• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] What function(s) at use here?

Captain Chris

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
First off, this is my first post, so Hi everyone!

Okay, so I was sitting at my desk preparing to do homework. I was pretty intent on doing my work, so I opened up my laptop to do it. Opening the lid suddenly made me remember doing the same thing at a meeting I had at an internship over this last summer. For whatever reason, I was visualizing my laptop being opened from the other side, so I was seeing (in my mind) the sticker that I have on the lid as it was opened toward me. That made me remember that a friend had commented on the sticker a couple months ago, and immediately I had the urge to Google "laptop stickers" and see if there were any cheap cool ones that would interest me. I rejected that idea, as I am both low on money and need to get this work done. That was immediately followed by the thought, "I wonder what cognitive functions I just used?", which prompted me to post on here. I succumbed to that temptation even though I still need to get my homework done :D That entire thought process took maybe 10 seconds. Does anyone have any ideas what functions that might have used? That's a pretty normal thought pattern for me.

Thank you so much for the help!

Cheers,

Captain Chris

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
3 of the examples you presented here seem like internal concrete perception (Si.)

- "Opening the lid suddenly made me remember doing the same thing at a meeting I had at an internship over this last summer."
- "I was visualizing my laptop being opened from the other side, so I was seeing (in my mind) the sticker that I have on the lid as it was opened toward me."
(Si can recall things strangely, still as the concrete aspect of perception.)
- "That made me remember that a friend had commented on the sticker a couple months ago."

You may want a deeper analysis of yourself though, and check out the links in my signature. I certainly wouldn't classify any of that as Ni. For myself, I find that Ni doesn't internally perceive of concrete or easy-to-word concepts. For an INTJ, Se is paired with an idealistic Fi response for what one likes/dislikes in the moment and what should be instead, but it doesn't trigger any concrete associations (Si.) It urges to want concrete stimuli to be effected, by utilizing abstract ideological concepts (NiFi) to provoke a rough direction for where it seeks sensate change. Ni wouldn't focus much on things like "I was visualizing my laptop being opened from the other side and that made me remember a friend because they commented on a sticker," as Si is what tends to generate a line of concrete visualizations. In other words, these types of associated memories may not often interest an Ni type because they are too quantitative to grasp in any deep way. I am personally terrible at coming up with detailed stories or recollections, and this ties into perceptive focus as well as linguistic expression. For INTJ, I find that having "concrete visions" requires something really externally affectual to morph these kinds of rough visions to, as SeFi is a reactive personal process. Even now I'm failing to provide you any S on this topic, but I hope that once you explore the functions more deeply (do check out my links), then you will know your type.

Captain Chris

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
3 of the examples you presented here seem like internal concrete perception (Si.)

Thanks! That's interesting - I've thought for a long time that I was ENTP but their use of Si is pretty low. I seem to identify with almost all of their characteristics though - maybe I lack understanding of Ne.

- - - Updated - - -