User Tag List

123 Last

Default Fs whose values are T things?

We all naturally use one mode of operation within each category more easily and more frequently than we use the other mode of operation. So, we are said to "prefer" one function over the other. The combination of our four "preferences" defines our personality type. Although everybody functions across the entire spectrum of the preferences, each individual has a natural preference which leans in one direction or the other within the four categories.

Our Flow of Energy defines how we receive the essential part of our stimulation. Do we receive it from within ourselves (Introverted) or from external sources (Extraverted)? Is our dominant function focused externally or internally?

The topic of how we Take in Information deals with our preferred method of taking in and absorbing information. Do we trust our five senses (Sensing) to take in information, or do we rely on our instincts (iNtuitive)?

The third type of preference, how we prefer to Make Decisions, refers to whether we are prone to decide things based on logic and objective consideration (Thinking), or based on our personal, subjective value systems (Feeling).

These first three preferences were the basis of Jung's theory of Personalty Types. Isabel Briggs Myers developed the theory of the fourth preference, which is concerned with how we deal with the external world on a Day-to-day Basis. Are we organized and purposeful, and more comfortable with scheduled, structured environments (Judging), or are we flexible and diverse, and more comfortable with open, casual environments (Perceiving)? From a theoretical perspective, we know that if our highest Extraverted function is a Decision Making function, we prefer Judging. If our highest Extraverted function is an Information Gathering function, we prefer Perceiving.

Source: Information About Personality Type
    So I was reading on this site and a thought occurred to me:
    what if an F's personal, subjective value system was to be a T?
    Like, say they were raised this way by a T and believe or feel very strongly that this is the right way to be...

Thoughts anyone?

Edit - I may just not be understanding Fs? When I read about F stuff I struggle to understand it.
    Likes magpie liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

Feeling is a rational function just like Thinking is. Honestly, the dichotomies are too extreme and very few people fall into one of the other neatly.

I understand what you mean though. For example, FJ males / men who value Fe often time appear to be Thinkers, because it aligns more with their "role" in society, and Fe is quite attuned to these roles.

But there is a difference between a Thinker, and a Feeler who wants to be a Thinker.

In the end, it's about cognitive preferences and what comes to us naturally, and how we think rather than what we do. And after all, we all have a Feeling and a Thinking function in us somewhere.
    Likes LucieCat, PumpkinMayCare liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

I should probably add that I mean feeling is a Rational function with a capital R, not little r, and jsut make that distinction. I mean Jungian Rational, not like logical rational, lol. (Although it can be that too.)
    Likes Enigma liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Seeker View Post
    [B]So I was reading on this site and a thought occurred to me:
    what if an F's personal, subjective value system was to be a T?
    Such people are prime suspects for mistyping as Thinkers.

On the other hand, if such a person consistently acts on that value system from early enough in life, maybe she would be a Thinker, just one who had developed a preference a bit more consciously than other people developed their cognitive preferences. But that seems unlikely because it would have to start in childhood.
    Do not assume.

Kind of describes me, TBH.
    Likes Enigma liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

You cannot healthily value becoming someone else. You can value the traits often associated with being a T, like logic or concrete thinking, but to value becoming someone you would have to actively be making efforts to change yourself. And do I think this is possible for an F? No. You cannot change who you are. If you are an F, you are a natural feeler and trying to overuse your low order Tx function will only cause unhealthy effects. You can use your Tx functions to help support your Fx functions, but you cannot replace your F with T.

But can you be a healthy feeler who values logic? Yes, definitely. A good amount do, but those people also value the things that make them who they are. You can experience life emotionally but still use logic to back that emotion up and vice versa, that process should not interfere with your core being. Personal, subjective value systems don't have to be illogical.

Off-topic but honestly, I'm really getting tired of the stigma that feelers need to develop their Tx function but thinkers don't because feelings are useless. A healthy type should be using all their functions properly in the right stacking. I think that every type should work on their lower functions, but it seems like some are expected to do this more than others.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by notmyapples View Post
    Off-topic but honestly, I'm really getting tired of the stigma that feelers need to develop their Tx function but thinkers don't because feelings are useless. A healthy type should be using all their functions properly in the right stacking. I think that every type should work on their lower functions, but it seems like some are expected to do this more than others.
    I must agree with this, at least in a general sense. I am not sure there is universal agreement on what constitutes the "right" stacking, just some prevailing models that are difficult to validate. But everyone both thinks and feels, or more accurately, applies both objective (logic) and subjective (values) judgment in life. We will either do this well, or do this poorly, depending on how much attention we give to that aspect. Our feelings will indeed be useless, or worse, harmful, if we cannot address them constructively. In general, we do better to develop our strengths than to work on our weaknesses, but some minimum proficiency across the board is needed, as well as the willingness to accept help or collaboration from people whose skills and preferences complement our own.

As for the need to be yourself, I agree entirely. I for one find it almost impossible to do anything else, and the thought of even trying makes me want to go crawl under a stone somewhere.
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. ~ Buddha
    Likes notmyapples, Tilt liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te

Fs types who has Te or Ti as their ter function could project themselves as real T types.
    It is like people who has ter Ni or Si who view themselves as J types as well and project it well.
    Life Path 4. True Neutral 8 1 6 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson
    ===Logical Crusader===

Dail [or Daer] ú-[o] chyn [or fyn/thyn] [?] Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad.
    Likes notmyapples liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Norexan View Post
    Fs types who has Te or Ti as their ter function could project themselves as real T types.
    It is like people who has ter Ni or Si who view themselves as J types as well and project it well.
    This is very possible and does cause mistyping. I'm not sure why, but many types seem to have a fascination with their tertiary functions. Maybe it's because you're both conscious of it since it is low-order and it functions more naturally in comparison to your inferior, but this still shouldn't be able to override your dominant, even in a mistyping scenario.

Good question and, yes.

A perfect case is from this forum. There was a guy who had my type in his profile for years. The problem was, nearly every argument of his was based on an obvious moral compass and righteous indignation. (Where the hell was the logic?) He posted with force which led many people to buy his type even more, but my eye was where it should be - his arguments. I thought he was ENFP, not ENTJ. It was that obvious to me. I decided to take a walk through his old threads since I had a hunch I'd find the answer, hiding. I did. He started a thread asking whether he was ENFP or ENFJ. In that thread he admitted that his STJ father probably "trained" him to be an ENTJ. Trained? I'm guessing his father was an STJ military-type prick, hammering the ENFP's idealism right out of him and now the ENFP was forced to "TJ" his way through life so Daddy would approve.

For years people thought this guy was the classic ENTJ. Why? Force. That's about it. If I had a dollar for every NFP typed as a TJ because of their mouth . . . we even went through a run of female ENFPs suddenly typing themselves as ESTJs. I'm talking about women who we already knew were ENFPs, then got a wild hair up their ass and decided to start a thread proclaiming "I have a Te hammer!" (Notice the force reference, again?) Typically, the thread would go on and on and on and on and on and on and on until an INTP and myself stepped in and asked if everyone in the thread had gone mad. Type is not about force or pleasing Daddy. The goal is to become whole.
    Likes notmyapples, Tilt, Dreamer liked this post