• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Did you experience any internal resistance when you first discovered your type(s)?

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
How did you feel when you found your best matched type(s)? Did you accept it? Did you resist a little bit and then accept it? Are you still resisting it in some way?

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I mean I was hesitant to actually believe I'm not an introvert. But I slowly realized that I'm actually not an introvert and ENFP fits me better than my previous typings of INFJ and INFP. I wouldn't call it resistant though.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How did you feel when you found your best matched type(s)? Did you accept it? Did you resist a little bit and then accept it? Are you still resisting it in some way?

I'm not even sure if this is my real type lol. I sort of kind of accepted it at this point, though there's a part of me that still thinks that it's wrong and I have some sort of bias/misunderstanding that I'm not addressing. I resisted my mbti type because I assumed just because I could empathize with others and came across as a kind person that I couldn't be a Ti dom. With enneagram, I didn't really resist being a 6, just didn't see it initially. I resisted the 7 wing for awhile because of not relating to the id, but understand why it fits better that what I had previously typed.

I'm still resisting I think, but more in a "what if I'm wrong" sort of way rather than "6w7 sp/so INTP is the stupidest type to exist" sort of way.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've gone through all the enneagram types besides 2 and about half of the MBTI types, which I think is on its own a form of resistance. It's taken me forever to finally come to this MBTI and enneagram combination. While this is the most confident I've been in terms of finding something that I believe describes me and my contradictory personality very well, I feel some resistance to accepting it because it's uncommon. (I mean, ISTP 4w3 6w5 1w9 so/sp isn't something you see every day.) I worry that I'm wrong and deep inside typing this way just because it makes me feel unique. Or I'm being oblivious about my true personality. Or I don't understand typology enough to actually type myself. I don't really want people to look at my info and think that I'm being stupid for thinking that it's possible I'm this type.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For a while I resisted because I was sure that I was an Extrovert. Then again, I do so much reflection and thinking, that I may miss things happen around me. Crowds and public speaking are stressful for me, like loud noises. Looking at the functions, I lead with Si and although I have Te, I'm a lot less responsible and productive with my time than someone with dominant Te. I'm still resisting Te, but it's inadvertently. I realize that I need to be a lot more disciplined, but when I don't care, it's hard for me to accomplish anything without motivation. When this happens, the only way I get things done is to just (figuratively) kick myself into getting it done because failing to get it done is worse in the long-term. Otherwise, I like decorum and tradition. I'm down to earth and practical. I'm generally no-nonsense. My brain really is like a library. I don't like drama or manipulation. I believe everyone should asses themselves before pointing blame, and that everyone should always try hard to improve themselves, while also holding themselves to their own standards. With all that in mind, yes I'm accepting my type, and for the most part, I'm proud of it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did accept it, once I had read enough to understand it, as it was obviously the best match to me. When reading descriptions of other types, there were always one or two things that I could identify with. When reading the descriptions for my own type, there was hardly anything I did not identify with. It therefore stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can be very lazy and procrastinate a lot, though. That really makes me wonder if I'm ISFP. I know that I'm Fi, and probably a sensor. I'm definitely an introvert. That only leaves ISTJ and ISFP.

:unsure:

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I first thought that I was INFP, but I always doubted that I was a feeler. Fast forward a year and my doubts were right.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Nope. Made perfect sense.

Digital Lion

Strictly regarding MBTI, I'm feeling "divergent" as fuck and it irritates me.

Hyperbole. I know that I'm an ENXJ. 100% positive I use Ni+Se (in that stacking order) and 75% sure I'm an extrovert.

But of all the many ENTJ and ENFJ type profiles I've read, neither of them fit me in totality (to the degree that MBTI attempts to do so). I feel like their bastard mutant offspring. Most of the ENTJ character descriptions focus on some cold, hyper rational, emotionally stunted, corporate, business systems oriented archetype and the ENFJ profiles veer towards warm, super caring, super nurturing, illogical, co-dependent people wranglers. I'm somewhere in between these two messes. lol

But I concede that I'm a special type of manimal. IMO, the problem is that MBTI doesn't seem to account for how upbringing, traumas (and subsequent therapy which stretches development) and neuro-developmental disorders might influence or skew someone's type. What are all the uniquely fucked up in the world to do? lol

If being empathic (HSP) and picking up on external feeling tones is inherent to type, then I'm an ENFJ. But supposedly there are HSP INTJs. And if an INTJ can be an HSP, an ENTJ should be as well, right? Because that would account for why I can better read emotions (and react to them if so inclined but not necessarily, cause they still freak me out) while still preferring to orient in the world with a Te sensibility. OR, maybe being raised around Te hammer wielders pushed me to develop higher Te?

Ugh, irritating. I just want to experience the warm, calming sensation of "knowing" my type, just once. lol

sacredjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
why would one have a internal resistance to their type? we are what we are.. if one scores as a type && does not like it then that is probably not their type, duh.. i am INFJ; (or INFP maybe; to reject one's type is to reject one's self.. to be true to oneself is the way to grow && overcome.

No. It was kind of like coming home in a way. Certain things that had plagued my introspection for decades suddenly made sense. I realized I wasn’t entirely different from other people. Being unique (everyone is really) is nice and ego pleasing and I don’t feel that I’ve lost any of that with finding my type. My type doesn’t define me so much as it defines how I define the world.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I think i'm intp but i still doubt it , there is alot of flaws in the theory and the reality work aside of the abstract world .
Now i'm trying if we can get consciousness of our others funtions by training using a self-taught method . If we can learn to play the piano , It is totally posible to learn to use others aprt of the brain.

Pd: Intp is boring ... for western cultures being an intp isn't great 'cause the economic system.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I barely value Fi as a function, let alone Si. So going from identifying as Si inferior to Si auxiliary was hard for me to validate to myself. I'm very strict with my interpretation of function stacking, so I know there's no way to be Ne Te Fi Si like I ideally would've accepted. While I still think I'm a purely extroverted person in that all my introverted functions are weak, I do think I gravitate towards Si and not in the "childlike" way ENFPs are characterized to do. There was probably a part of me too that didn't want to ID as ESTJ because I knew there would be jack squat in terms of decent typing descriptions for me, even though type descriptions are a terrible way to type yourself. But it still sucked, because I went from having pages and pages about the complexities to ENFP life to maybe a paragraph about ESTJs.

Breathing

It was odd coming to the conclusion that I am actually a feeling type. I guess I had these preconceptions about what that meant. Over the years I got used to viewing myself as this hard and objective person, especially since that's how I come across to the people closest to me (as well as to people at school). The mushy online stereotypes for INFPs are pretty hilarious. They made me really research the types thoroughly just to be sure I was one.

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I initially typed as INTJ on some test, and was like "kind of, but not really..?". The more I read, the more I felt like there's just no way I'm a Ni-dom. (My father laughed at the idea of me being an introvert.) I then considered ENTJ and even ESTP, but have decided that ENTP makes the most sense.
It took me a while to even consider being a perceiving type, as they're often stereotyped as being lazy. I'm enneagram 3, ambitious and always on top of my shit.. so there was some resistance toward accepting that I have "EXXP" qualities that I'm continuously working on keeping in check (pretty successfully).
Another thing I have a hard time accepting is my tertiary Fe (and PoLR Fi). I don't like that I want to be liked, and try to hide this as best as I can. It annoys me that I don't have strong convictions about a lot of things and don't know what I want/value/like/enjoy. (The plus side of this is that I'm pretty open-minded and can get along with people from very different backgrounds.) I don't like how I feed off of other people's energy and emotions, and how I can sometimes become manipulative (mostly when I was younger).
Inferior Si is shitty, but it explains a lot for me.

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A lot actually. I had typed myself as INFP for about a year so changing from one type to the other caused a big shift in the way that I saw myself and my perception of how other people saw me. My biggest complaint with my current type is that I feel like I use more Ne that an ISTJ but my Ji function wouldn't be inferior either. I also feel like my behavior changed when I switched types (Well, not really switched, but you get the idea), and I feel like I got more assertive, practical, grounded, and harsh. I kinda miss my old INFP persona. Used to be a lot nicer.