User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I don't type people unless I'm prompted to, and sometimes not even then. I had ideas of what I thought you were, but unless you were genuinely curious as to what they were I wasn't going to tell you.
    Likes Red Memories liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Fiend View Post
    I don't type people unless I'm prompted to, and sometimes not even then. I had ideas of what I thought you were, but unless you were genuinely curious as to what they were I wasn't going to tell you.
    If I had asked you what type I was before I told you I was Tater, what would you have said?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I for one am critical and skeptical of the type people list.
    There isn't any chance in hell, I would ever fall prey to confirmation bias.

If anything, it's the opposite - I detect when people are attempting to direct a typing a particular way, and I look for things that conflict with their self-typings.

The only time I play the 'confirmation bias' game is in some threads ala "is the person above you accurately typed?" like on PerC - where it's almost to keep the conversation flowing, and not a real thorough dissection of anybodies type.
    If they want that, they should - and do - make a thread for themselves in the appropriate section.

Good luck tricking me into believing you're a particular type (goes for everybody).
    I do keep these thoughts to myself more often than not - choosing to simply not respond to such clear attempts at deceit.

There's an example in the what my type thread here at the moment - a very clear Sensing type is trying their absolute hardest to appear as an intuitive.
    I won't link or name-drop, but it's incredibly obvious.

Ain't nobody fallin' for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Turi View Post

There's an example in the what my type thread here at the moment - a very clear Sensing type is trying their absolute hardest to appear as an intuitive.
    I won't link or name-drop, but it's incredibly obvious.

Ain't nobody fallin' for that.
    Meanwhile, you're probably the sensor and they're the intuitive.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Meanwhile, you're probably the sensor and they're the intuitive.
    Couldn't care less.
    Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    If I had asked you what type I was before I told you I was Tater, what would you have said?
    Some kind of SFJ honestly.
    Likes Tater, Enigma liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Turi View Post
    Couldn't care less.
    Have a nice day.
    Get a sense of humor.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Get a sense of humor.
    If they're on sale I'll pick one up, but I'm not paying full price.
    Likes Red Memories, Enigma liked this post

It would have been very interesting to start a new Johari/Nohari and compare results with the INFP typing vs. the ISTP typing.

I'd like to find a way to try that out in a more controlled setting. It became clear that sometimes people start to see you a certain way when they think you're a sensor. At best, you're a badass. At worst, you're a dumbass. For example, at least one person thought I played aggressively in the Mafia game to the point of comparing it to physical violence. I kind of got the impression that Mal thought I was Se because I was hostile or something.

So, it would be nice to have full, illustrative samples of biases like that via Johari/Nohari.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm not trying to misinterpret your comment. How does the distinction apply here?
    I was referring to people second-guessing others' types. There are many reasons why a person might be uncertain about their type, or claim a type that really isn't theirs. Confirmation bias is just one of them, and applies to much more that people claim about themselves, not just type. Unless another person is a very good friend or otherwise knows quite a bit about them, they still have more insight on which to base a type decision than that other person, though that person might be able to offer helpful observations.

I think what it means to be a Christian or a Baby Boomer is pretty uniform. All Christians believe that "Christ", as mentioned in the Bible, is the son of their god. Of course, a wide range of variance exists in terms of other beliefs they hold, what character traits they possess, and what sects they associate with. However, the key here is that religious affiliation says something at all.

Contrast this with MBTI. For some people, the J/P dichotomy contradicts the functions they prefer. Most notably, this is the case for people who believe that Socionics more accurately describes their cognition and behavior.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

From another angle: Categories of religion and generation apply so broadly because they say so little, while categories like MBTI apply so narrowly because they say so much.
    This is more like it, and part of my point. Categories of religion and generation say very little about us, but we still find utility in them. Types are narrower but still rather broad. There is considerable variation within each one, though they still say something meaningful about how members of that group approach the world. That is because of the kinds of information type includes, as opposed to many of the other categories we use.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha