• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] INFP test result due to logic?

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
This AM just for the sake of experimenting I tested again on 16Personalities, but this time I tried really hard not to have any neutrals in there, even if the questions were flawed or made no sense, etc. INFP.
The questions on there were intensely restrictive, limiting.

"Winning a debate matters less to you than making sure no one gets upset."
First of all, "winning a debate" tends to entail some degree of pride, strife, and contention. I prefer calm, rational, logical discussion-style "debate" in which the goal isn't to win, but to think--and I call this cognitively exploring with someone as a duo or a team. I also don't want people to get upset in the process, and it's no longer enjoyable for me if they do. Fighting isn't my idea of fun.

Furthermore, often times peoples' logical conclusions are just over-glorified opinions: if it was really possible to come to the knowledge of truth (objective truth) through rational thinking, wouldn't everyone applying logic and seeking objectivity arrive at the same conclusion? Why would there even be any debate? Why am I going to assert myself at the expense of a person's feelings when I know that things are subjective? Why would I tear down a friendship over subjective logic? Especially when I actually do care if I hurt someone, offend someone, cause damage to a relationship. I'll "make a stand" when it's something I know is true or right, but it's not an enjoyable process to me.

I put true. Of course, this shifted me towards the F spectrum. Wait. Wasn't this just a logical answer?

Another question I had a problem with:
"You consider yourself more practical than creative."
Actually, I consider myself to be a logical creative, and practicality a part of logic. Placing it on opposite ends of a spectrum implies that creativity is impractical, or practicality is not creative, doesn't it? How can I answer this when creativity can be so practical, and practicality can be so creative, and I love both so much? Even for, "working smarter, not harder" this entails creativity and practicality. Stick this question in front of a team of Engineers and Industrial Designers...I wonder how many neutral answers there will be.

Just sharing something that offers a new perspective.

Tater

I agree. A person can score as "T" for "F" reasons or vice versa. The same can be said for all of the dichotomies MBTI claims are valid.

The test's dichotomies practically blend in to each other as well. For instance, you might have someone score points as an "E" for "F" reasons, "T" for "S" reasons, or any other variation.

So, at that point, you know the tests aren't reliable because the principles behind them effectively overlap.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I agree. A person can score as "T" for "F" reasons or vice versa. The same can be said for all of the dichotomies MBTI claims are valid.

The test's dichotomies practically blend in to each other as well. For instance, you might have someone score points as an "E" for "F" reasons, "T" for "S" reasons, or any other variation.

So, at that point, you know the tests aren't reliable because the principles behind them effectively overlap.

Exactly.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
None of the type tests are all that reliable. They only test for dichotomies, not functions, and results can change based on your emotional state. Specifically for the INFP, it seems to be a common result for people with depression or simple doormat behavior. Not to say you exhibit either of those things, but just as an example. If you have a lot of confidence, you'll test ESTP. If you feel like you don't fit in with your peers, you'll test INFJ. So on, so on. All stereotypes, none definite to your type and a few quite negative.

As the above said, dichotomies are tested on a scale. Meaning you could test close between ENFJ and ENFP if your P vs J ratio is near even, but both have very different cognitive functioning. And the J vs P point system is usually impacted by questions like 'how messy is your room'. I trust I do not need to explain why this is a flawed test system in deciding your type.

I view the personality tests as something enjoyable to pass between friends. It's not meant to be for people who are interested in cognitive theory, it's meant to attract the biggest crowd. The majority of people are just looking for a quick test, to glance at the interesting bits of the result for fun and move on to the next online quiz. I don't think anyone with knowledge on the cognitive functions believes that personality descriptions are reliable. Perhaps a shallow place to start, like if you get a bunch of different results and only test INXX then you're probably one of the INXX types, but it's still not a good concrete decider.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
None of the type tests are all that reliable. They only test for dichotomies, not functions, and results can change based on your emotional state. Specifically for the INFP, it seems to be a common result for people with depression or simple doormat behavior. Not to say you exhibit either of those things, but just as an example. If you have a lot of confidence, you'll test ESTP. If you feel like you don't fit in with your peers, you'll test INFJ. So on, so on. All stereotypes, none definite to your type and a few quite negative.

As the above said, dichotomies are tested on a scale. Meaning you could test close between ENFJ and ENFP if your P vs J ratio is near even, but both have very different cognitive functioning. And the J vs P point system is usually impacted by questions like 'how messy is your room'. I trust I do not need to explain why this is a flawed test system in deciding your type.

I view the personality tests as something enjoyable to pass between friends. It's not meant to be for people who are interested in cognitive theory, it's meant to attract the biggest crowd. The majority of people are just looking for a quick test, to glance at the interesting bits of the result for fun and move on to the next online quiz. I don't think anyone with knowledge on the cognitive functions believes that personality descriptions are reliable. Perhaps a shallow place to start, like if you get a bunch of different results and only test INXX then you're probably one of the INXX types, but it's still not a good concrete decider.

Perhaps it's only the MBTI tests that are shredded for me right now...
I tried, but I can't let go of functions just yet.
I notice too much function stuff (especially Se) in everyone to let go just yet.