.
    Si is not extraverted - the subjective component is, of course, accurate.
    Down-to-earth is another stereotype that might work in internet-MBTI land but I'd like to note, it doesn't work for me and using those kinds of stereotypes won't work out when you try to type people "at mass" unless you're literally pegging "Si" as some list of earthly stereotypes, which would completely fail to respect and understand what Sensation in the introverted attitude actually is.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

@Turi

Si and Ni are ORGANIZING function.
    But difference between them is Si organized things in realistic way and Ni in imaginative.

ALL SJ users are described as down-to-earth? Because of what? Because of Si. Of course you can claim that you are not down-to-earth, generate some weak Ne thing but I see Si users how they are actually grounded and have resistance for change.

S is mere perception of 'facts
    No it is not. Si and Se have NOTHING to do with facts. Dealing with facts or impersonal data is Thinking. And I have to please people to stop with S=facts BS.

Te <- get facts and make conclusion -> researcher scientist
    Ti <- get idea and search for the facts -> rational scientist.

Now NEXT question is how you organized your data in imaginative Ni or in realistic way Si?
    Or how you explore new idea with imagination Ne or realism Se?
    That is another part of the story.

The only safe way to discover your type is working with your shadow. You have to first understand and admit your Darkness so you can understand and master your Light.
    Life Path 4. True Neutral 8 1 6 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson
    ===Logical Crusader===

Dail [or Daer] ú-[o] chyn [or fyn/thyn] [?] Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad.

@Turi

Newsflash: an ENTJ can't run a company or argue a case in a court of law living in a fantasy world. Use your head.
    Who, if not you. When, if not now.