User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Theory and Mbti

  1. #1
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20,121

    Default Theory and Mbti

    A theory is a fact, and Physics has a theory, Chemistry has a theory, and Biology has a theory, but Psychology does not have a theory. So Psychology is still at the stage of Taxonomy, that is Psychology can't make reliable predictions.

    Psychometrics is part of Psychology, and is the measurement of the psyche. So Psychometrics can't make reliable predictions.

    Mbti pretends to be part of Psychometrics in the same way Christian Science pretends to be part of Christianity, and for the same purpose: to falsely assume the status of science.

    So both Christian Science and mbti are plausible: they are believable but not true.

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni
    Posts
    9,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    A theory is a fact, and Physics has a theory, Chemistry has a theory, and Biology has a theory, but Psychology does not have a theory. So Psychology is still at the stage of Taxonomy, that is Psychology can't make reliable predictions.

    Psychometrics is part of Psychology, and is the measurement of the psyche. So Psychometrics can't make reliable predictions.

    Mbti pretends to be part of Psychometrics in the same way Christian Science pretends to be part of Christianity, and for the same purpose: to falsely assume the status of science.

    So both Christian Science and mbti are plausible: they are believable but not true.
    (to the bolded)

    What? Did you just merge the divide between sensors and intuitives? Are you our savior?

    The Anti-MBTI hero?

    Just doing your job I see..

  3. #3
    Potential is My Addiction Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    794
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    A theory is a fact, and Physics has a theory, Chemistry has a theory, and Biology has a theory, but Psychology does not have a theory. So Psychology is still at the stage of Taxonomy, that is Psychology can't make reliable predictions.

    Psychometrics is part of Psychology, and is the measurement of the psyche. So Psychometrics can't make reliable predictions.

    Mbti pretends to be part of Psychometrics in the same way Christian Science pretends to be part of Christianity, and for the same purpose: to falsely assume the status of science.

    So both Christian Science and mbti are plausible: they are believable but not true.

    What is your point to this thread? To clarify my question, yes, some do see the science, and I use that term to describe the construct and organization of theory and ideas, and some wish it to be a legitimate science, but what is the MBTI or any other personality type system serving at that point for those individuals? Is it the system itself that should be vilified or does the problem instead, lie in the use of the MBTI some individuals may attribute to the system as a means to remedy their life problems, whatever those may include. If we get rid of the vessel through which these people seek answers, they will only find it in yet another. The issue therefore was never really solved but only redirected and perhaps at that point, more obscure.

    If one understands the system for what it is, as a tool, then it only finds itself useful within the person’s life when the need is called upon. Among the many other tools one has at their disposal in navigating various personalities and types of people, how is the MBTI any more harmful? You could just as easily claim that personal experiences with people, not a theory or pseudoscience, may cause someone to prematurely draw inwards and isolate themselves from social contact. What they may not know, is that they may have just come across some negative influences and those influences have unfortunately colored that person’s outlook on people in general.
    The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams
    -Eleanor Roosevelt


    ~Always, an Enthusiastic_Dreamer

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    29,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    A theory is a fact.
    No, no its not, in fact its the opposite and I'm sure you have access to dictionaries in Australia.

  5. #5
    Endless Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    26,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    No, no its not, in fact its the opposite and I'm sure you have access to dictionaries in Australia.
    Presumably they are taught science, too, though we all know the limitations in introducing a horse to water.
    “All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”– Douglas Adams

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    20,150

    Default

    A theory is a fact? Put down the bong.
    Likes Yama, Lark, Eternal Harmony liked this post

  7. #7
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Presumably they are taught science, too, though we all know the limitations in introducing a horse to water.
    This horse knows in science a theory is s fact, like the periodic table is a fact in chemistry. By contrast in popular culture a theory is a speculation.

  8. #8
    Endless Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    26,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This horse knows in science a theory is s fact, like the periodic table is a fact in chemistry. By contrast in popular culture a theory is a speculation.
    Then you were mistaught. A theory is an explanation that accounts for all known facts.
    “All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”– Douglas Adams

  9. #9

    Default

    The tism

  10. #10
    Quetzalcoatl Norexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp
    Socionics
    LIE Te
    Posts
    2,273

    Default

    I made conclusion that some MBTI types with low intelligence or knowledge become much healthier personalities...
    Life Path 4. True Neutral 8 1 6 3 7 5 Teexcellent>Niexcellent>Figood>Tigood>>>>Siaverage>Fe unused
    The most sacred of the duties of a government [is] to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens." --Thomas Jefferson
    ===Logical Crusader===

    Dail [or Daer] ú-[o] chyn [or fyn/thyn] [?] Ú-danno i failad a thi; an úben tannatha le failad.

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Game Theory and MBTI
    By Merced in forum Typology Videos and RSS Feeds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2016, 07:34 PM
  2. I have a theory on MBTI and moods. Please read
    By DerekEvans01 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 07:02 PM
  3. UniqueMixture's mbti (theory and or type)
    By UniqueMixture in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 12:52 PM
  4. Humoral theory (temperament) and MBTI correlations?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO