• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Introverted ESFP?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi, on another forum I completed and posted a typing questionnaire. One of the members that responded typed me as an introverted ESFP. What do you make of this? Here is the completed questionnaire if you are interested. Thanks to anyone who responds.

Typology Questionnaire
7/22/17

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Yes, they are:
Part time father of two young girls
Full-time employee (caregiver) and part time student
Diagnosed with mild depression, anxiety, and ADD. I do take medication for this.
Male, 35 years old, and enjoying answering the questionnaire

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

I prefer the first image, the image of the beach at night, with what I assume are the Northern Lights. When describing the image, the first words that come to mind are peace, space, rhythm, harmony. Everything is just not blending together, but flowing together so naturally. There is this organized chaos where everything fits. Black and blue are dominant, but the green lights are such a perfect compliment, the perfect piece of contrast. It looks like a place you could get lost in, like a dream. But I also can’t help but think, underneath the waves, there is conflict, death, nature gives us peace, but it is not peaceful. Beneath the tranquility is a great generosity along with a just as strong (at least), indifference and cruelty.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I would describe myself as:

Very laid back
Flexible, go with the flow
Disorganized
Strong sense of humor-making jokes a lot of the time
Basic
Simple
Nature Lover-Aesthetics
Art lover-Aesthetics
Very focused on spiritual/personal development
Loner/introvert
Caring/helpful
Strong believer in helping others
Some talent in writing/visual arts/verbal communication
Lazy hedonist
Bad planner
Enjoy peaceful activities (hiking for example)
Patient
Routine yet like variety
Stabilizing presence
I would say most of these are my core characteristics just because that is how I am. I am naturally laid back and peaceful, I enjoy relaxing activities, I take things at my own leisurely pace, I love the aesthetics of nature and art, specifically when there is strong harmony in the images and I have always been caring/helpful and always felt that people have a responsibility to help each other. I am also a loner and I enjoy it. Later in life, I became very focused on my development after my first daughter was born and it quickly turned into what is the purpose of my life and how can I best help. I am very interested in dealing with my personal problems, but less interested in getting to know the positive side of myself for some reason.

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I wish I was more ambitious, I wish I was more motivated to take those first steps to get myself started in what I want to do. To be a little more organized would be helpful I suppose. I wish I had a clearer understanding of my strengths and just take action, I eventually have, but I think due to the anxiety there was a lot of spinning my wheels. I like who I am, I just wish I wasn’t so lazy, haha. I am still pretty busy, but I would like to be busier and get to certain things sooner, like consistently writing.
I wouldn’t want to be someone who is overly structured, who is so wrapped up with how things are supposed to be that they just seem like a crazy person like they have to control their environment or something. Sometimes they can’t even relax. I also wouldn’t want to be someone who follows the typical path in life because they seem at times to just plateau and kind of become these zombies. I also wouldn’t want to be an asshole, but I wish I had been more focused on my own development instead of trying to help certain people.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

The spiritual side of myself, how much work and how much emphasis I have put into it is something I keep hidden from most people, so people are unaware of that. I think people have at some level considered me hardworking, responsible, but I have become more like that in a big part because I had kids I think. I think others would describe me the same way. Some of the folks I have exposed that spiritual side to have called me deep, but I think I trick people into thinking I am smarter than I am because I have a good memory with stuff like that and I regurgitate what smarter people have said, but I wonder if I have internalized it to a point like I feel they are my observations/opinions or that is how I pass them off as unintentionally, I am wrapped up in the moment. Also, others aren’t really aware of my love for aesthetics, how strong it is and how much I love the aesthetics of nature. I do keep part of myself hidden.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

1. Beauty(11 votes)2. Spirituality(10 votes)3. Humility(9 votes)4. Honesty(7 votes)5. Charity(6 votes)6. Cooperation(6 votes)7. Tranquility(5 votes)8. Freedom(5 votes)9. Adaptability(4 votes)10. Experience(2 votes)11. Variety(1 votes)12. Gratitude(0 votes)

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

I had a job working on an alpaca farm. The herd of females had gotten out and I have never dealt with that. I thought, oh shit, what am I going to do? I could wrangle them, they naturally didn’t want human contact. Luckily they were all standing around eating grass. I then remembered they were always trying to get into a particular pasture, so I opened the gate and tried to call them in. I even tried to mimic the voice of one the owners (husband and wife), the wife because she spent more time with the animals. Luckily two went in, then two more, then a few, till one last llama was left. Once she realized she was all alone, she ran like hell to get into the pasture with the rest of the females. I thought thank God for the herd instinct. Once two went in, the rest went right in. I felt panicked and relieved that it all worked out so easily. There was no planning, I just reacted and even now, I feel lucky I thought of opening that gate, haha.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I don’t react very smoothly when it comes to school I can get pretty stressed. I feel very antsy like I have to get this done. I become irritable and a bit anxious. This is a new development, I used to be pretty laid back about deadlines and did a lot of stuff, almost all stuff at the last minute.
I also when stressed have a tendency to become detached, not tell anyone about my issue and just stew about it and fixate on the problem. I often will start berating myself about how I should have made better decisions in the past and I could have avoided this. I do this because I hate conflict, actually, it used to be something that intimidated me. I really wanted things to be nice and peaceful, even if I had to take it up the you know what.
I think when something stresses me out I start looking into the future and my brain is pretty good at imagining scenarios where things work out terribly. Especially when it comes to my kids, I feel like I am the only one worried about how they could turn out as adults.
Even when career planning my mind would create a list of reasons why something wouldn’t work, like a particular career option. It isn’t like I am just naturally focusing on the moment, I can see the steps along the way and then I just see this huge challenge in front of me instead of just what I have to do today.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

In an enjoyable situation, I am laid back, if I am with another person I am usually telling jokes and stories. With someone I am comfortable with I can seem very outgoing. I like to share my opinions, usually mixed in with humor, put a show on for people. When I am by myself, I am usually someplace quiet, preferably outdoors where I can take in the beauty of nature and if I want, slow down and really take in the details of what I am seeing. Remind myself to smell the air, feel the wind and to really listen. I may do some introspective work, but I can be easily distracted. For example, taking a country walk and stopping to examine the details of flower pedals, spending time with those details, really enjoying them. When joking around I do like to come up with weird comparisons I guess. Like in a recent conversation with someone, I was talking about how people who are young get covered in tattoos, then they get older and end up looking like a Jackson Pollock painting. I then thought of this elderly man I help care for. How the skin around his chest and lower stomach really sagged in a couple places, but as he has slowly been gaining weight they look like they are filling with fat and they look like scrotums. So, I started making jokes about tattooed torso scrotums. This stomach scrotum has a tattoo of a butterfly. Just something really stupid like that. I have no problem with stupid.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

One on one interaction is definitely preferred over a group, unless the group is really small, like three people. I used to be incredibly shy, but now I have become much more outgoing, so even when talking with a stranger one on one I can be pretty chatty, but with a large group, it tends to make me quieter. For example, co-workers, who I work one on one with, have told me that they don’t think I am shy, but when I recently took a speech class I was horribly nervous. In a big part because I chose to share some of my personal writings and I am a naturally private person, so it was difficult to expose that to a bunch of strangers.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

I live in the U.S. The elements I hold important are service to others, politeness, people not acting like dicks to each other. Fairness, it pisses me off when someone acts like they are more important than others. Like they get to cut to the front of the line, why because what you need is so much more important. Compassion and concern for others.
I value individualism up to the point where it allows someone to embrace who they really are, then they can best serve the world. But it can easily go too far and people just become self-centered and indifferent. I have thought to myself a few times that the individualism in the U.S. is rampant.
I also don’t like the focus on materialism and how a lot of people seem dead to who they really are.
I also don’t care for and try to ignore the typical male/female stereotypes, mostly male since that applies to me. I view them as unnatural and cultural constructs. People are a slew of traits, with talents for certain virtues and for vices. A lot of people today have a lot of pressure on them and I think are just trying to live their lives, but I think that can also lead to them tuning themselves out. I think everyone wants to have a legacy, to connect with something deeper.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

I have usually been a pretty good rule follower. I was/am a dumbass, but not a trouble maker. I usually just go with the flow. But if someone is really putting pressure on me, like my mother did when I was younger, I would just kind of disconnect. I would do things, like say I am going to do something, but then never do it. I think my mother putting that pressure and acting like an authority figure with me really ruined her chance of influencing me because I just couldn’t wait to get away from her. In the working world, I have had some great bosses and not so great. If the boss was a dick that of course pissed me off and if they didn’t seem to know what they were doing, that also really pissed me off. I was/am much more receptive to a friendlier, warmer tactful approach. I know the structure is needed, but I don’t like too much structure. I am naturally very unstructured and in my ideal work situation, I would just be left alone to work. Authority I guess I don’t really have a problem with it like I said I can be a good little soldier, but ultimately I would like to be left alone.

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I have often thought of myself as anti-order, anti-structure. I am very disorganized and have been my whole life. Also, I have been very flexible my whole life and I suppose I have done alright staying in the moment. I don’t really make plans for things, even more, serious matters, they are only very general. I have trouble narrowing down exactly what I will do when it comes to a major decision. Like finally choosing my career direction, then thinking about specific work/jobs in the fields. At the same time, I am very routine. These routines are not productive though, but they are comforting. Like having the same type of coffee at around the same time or going to a store and getting the same items again and again. I naturally create these comforting, unproductive routines, but I stick to them, haha.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

For a long time one of my greatest fears was finding out I was incompetent. The fear of being incompetent really held me back for a while. It took me quite a while to get moving in my career direction because I always questioned my abilities. Also, I was very sensitive about people insulting my intelligence. I guess I was afraid of appearing stupid in some regards. Even in my spiritual journey, I always questioned my thoughts/opinions etc… because I thought of them as either obvious or are they just flat out wrong, a lot of doubt. A lot trying to get involved in the humanities(in my free time), I think because I wanted to think of myself as smart. But always questioning for a long time. Fairly recently I have just accepted that I am a dumbass. Haha. It has been very freeing.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

I think my greatest desire or my obsession has been, what was I created for, what am I supposed to do and how I can best serve, how can I make the best contribution possible to the world. I have been very focused on this for years and consider myself a career counseling enthusiast. I think they stem from a selfish desire to really excel at something, to really know who I am and to be competent, to feel in control. I think it also comes from my caring nature and wanting to be one of many people trying to put something good out there, that has some real value to other people. I also think I use this search for a purpose as an excuse to not engage the world more. Like not writing like I want, not putting myself out there.

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

The most energizing activities are being out in nature, telling stories and jokes, doing creative work, like writing and photography. I especially enjoy rewriting the essays I write (the little I have actually written) and editing photos. Spiritual work is energizing, sharing opinions, experiences, other sources of information on the spiritual journey and I really enjoy talking about life and the human condition, business, and marketing. But when I talk about life, I really don’t think I have much to add, I usually state the obvious or repeat someone else’s information or thoughts.

The activities that drain me are math, bureaucracy, paper work, working on cars. Working in a call center was awful. Chemistry, physics, some technology, but social media really interests me. (marketing student).

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your Enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I want to know my type in the hopes it will give me some clues as to who I am really am and help me realize the positive sides of myself. In the MBTI realm, I think I am either an ISFP or ISFJ. Honestly, I feel like I stuck in between the two of them and am a combination of them.
I think these types because I am a sensor, I am introverted and kind, helpful. The general descriptions apply to me. Till they start describing how responsible ISFJs are. I have never been a very responsible and organized person. Based on stereotypes, I thought the ISFP would be the best fit for me. But I am not adventurous, I am routine. I don’t want to stand out and I kind of have that group mentality in a certain aspect, mainly cooperation and service to others. Taking care of each other. But at the same time, I am a loner by nature and prefer to operate in the background where I can be left alone. I feel a pull between wanting to engage the world and at the same time, retreat from it.
I have been typed as a type nine. My tri-type is 962.
In a socionics forum, I was typed as a SEI/Si
When taking cognitive functions test, I usually end up with Si as my highest scoring function.
The other assessments type me as an ISFP.
The keys2cognition assessment I have taken multiple times to see how consistent my results are. A lot of the time I have scored as an ISFJ, and at times an ISFP. I just took it again and here are my results:

Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ****************************** (30.7)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************************************************** (52.9)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************************** (27.8)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************ (12.1)
unused
extraverted Thinking (Te) ****************** (18.4)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************** (16.5)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************************************** (51)
excellent use

When I first discovered type, I just went by the stereotypes and didn’t really think or dig deeply into it. I typed myself as an INFP, not because I thought that was a real possibility, but because I think I wanted to be an INFP. I think I wanted that because it ties back to me being self-conscious about my intelligence and competence.

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?

Like I stated earlier, I typed myself as an INFP and on some level, I tried to be like the INFP, the stereotypical version, but that could be why, if anything, sounds INFP like.