User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Gut Feelings?

Socionics
    EIE Ni

Default Gut Feelings?

So I keep experiencing this phenomenon over the years where I have these strong gut feelings about people and things... It is an almost instant subconscious assessment. I am not saying that I am clairvoyant or anything similar to that but I can usually make a snap judgment about something and at least about 85% of the time it tends to unfold itself within two years' time and turns out to be true. For example, my parents and doctors pressured me to have a surgery that I was convinced would not work, but I went through with it anyways. It turns out that it was wasted time and effort because the muscles were cut previously. Another time, one of the first words my friend used to describe his date was "overbearing" and at that moment in time, I knew that I never wanted to meet her and that she was going to be trouble and potentially abusive. It turned out to be accurate.

This happens frequently enough that people seem to think that I am a bit paranoid and analyze situations too much but then they come around to see my perspective. And because I decided to listen to my gut primarily (not blindly of course, I still look for evidence and observe), it has protected me from sketchy situations and unstable individuals. Is this an example of introverted intuition at work?
    Likes Tater, The Cat, magpie liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

This may or may not answer your question. I had an epiphany today that Ni tends to work as if there was another pheonomenon or force at work when I get answer on if my decision is correct.

I used to deny the messages I would get afterwards as rationalization of why I think I may be correct, which might be true but rather telling me (since I am mind oriented, not necessarily “thinking preference”) that my gut would send a confirmation message. It was as if this sudden message after my decision seemed to come from outside sources and if I didn’t question it I didn’t feel any struggle. However if I did question it, I’d fall on my own words and start getting stressed out. But the messages have been much much much more often than not correct.

Not easy to exactly show it through words, but I can tell the difference between my thoughts and this rapid intuitive messages that come along after this decision “confirming” I’m good to move ahead.

It is good that you do confirm these hunches from time to time. But also it’s good to remember that some decisions just have to be acted on faith as sometimes our responsibilities and obligations cannot always give us the time to confirm what we’ve done was right and life is of course too short for that anyway.
    Likes Tilt liked this post

Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    This may or may not answer your question. I had an epiphany today that Ni tends to work as if there was another pheonomenon or force at work when I get answer on if my decision is correct.

I used to deny the messages I would get afterwards as rationalization of why I think I may be correct, which might be true but rather telling me (since I am mind oriented, not necessarily “thinking preference”) that my gut would send a confirmation message. It was as if this sudden message after my decision seemed to come from outside sources and if I didn’t question it I didn’t feel any struggle. However if I did question it, I’d fall on my own words and start getting stressed out. But the messages have been much much much more often than not correct.

Not easy to exactly show it through words, but I can tell the difference between my thoughts and this rapid intuitive messages that come along after this decision “confirming” I’m good to move ahead.

It is good that you do confirm these hunches from time to time. But also it’s good to remember that some decisions just have to be acted on faith as sometimes our responsibilities and obligations cannot always give us the time to confirm what we’ve done was right and life is of course too short for that anyway.
    I am not 100% sure, but I will give it a try. I often experience an uneasiness when I go against those feelings and my mind will not let it go until I get to the bottom of it... No matter how much I try to rationalize it. The cool thing is though as I have gotten older, I have had an easier time articulating my suspicions in a somewhat logical fashion. It might be partly because, I was a bit worried that my SJ and NP family members would dismiss my worries without a solid case.
    Likes Forever liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post

It often seems to me as if "the universe" is confirming my intuitions. By this I mean that when I follow them and start acting upon them, things just work: I see a clear way forward, I get the resources or information I need, I overcome problems readily if they emerge, etc. It feels like I am swimming with the current, not against it.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha
    Likes The Cat, Tilt, Forever liked this post

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by FutureInProgress View Post
    So I keep experiencing this phenomenon over the years where I have these strong gut feelings about people and things... It is an almost instant subconscious assessment. I am not saying that I am clairvoyant or anything similar to that but I can usually make a snap judgment about something and at least about 85% of the time it tends to unfold itself within two years' time and turns out to be true. For example, my parents and doctors pressured me to have a surgery that I was convinced would not work, but I went through with it anyways. It turns out that it was wasted time and effort because the muscles were cut previously. Another time, one of the first words my friend used to describe his date was "overbearing" and at that moment in time, I knew that I never wanted to meet her and that she was going to be trouble and potentially abusive. It turned out to be accurate.

This happens frequently enough that people seem to think that I am a bit paranoid and analyze situations too much but then they come around to see my perspective. And because I decided to listen to my gut primarily (not blindly of course, I still look for evidence and observe), it has protected me from sketchy situations and unstable individuals. Is this an example of introverted intuition at work?
    And you're not an e6?

Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    And you're not an e6?
    I considered it for awhile a few years back, but what I am talking about goes beyond the general 6 mentality. I know the answer/something is off just because the information is pointing that way.... It's not purely based on anxiety.

Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It often seems to me as if "the universe" is confirming my intuitions. By this I mean that when I follow them and start acting upon them, things just work: I see a clear way forward, I get the resources or information I need, I overcome problems readily if they emerge, etc. It feels like I am swimming with the current, not against it.
    Yes exactly. This is what I am talking about. I get an insight, act accordingly and things usually seem to go my way. People often seem amused that despite my negativity, things seem to work out in my favor 90% of the time, if not in the present, it's usually for the long-term.

Softserve Ice Cream Agent Washington's Avatar

What we know without knowing how
    'Thin slices' of life

literally everyone does utilise info that their brains have already stored from what would seem to be extremely small segments of data. mythologizing concepts is no better than using zodiac.
    There's no love in fear.
    - Tool

Do we want to remind you of something? Yes: the world is good and we belong here.
    - Richard Siken
    Likes Tilt liked this post

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    So the answer is yes? I gather that i am some sort of NJ, closest to ENFJ.