• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

N vs. T (amateur question)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is the difference between Intuition and Thinking? How can you distinguish when something is intuition, and not just thinking? I just realized this is a main road block in my understanding of the "functions"; even though it's been sitting in the back of my mind for a while, it only put itself clearly together in my head as a question a moment ago.

Edit: Hold on, it just occurred to me that this topic might have already been discussed. I guess I'll search while you guys think about it. :D

Last edited:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Perception and judging, that's the diff.

You take in info with intuition, and make decisions with t'inkin'.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Oh. Incoming info vs. Outgoing info? Absorption vs. Application? Next is to think of scenarios...

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1

well said. T and F are decision makers whereas N and S are for taking in information, introversion and extroversion are then how those modes are directed and handled (T and F).

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Now, if someone can give nice definitions for the difference between J and P, this will be a perfect little thread.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, there's some really good stuff in this thread dealing with what I'm looking for: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-enneagram-other-personality-matrices/7262-doubting-n.html
About halfway down the first page, Nolla asked the same question I asked in the OP for this thread. Later Edahn responds that "Intuition is of course a thinking process". Now I have to discern which thinking processes are "intuition" and not the "thinking" meant by Te and Ti.

When I have a spare moment, I'm going to have to imagine how intuition works.

Last edited:

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yeah, I don't get Intuition either, as in I don't get what it feels like to be one, and I don't get the snobbery.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
J -> making your decisions in "pen" meaning you typically dont change your decisions
P -> making your decisions in "pencil" meaning you typically make a decision but can go back and change it if need be

thats a quick and very dirty explaination

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
J -> making your decisions in "pen" meaning you typically dont change your decisions
P -> making your decisions in "pencil" meaning you typically make a decision but can go back and change it if need be

thats a quick and very dirty explaination

That's the best one I've ever heard!
Thanks.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
you have 666 posts! creepy.

and thank you for the compliment and your welcome.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, cool. The other thread I linked to on the first page of this thread had some really good discussion on all this.

These seem to be important points:

Obviously, do not think of "intuition" in its common usage. Remember it as an MBTI function. Maybe you don't think it's the best name for it, but they had to call it something. In fact, the same is true about Thinking. It refers to a specific MBTI function, not exactly correlated to the everyday use of the word. So that's the terminology we use.

Keeping this in mind, it bothers me a lot less that N seems to be a mode/aspect of thinking; T is also a mode/aspect of thinking. From there, I guess the best help is to remember that N is perception, whereas T is judgment. The difference between those two is something I can grasp a lot more readily.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
N is a way of perception (that might be the wrong word) and T is a way of decision making. E and I are the direction you do both and J and P are what direct the introversion and extroversion.

EDIT:

Please Understand Me Part II by David Keirsey might help you. At least better than i can at 7 oclock in the morning lol.

redacted

What is the difference between Intuition and Thinking? How can you distinguish when something is intuition, and not just thinking? I just realized this is a main road block in my understanding of the "functions"; even though it's been sitting in the back of my mind for a while, it only put itself clearly together in my head as a question a moment ago.

Edit: Hold on, it just occurred to me that this topic might have already been discussed. I guess I'll search while you guys think about it. :D

Intuition (unconscious) -- stuff like pattern recognition, making connections between things, inductive/inferential leaps, metaphor in general (I've actually defined it as metaphor before)

Thinking (conscious) -- deduction, ends with "true" or "false" -- takes information and checks for consistency (internal for Ti, external for Te)

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
well said. T and F are decision makers whereas N and S are for taking in information, introversion and extroversion are then how those modes are directed and handled (T and F).

If your first mode/function/whatever you call it, is Introverted, is the second one automatically Extroverted and vise versa?

I know this is basic stuff..

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bella, I always refer to these charts. Look near the bottom of the page on this link: Cognitive Processes A little above that is a chart that tries to explain how each "function" works. Still leaves it a little cloudy to me, concerning which processes fall under which "function" use.

People say that we use the top two a lot, the 3rd and 4th sometimes, and bottom half hardly ever (it's our "Mr. Hyde", in a way).

Last edited:

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Bella, I always refer to these charts. Look near the bottom of the page on this link: Cognitive Processes A little above that is a chart that tries to explain how each "function" works. Still leaves it a little cloudy to me, concerning which processes fall under which "function" use.

People say that we use the top two a lot, the 3rd and 4th sometimes, and bottom half hardly ever (it's our "Mr. Hyde", in a way).

Okay, thank you. That was very helpful. I think I stared at it for ten minutes.

wolfy

awsm

I think of intuition as moving laterally with what you perceive and thinking as defining what you perceive.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
My humble definition: A group of people working together towards a goal, with each person having his own assignment.