User Tag List

123 Last

Default Estp and being a nerd

Can estp be nerdy/geeky?
    I always see the NTs come up as the nerdy ones.
    I for one identify and tested as a estp but I'm a huge nerd.
    I know the lore for lord of the rings,game of thrones. I' heavily into dungeons and dragons,magic the gathering.
    I watch and quote movies all the time and I love reading and learning facts about music specifically metal and the bands associated with that genre.
    I listen to mainly death,black,thrash and power metal.
    I want to be a history teacher

Yet I never see these type things for estp. Could i be typed wrong?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I read fantasy novels and once wrote one, love star trek and took math in college as an elective (calculus)... nerdiness knows no type

- - - Updated - - -

Ummm... not to mention I'm a moderator on an internet forum...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Peter Deadpan, Hard liked this post

MBTI
    TeNi
    Enneagram
    584 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENTj Te

Metal is more likely and strongly connect to ISTP but ESTP can be as well.
    Oh yeah xSTP can love games and everything about computers.
    Infact games and mechanic things are strongly connect to ISTP.
    Remember Ti is a key.
    True Neutral /SLOAN+ RxOe|I|/5w4-8w9-4w5 Te>Ni>Fi>Ti>>>>>Fe
    "There is no intellectualism in faith. Both atheist and theist choose their belief system based on ego and self-preservation." by 2017

"People are like a computers. Most of them have a need of someone to menage them. Otherwise they are useless."
    -by myself.
    YOUR POINT OF VIEW IS NOT IMPORTANT CUZ YOU MADE IT UNIMPORTANT!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by miss fortune View Post
    Ummm... not to mention I'm a moderator on an internet forum...
    That one is pretty damning

egg head
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

For an explanation of why I think INs are the MBTI foursome most rightly associated with nerdacity, see the spoiler at the end of this post.

You sound more like an INT to me, and that's how you used to type yourself (e.g., here and here). What made you switch to ES?

The official MBTI is really the only MBTI-related test that has a lot of psychometric support behind it. If you've never taken it, here's an online copy. It doesn't score you automatically, but it shows which preference corresponds to each response, so you can calculate your result for each dimension. I'd be curious to see your scores.

And in case you're up for taking it and are interested in some guidance with respect to the proper "frame of mind," here's what the MBTI Manual says:

Some people have trouble finding the correct frame of mind for answering the MBTI. When reporting the results to some people, they say they reported their "work self," "school self," "ideal self," or some other self they now consider atypical. The frame of reference desired in respondents is what has been termed the "shoes-off self." The "shoes-off self" fosters an attitude in which one functions naturally, smoothly, and effortlessly, and in which one is not going "against one's grain." The function of the MBTI is to provide the first step toward understanding one's natural preferences.

Just in case you're interested — and only if you're interested — in a boatload of type-me-related input from me, you'll find it in a 10-post series that starts here. Those posts include a separate section on each of the four MBTI dimensions, roundups of online profiles for each of the 16 types, and a brief intro to Neuroticism — not to mention a provocative discussion of that perennial puzzler, "can I haz INTx?"
    Likes Digital Lion liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Oh, I'm sorry...I must be an NT then...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Oh, I'm sorry...I must be an NT then...
    Type isn't about "must be" and "never does." It's about tendencies and probabilities.

But I'm guessing you knew that.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by reckful View Post
    Type isn't about "must be" and "never does." It's about tendencies and probabilities.

But I'm guessing you knew that.
    Of course, I'm just fucking tired of all of this statistical anomaly bullshit that applies to me apparently because all smart people are apparently Ns...I didn't hear anything in that post that I found to be an unusual interest (except that I prefer punk to metal), in fact, I have 3 liberal arts degrees and a minor in history... but you know better about estps
    Likes Hard, cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Of course, I'm just fucking tired of all of this statistical anomaly bullshit that applies to me apparently because all smart people are apparently Ns...I didn't hear anything in that post that I found to be an unusual interest (except that I prefer punk to metal), in fact, I have 3 liberal arts degrees and a minor in history... but you know better about estps
    Not sure what you mean by "statistical anomaly bullshit," but as I said, type truly is about tendencies and probabilities, and as a general matter, statistics are a better source than anecdotes. Which is not to say it isn't OK to talk about anecdotal examples — and I do it all the time.

As for "all smart people" being N's, I've never said that, so if you're angry with me about that issue, perhaps your anger is misdirected.

And as for "you know better about estps"... the OP specifically questioned his own ESTP typing, and specifically raised the "nerd" issue, and he asked for input. So I gave him my perspective that INs are the likeliest types to be nerds — and also noted that he used to consider himself an INT. I didn't say he couldn't be an ESTP, or claim to "know better about estps" than any other person.

Thanks for listening.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

As a follow-up for the OP's (possible) benefit...

The latest edition of the MBTI Manual devotes a separate section to each two-letter combination. Here's how it describes INs (who it labels The Thoughtful Innovators):

Introverts with Intuition (INs) are introspective and scholarly. They are interested in knowledge for its own sake, as well as ideas, theory, and depth of understanding. They are the least practical of the types, preferring the complexity of theory to the pragmatism of accomplishments in the world. Regardless of whether their Intuition is dominant and introverted (INFJ, INTJ) or auxiliary and extraverted (INFP, INTP), these types enjoy and seek out each other's company, feeling affirmed in their intellectual or philosophical interests and in their disinterest in and sometimes disdain for the practical world that seems to be so attractive to other types. They may be judged by others as too serious and as missing out on may of the activities and experiences available in the outside world. ...

As types who are very serious academically, the results shown in Table 4.18 in the education area are not surprising. The intellectual sphere is often 'home' for IN types. It is therefore reasonable that, except for INFJ, they are the types most likely to report one or more ways in which they are dissatisfied with their work lives. Careers and jobs that allow people to devote the majority of their time to intellectual pursuits are relatively uncommon in the modern workplace.

And here's how it describes ESs (who it labels The Action-Oriented Realists):

Extraverts with Sensing (ESs) are active, realistic doers and are the most practical of the types. They learn best when useful applications are obvious. They enjoy the material world and devote attention to the appearance of things, both aesthetically and from a practical, utilitarian perspective. The pleasure and accomplishment involved in experiencing as much of the world as possible can be a persistent goal of ESs, and they may go to some effort to seek out particular interesting places, activities, modes of travel, and experiences. Regardless of whether their Sensing is extraverted and dominant (ESTP, ESFP) or introverted and auxiliary (ESTJ, ESFJ), the types in this quadrant typically appear confident of their relationship to the world and all it contains.