User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Softserve Ice Cream Agent Washington's Avatar

Wait, is this the cognitive neuroscience guy?

*bats eyelashes*
    There's no love in fear.
    - Tool

Do we want to remind you of something? Yes: the world is good and we belong here.
    - Richard Siken
    Likes Tactical Turtleneck liked this post

Softserve Ice Cream Agent Washington's Avatar

@AncientSpirits
    What do you think about the "shadow functions" and "archetypes? How do they fit into your work in cognitive neuroscience?
    There's no love in fear.
    - Tool

Do we want to remind you of something? Yes: the world is good and we belong here.
    - Richard Siken

Dario, single malt scotch or blended scotch or neither?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by yama View Post
    My questions:

1. What is your spirit animal (you can't say dik dik or shih tzu cuz those are mine and I don't share.)

2. Why do so many people (especially FPs) think Fe is incapable of forming its own opinions and values (hivemind)

3. Do you believe it's possible for some people to be cognitively introverted but socially extroverted and vice versa? (Such as a Te dom that describes themselves as socially introverted, but still leads with Te)

4. Bob Ross. ISFP or ISFJ?

~sincerely yama, member of the year.
    1. Since childhood, I've identified with the mongoose. For those who might not know, it like a meerkat, both members of the cat family. The mongoose has the most sophisticated/dynamic social structure next to humans, even more than chimps and other great apes. The mongoose is also immune to venoms and is a snake killer.

More recently, in a shamanic experience, the wolf spirit came to guide me. And I happily identify, "I am the Wolf".

2. I can't really answer this. I can say, from group dynamics, that every group has its black sheep, its scapegoat, its messiah, its devils advocate, its self righteous, and so forth.

3. Yes.

One is that shyness, social anxiety, social ineptness, etc are not the same as introversion in a function sense. Introversion, in the brain, shows in a number of ways. For example, sensory data is "turned up" and can feel overwhelming. Or sensory data is shunted to the back of the brain--the temporal and parietal areas--for comparison and integration before it's sent to the front of the brain to be acted upon. In contrast, social anxiety etc are limbic responses that make it difficult to function in social situations. Also, a person may lack development of certain brain regions that are key to social success, such as attending to voice tone, body language, and intent, limited ability to experience empathy or sympathy or to figure out social dynamics. There are specific brain regions for all of these. These are skills that can be learned (or not), rather than broad psychological functions.

The other is that Thinking tends to objectify. "People" are an object of study, a resource to assess, move, and get things done, and so forth. As a person develops Thinking, their interest and even skill at interacting with others socially may decrease as their interest goes elsewhere. We see this in the brain. For example, the left temporal-parietal areas help us discern and label what we see in the environment. We have a huge capacity to label. But do we focus more, for example, on car makes and models or people's facial expressions? While the literature suggests that's gender related, I believe it's more likely personality related.

4. I just sort of assumed ISFJ. Never investigated him beyond that. I mean, if Bob were doing doing crazy art styles and such over the years, like cubism and surrealism, and taking us outdoors on inspirational jaunts, and playing pranks on his fellow artists (and fans), then I'd be a little more inclined to say ISFP.
    Likes Peter Deadpan, Yama liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by asynartetic View Post
    Dario, single malt scotch or blended scotch or neither?
    I very rarely drink alcohol. When I do, it's usually a light beer, white wine, soda with bitters and lime, or very rarely, Barbadian rum and coke. I can't even imagine at this moment what scotch tastes like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by agentwashington View Post
    Wait, is this the cognitive neuroscience guy?

*bats eyelashes*
    Yep yep!
    BTW, my background is engineering with some cognitive science. Otherwise, I just say I do neuroscience research with brain imaging. I don't call myself a neuroscientist.

Saw an interesting documentary on Bob Ross. Very unlike his television persona.

MBTI
    INTJ

Dario, Beatles or Stones?

Also,

East Coast Hip Hop or West Coast Gangsta Rap?
    I really couldn't say. To the extent I know them, I like some of each.

In my youth, I loved music from the 20s, the 1720s.
    Later, I got hugely into alternative music. I remember listening to Radiohead's "Paranoid Android" in London (not live, just on a CD, which was how memorable it was!) I was even a roadie for a college band in the 90s! With our nation's strange boy band crazy, my attention turned to EDM. Rap caught my attention in the mid-2000s. Now, I listen to pretty much any kind of music, from country and Christian to rap and reggae to lounge and classic rock, so long as it meets certain criteria:

A. It's nostalgic, or
    B. It has many layers, activates my imagination, and can surprise me emotionally

Having a good beat helps, though I wouldn't describe Sigor Ros as danceable, and those guys meet all the criteria for "B".
    I find sad music uplighting, happy music annoying, and angry music understandable but not necessarily fun. So no sugar pop tunes or death metal, though I do understand why other people can like those.

I might sound like I'm now pretty open, but really I'm incredibly critical. It's possible to listen to music in a very deep way, not technically, but just to sink your whole self into it, to go into the song's situation and get lost in it... and if I can't do that with the music, or it's boring or I'm not in the mood for it that day, then it's not for me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Saw an interesting documentary on Bob Ross. Very unlike his television persona.
    and that's why I advise a lot of caution when typing celebrities... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AncientSpirits View Post
    I really couldn't say. To the extent I know them, I like some of each.

In my youth, I loved music from the 20s, the 1720s.
    Later, I got hugely into alternative music. I remember listening to Radiohead's "Paranoid Android" in London (not live, just on a CD, which was how memorable it was!) I was even a roadie for a college band in the 90s! With our nation's strange boy band crazy, my attention turned to EDM. Rap caught my attention in the mid-2000s. Now, I listen to pretty much any kind of music, from country and Christian to rap and reggae to lounge and classic rock, so long as it meets certain criteria:

A. It's nostalgic, or
    B. It has many layers, activates my imagination, and can surprise me emotionally

Having a good beat helps, though I wouldn't describe Sigor Ros as danceable, and those guys meet all the criteria for "B".
    I find sad music uplighting, happy music annoying, and angry music understandable but not necessarily fun. So no sugar pop tunes or death metal, though I do understand why other people can like those.

I might sound like I'm now pretty open, but really I'm incredibly critical. It's possible to listen to music in a very deep way, not technically, but just to sink your whole self into it, to go into the song's situation and get lost in it... and if I can't do that with the music, or it's boring or I'm not in the mood for it that day, then it's not for me.
    Have you listened to Portishead or Goldfrapp? I would recommend Goldfrapp's first album Felt Mountain if you have a chance to listen to it. Apologies if you're already familiar with either band. Both are good bands if you enjoy atmospheric music that is occasionally unsettling.

Do you enjoy any film score music?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AncientSpirits View Post
    and that's why I advise a lot of caution when typing celebrities... LOL
    Indeed. We're only typing their personas. Which are often carefully crafted for public consumption. I think it's more enjoyable to type fictional characters, personally.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    NiFi
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Dario I have some questions for you.

1. Did you get into philosophy? If so, which philosophers did you agree with/side with more?

2. In my experience and to the best of my knowledge, a lot of people identify themselves as INFJ in online internet communities. Have you had much experience identifying Ni Dominants through your brain scanning processes? I’ve heard from around that Ni doms tend to holistically cover the brain whereas Ne tries various spots in the brain. I mean how true is this?
    For the longest time I’ve identified with INFJ and not too long ago I tried to see if I was an INTJ, (experiencing thoughts on the fly without internalizing causing foot in the mouth issues perhaps through Te), but only then to realize I just needed to let My thoughts complete in my mind.
    I’ve tried to question my Ni dominance out of skepticism so much what people see Ni as. People have even go so far to visually type me as IEI-Ni (yes definitely more than one person). I’ve even gone into pseudo-science and I still end up with intuitive characteristics.
    Did finding yourself to be INTJ shock you? Do you find to be more open/prone to magical or new age ways of thinking?

3. Dogs or cats?

4. Some believe the inferior function can take precedence at an early time where the person can actually be confused what their dominant preference is. (So like late teens / early 20s it starts?) have you had that experience in life with Se? I am right now very tempted into sensing activities than I ever was a teenager/young child. I have an enormous appetite for loud music, being somewhat of cool, nonchalant, I really don’t care what you think, kind of attitude in this point on. While younger me was very much over concerned with who others thought I was. (Obviously this is not just personality alone but after some life experiences and new ways of thinking I kind of embraced this sort of lifestyle) I'm 24 btw.

Did it happen to you though? Did you feel like maybe you should have done something more sensing once you got out of college, did you just resist it? Did it faze you?

5. Do you find comfort in similar types? Or do you seek to extend yourself outside your comfort zone to challenge your ways of thinking?