• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Gut Feelings?

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I keep experiencing this phenomenon over the years where I have these strong gut feelings about people and things... It is an almost instant subconscious assessment. I am not saying that I am clairvoyant or anything similar to that but I can usually make a snap judgment about something and at least about 85% of the time it tends to unfold itself within two years' time and turns out to be true. For example, my parents and doctors pressured me to have a surgery that I was convinced would not work, but I went through with it anyways. It turns out that it was wasted time and effort because the muscles were cut previously. Another time, one of the first words my friend used to describe his date was "overbearing" and at that moment in time, I knew that I never wanted to meet her and that she was going to be trouble and potentially abusive. It turned out to be accurate.

This happens frequently enough that people seem to think that I am a bit paranoid and analyze situations too much but then they come around to see my perspective. And because I decided to listen to my gut primarily (not blindly of course, I still look for evidence and observe), it has protected me from sketchy situations and unstable individuals. Is this an example of introverted intuition at work?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This may or may not answer your question. I had an epiphany today that Ni tends to work as if there was another pheonomenon or force at work when I get answer on if my decision is correct.

I used to deny the messages I would get afterwards as rationalization of why I think I may be correct, which might be true but rather telling me (since I am mind oriented, not necessarily “thinking preference”) that my gut would send a confirmation message. It was as if this sudden message after my decision seemed to come from outside sources and if I didn’t question it I didn’t feel any struggle. However if I did question it, I’d fall on my own words and start getting stressed out. But the messages have been much much much more often than not correct.

Not easy to exactly show it through words, but I can tell the difference between my thoughts and this rapid intuitive messages that come along after this decision “confirming” I’m good to move ahead.

It is good that you do confirm these hunches from time to time. But also it’s good to remember that some decisions just have to be acted on faith as sometimes our responsibilities and obligations cannot always give us the time to confirm what we’ve done was right and life is of course too short for that anyway.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This may or may not answer your question. I had an epiphany today that Ni tends to work as if there was another pheonomenon or force at work when I get answer on if my decision is correct.

I used to deny the messages I would get afterwards as rationalization of why I think I may be correct, which might be true but rather telling me (since I am mind oriented, not necessarily “thinking preference”) that my gut would send a confirmation message. It was as if this sudden message after my decision seemed to come from outside sources and if I didn’t question it I didn’t feel any struggle. However if I did question it, I’d fall on my own words and start getting stressed out. But the messages have been much much much more often than not correct.

Not easy to exactly show it through words, but I can tell the difference between my thoughts and this rapid intuitive messages that come along after this decision “confirming” I’m good to move ahead.

It is good that you do confirm these hunches from time to time. But also it’s good to remember that some decisions just have to be acted on faith as sometimes our responsibilities and obligations cannot always give us the time to confirm what we’ve done was right and life is of course too short for that anyway.

I am not 100% sure, but I will give it a try. I often experience an uneasiness when I go against those feelings and my mind will not let it go until I get to the bottom of it... No matter how much I try to rationalize it. The cool thing is though as I have gotten older, I have had an easier time articulating my suspicions in a somewhat logical fashion. It might be partly because, I was a bit worried that my SJ and NP family members would dismiss my worries without a solid case.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It often seems to me as if "the universe" is confirming my intuitions. By this I mean that when I follow them and start acting upon them, things just work: I see a clear way forward, I get the resources or information I need, I overcome problems readily if they emerge, etc. It feels like I am swimming with the current, not against it.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I keep experiencing this phenomenon over the years where I have these strong gut feelings about people and things... It is an almost instant subconscious assessment. I am not saying that I am clairvoyant or anything similar to that but I can usually make a snap judgment about something and at least about 85% of the time it tends to unfold itself within two years' time and turns out to be true. For example, my parents and doctors pressured me to have a surgery that I was convinced would not work, but I went through with it anyways. It turns out that it was wasted time and effort because the muscles were cut previously. Another time, one of the first words my friend used to describe his date was "overbearing" and at that moment in time, I knew that I never wanted to meet her and that she was going to be trouble and potentially abusive. It turned out to be accurate.

This happens frequently enough that people seem to think that I am a bit paranoid and analyze situations too much but then they come around to see my perspective. And because I decided to listen to my gut primarily (not blindly of course, I still look for evidence and observe), it has protected me from sketchy situations and unstable individuals. Is this an example of introverted intuition at work?

And you're not an e6?

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And you're not an e6?

I considered it for awhile a few years back, but what I am talking about goes beyond the general 6 mentality. I know the answer/something is off just because the information is pointing that way.... It's not purely based on anxiety.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It often seems to me as if "the universe" is confirming my intuitions. By this I mean that when I follow them and start acting upon them, things just work: I see a clear way forward, I get the resources or information I need, I overcome problems readily if they emerge, etc. It feels like I am swimming with the current, not against it.

Yes exactly. This is what I am talking about. I get an insight, act accordingly and things usually seem to go my way. People often seem amused that despite my negativity, things seem to work out in my favor 90% of the time, if not in the present, it's usually for the long-term.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Exactly. And the thing is, if you get a feeling that you don't want to align yourself with, you just choose to detach from the outcome, and change the script in your head. That's a key point to handle negativity and self-defeating beliefs.
I think this is one of the main points that comes into play in relationships. When we forge a connection, it is a freaking strong connection that transcends the space-time continuum.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To clarify, a lot of the gut feelings aren't negative... Just gave some negative examples. A positive example: the first time I met my ISTJ friend, I knew that I wanted to be friends with him. It didn't materialize until two years later but 2 years in, we are still going on strong. Just something about his demeanor and his overall energy even though he hardly said a word.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have gut feelings, but I just dont trust them.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When there's an actual 'truth' or set of facts, I'm all about "trust but verify." Sometimes that means playing devil's advocate. Sometimes that means making a quick decision but being open to changing it. Sometimes it means grinding through as much info as I absolutely can about the subject. Checking reality's pulse from time to time is a part of wisdom and growth, which in turn enables better decisions and reduces the dreaded confirmation bias.

Though that can only happen if there actually is a 'truth' that can be checked. There's no 'truth' in moving to a different city or making a hiring decision. There are many times when I've offloaded decisions to something external -- flipping a coin, drawing up a list of pros and cons, constructing a decision matrix, etc. -- but then wound up ignoring their conclusions and rolled with what I simply felt good about.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I considered that too but I remember from the old days of type c how people used to correlate Ni with gut instinct/predictions so I was exploring that from a different angle.

I consider Ni to be geared towards pattern recognition but from a subjective vantage point.