• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MMORPGs and MBTI

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
1. What MMORPG(s) do you play?

Lord of the Rings Online, at the moment.

Before that: Ragnarok Online (1 year), Anarchy Online (2 years), Voyage Century (3 months), Pirates of the Burning Sea (6 months), EVE (1 month total), ROSE Online (2 months), Saga of Ryzome (4 months)

2. How long have you been playing?

LOTRO: 18ish months. MMOs in general: since I was 15 so...6 years.

3. Roughly how many hours do you play each week?

It varies. I'm on a campaign to keep myself within reasonable play times, but it still amounts to 20ish hours a week when I'm enjoying myself too much.

4. What was your reason for starting?

I liked the idea of playing with other real people. That and I liked the idea of a world actually being properly populated with characters that had unpredictable behaviour.

5. What is your reason for continuing to play?

It's fun, social, and satisfies the need to explore a world that isn't the one I know.

6. Do you feel that you are 'addicted' to the game? Could you quit today and not go back? Explain.

Sometimes. It's why I've stopped playing them for a couple of months (and yet, surprise surprise, I'm off playing an RPG that's similar to an MMO anyway). I usually start feeling addicted when I can't seem to just walk away from the computer regardless of what I'm doing or I start feeling overly obligated to my guildmates. That's what I kinda hate about MMORPGs. No pause button. :(

It's possible. I've discovered that I can keep myself busy enough without playing. Eventually I'd miss it a little bit or at least miss the people I left behind. Would I quit MMOs forever? No. Especially because I want to be one of the guys that does concept art for such games.

7. Have you ever been a GM? (Guild master)

Yes. Never again. I got to experience how much bitching goes on when a GM is around. And then...I got all these nice super powers. Let's just say that without actual real life rammifications...I...might have...cheated in PvP a bit just to piss people off. :blush:

Edit: Wait. GUILD master. Oops. No. I've never actually led a guild and I wouldn't. I'm not too great at leading people to do social activities. I'd just end up letting them all do whatever and then get stressed out at having to dicipline people.

8. What is the best part of online gaming?

New content. That's the best part. The virtual guarantee (because otherwise the company wouldn't get money) that there will be reasonably scheduled new content. With other games, you don't necessarily get that if the game does not easily support user generated content (ie. modding).

9. How different from your real-life self is your online personality?

My brother has observed and told me I'm funnier, more confident, and more articulate in the intellectual arena when I talk to him online. So, odds are, I'm me, but MORE of me. Like the me I am in real life when I'm actually feeling utterly safe, relaxed, and accepted. Those conditions occur so rarely that other people just don't see it much. My brother doesn't see it much because he teases me so much that I end up feeling rather embarrassed for myself whenever I'm around him--plus he's super freaking smart and I know he could outwit me in a debate and that makes me a little nervous sometimes.

10. What is your MBTI type?

INFJ

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
World of Warcraft, Starwars Galaxies, currently playing EVE Online

On and off since... 2004?

That varies a lot depending on how much time I have to play games.
Right now? Lots!

I played Freelancer singleplayer and multiplayer... EVE seemed akin to Freelancer.
Just started playing EVE, to be honest. I'm on a trial account and I just bought my first Destroyer (big ship)...
I'm kind of in love ! :D Going to buy the game, definitely.

It is relaxing, and it keeps me from becoming a pirate, plundering in real life :D

6. Do you feel that you are 'addicted' to the game? Could you quit today and not go back? Explain.
Nope, just started playing. Never really been addicted to a game. Certainly not MMOs.
I actually tend to dislike them, favoring a linear good story over open-ended things.
I approach games kind of like I approach watching a movie. It's good entertainment for a while.

Yes, I have been a GM in WoW, and I might start my own corporation (guild) in EVE.

In EVE, it would be the endless possibilities, the vast player-filled universe, commerce...
And of course piracy.

I don't RP in EVE, and I am myself in the sense that I advance and structure things, plan ahead.

ENTJ

dorcus0

MBTI Type
INTP
RuneScape. Played it for 4 or 5 years.

At most, I could play 20 hours a week, sometimes 25. Now, I'm on about 30 minutes per week.

Friends played the game.

A 'sense of achievement'.

I'm sort of addicted. I'm compelled to check in for half an hour a week to look for updates (if any), but I don't play much now. I can't just let go of a character I've spent hundreds of hours developing, but I don't think improving my character is worth my time anymore.

No.

Finding or using strategies that work, whether it's a co-op or PvP situation.

Online personality is a bit more extraverted, and a bit less willing to help.

INTP, strong I and T functions, moderate P and N

BigSwede

MBTI Type
ENFp

WoW(Cursedbethisgoshdarngame).
EvE Online with the Jesus.

Started on Oct 2004 with the launch of SWG.

Around..30 hours ?

SWG: Sounded and looked interesting, and it really was up untill the second CU (Combat Upgrade) when they messed the entire game up.

WoW: I got sucked in by a mate of mine. Stopped playing for a bit but the next expansion seems rather interesting.

EvE: Always liked Space SIM's.

The people I play with, an MMO is build around a social aspect. Without it there aint really no reason to play.

In a heartbeat. I play games for enjoyment, not as a job.
If a game ever ended up being more important or starting to feel like one, it's time to quit. Period.

Yes, led one of the top Progression raid guilds in WoW a year back.
Cant say I will ever do it again.

The feeling of improving a character is satisfying in itself.
And of course the new content that's added keeps it interesting.

Well, not different at all.
I help where I can.
Take where I see fit.
And pillage, loot, burn and destroy when the urge sets in.

ENFJ.

Triglav

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I play eve online and focus on the economic aspect to the game. I have been playing for 4 years and have amassed half a trillion ISK.