• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

the 8 cognitive processes in 13 sentences each

iauiugu

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
do these summaries resonate with your understanding? I tried to synthesize various books to look at the first-hand mental experience and behavioral norms associated with the predominance of each cog func. feedback on any of them would be appreciated

Introverted Sensation (Si)
Those with dominant introverted sensation perceive through a vast reservoir of rich sensory details and memory, 'automatically' comparing what's in the present to past experience, noticing any minute concrete differences from precedence. Their memories can be as vivid as their initial experience, becoming valued foundations for processing the present and planning for the future. They have a heightened awareness of their physical constitution, such as their energy or hunger levels. As a consequence, they prefer operating from standards that best keep them comfortable: what is personally familiar, or what has been widely established as a reputable. They are inclined towards what has stood the test of time, such as traditions and customs, social duties and obligations, roles in which working sequentially and from rote make them pillars of their community. Through a commitment to what is known to work, following role models and authorities, and acting carefully to maintain the structures of society, introverted sensors aim to build roots and erect barriers to prevent unforeseeable problems caused by the constant flux of life. In turn, they prefer working slowly and steadily towards their objectives, remaining sensitive to any anomalies that violate what is known. They may become overly cautious and averse to new experiences, holding their desire for security and predictability above making necessary changes in life.

Extroverted Intuition (Ne)
Those with dominant extroverted intuition perceive through the emerging patterns and dynamics, 'instantaneously' connecting the dots of their present context and generating alternative possibilities to what is known. They follow their curiosity and hunches to explore tangents where they may take them, brainstorming spontaneously and impartially without immediate concerns for utility or relevance. As a consequence, they prefer operating from a variety of inputs, particularly what is novel and stimulating, or piques their imagination and humor. They are inclined towards roles that keep them inspired, allowing them to be inventive and operate outside the box. At best, their divergent thinking may converge on original insights that may shift present dynamics or catalyze a change. Extroverted intuitives often become pioneers of new ideas or technology, excited by untapped potentials for innovation. In turn, they are apt to use their enthusiasm and entrepreneurial spirit to promote or champion minority causes that may revolutionize the greater whole. They may become too engrossed in hypotheticals for their own sake, fail to make decisions, complete projects, or stick to commitments, holding their desire for novelty above boring and stifling routines.

Extroverted Sensation (Se)
Those with dominant extroverted sensation are immersed in their perception of their present context. They are stimulated by sights, tastes, sounds, movement, and impactful features surrounding them; tracking where things are moving and heading; noticing subtle changes in the moods and behaviors of others and the motives they suggest. Enjoying the here and now matters most, they take life as it comes, becoming one with their environment.. They value aesthetic harmony for its sensual pleasure, and activities that keep them energized like athletics. They are in tune with their gut reactions and impulses for seizing opportunities, rising to challenges, testing limits, or acting quickly if a crisis presents itself. As a consequence, they often strive to remain current, in sync, and on the pulse of their fields or interest, learning the nuances and mannerisms, and adopting the standard dress and tools. By absorbing such conventions and familiarizing themselves with what is normal and popular, extroverted sensors become skillful improvisers and multi-taskers that can leverage their enculturated knowledge to make a strong impact as an insider. They may become overly impulsive and reckless in their behavior, overindulgent in sensory pleasures, or fail to consider anything that is not concrete or outside the present moment.

Introverted Intuition (Ni)
Those with dominant introverted intuition perceive through a metaperspective that implicates a deeper meaning and essence within received reality. They come to 'know' things by closing off from the external world and receiving flashes of insight, symbols and images that emerge from the unconscious, reconciling disparate viewpoints into a greater whole that is sometimes premonitory in nature. Reality is limited by the perspectives it is approached through, and so introverted intuitives seek hidden angles to transform their perception, and as a consequence themselves. Insights cannot be provoked at will; they require the right conditions or provocative objects to release them from the depths of the psyche. Because big picture, metaphysical understanding comes easy, introverted intuitives are interested in contemplating ultimate questions about life and meaning, often coming to conclusions they struggle articulating, particularly in a matter that resonates with others. They therefore often keep insights to themselves, despite the confidence they may or may not feel in their perceptions. At best, introverted intuitives fill the roles of visionaries that transform society with their vision of what is ultimately true. The may become consumed by worldviews or conspiratorial thinking that disconnect them from others or society, neglecting everyday practical needs and decisions that require quick responses.

Extroverted Thinking (Te)
Those with dominant extroverted thinking operate with control and results in mind, in accordance to evidence-based metrics and criteria that allow them to act decisively and efficiently. They prefer using data that can be objectively measured and quantified for the maintenance and improvement of their tasks and plans. Analyzing the world and locating inconsistencies comes easy to extroverted thinkers, as does setting priorities and creating step-by-step methods to reach concrete goals. They often use linear reasoning, focusing on mechanics and causality, not wanting to waste limited resources and time on whims, speculation, or details. They are likewise concise communicators that focus on the logical consistency of their and others' reasoning to persuade others and reach conclusions. They are often both strategically and tactically skilled; they can quickly recognize the scope of problems and generating quick solutions to solve them, making effective managers and leaders who enjoy rising to challenges, setting courses of action, implementing multi-part plans, and maintaining performance standards for themselves and others. They may become overly controlling of others in their imposition of rules, dismissing any negative feedback or 'distractions' that may ultimately be pertinent, or ignoring complexities in a unilateral search for simplicity.

Introverted Feeling (Fi)
Those with superior introverted feeling make decisions in alignment to their deeply-felt and personal values and conscience. They experience strong reactions concerning what matters to them most and have a strong need for internal harmony and integrity, even when their values aren't fully conscious. Their values are self-evident and absolute, and so they often don't discuss controversial issues, assuming their and others' values wouldn't change or benefit from the exchange. At the same time, they are skilled listeners, highly attuned to subtleties communicated by others, including tone and word choice, noting when others are trying to hide something, or experiencing internal turmoil. They highly value honesty and authenticity, and are willing to defend the desires and beliefs of others when they don't harm or impose on others. They tend to extend this 'to each their own' attitude towards others, preferring to be free to live according to their own beliefs, and expecting the same of and from others. Therefore, introverted feelers prefer interacting with and helping others on a one-on-one basis, operating from the uniqueness of individuals opposed to conforming to a collective value. They may become closed off from things or people they feel violate their sense of right and wrong, or not do enough to articulate or share their values with others, even those they are close to.

Introverted Thinking (Ti)
Those with dominant introverted thinking come to understanding by detaching from the particulars of a given thing and evaluating it in terms of various frameworks and principals he or she has accumulated. They actively classify and categorize the world around them, figuratively or literally taking things apart to understand their components, sometimes applying multiple models at once in order to maximize the accuracy and clarity of their determinations. They have a curiosity for understanding how things work on a deep level, putting great effort into defining things precisely and refining existing models as new data requires it. They strive to bring elegance to their understanding, “maximizing explanatory power with minimum complexity”1 in order to create leverage points of minimal effort for maximum effect. They are compelled to follow any logical inquiry to its conclusions, regardless of their reasoning's discrepancies with conventional values or preconceived criteria of true or false. As a consequence, they are skilled at creating original models for understanding the world and critiquing preexisting ideas for improving their internal consistency. They may not accept things that fail to fit within their models, overextending their ideas beyond their appropriate scope, or fail to consider the concrete consequences of their impersonal ideas.

Extroverted Feeling (Fe)
Those with dominant extroverted feeling tune in to the needs and values of others. They can read the emotional energy of a room or group and adjust their behavior accordingly, coming to decisions to maintain and create social harmony. They are inclined towards considering the needs of others as collectives and in terms of commonly-held values; likewise, they are known for operating from social norms as a foundation for developing amiable interactions, maintaining standards of politeness. At the same time, they are driven to interact with people as individuals and apt to empathize with their perspective, disclosing their own values to prompt others to share theirs, then often taking on others' needs as their own. Extroverted feelers often feel compelled to take on causes or roles to help or defend others, in which they can discuss and cultivate strong social values and networks. As a consequence, they are skilled at generating a sense of oneness and intimacy with others or among groups, producing a congeniality that makes them great hosts and facilitators, or safety that allows for vulnerability and the resolution of conflict. Their desire to help may become excessively imposing, crossing personal boundaries or forcing superficial values and norms on others. Alternatively, they may sacrifice their needs for others and become dependent on others' affirmation.

iauiugu

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
btw to write these I worked from:

• Building Blocks of Personality Type by Leona Hass and Mark Hunziker
  • Gary Hartzler and Margaret Hartzler's Functions of Type
  • Dario Nardi's 8 Keys to Self-Leadership

all great resources

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
You wrote this? Nice. I resonate most with Ne and Fi, which is affirming to me since I constantly doubt my self-typing. Ti doesn't even compute for me, which is also affirming (PoLR Ti). I relate to Te, and slightly to Si but it feels fuzzy. I relate to elements of Se and Ni, but not so much on a broad scale, and Se stuff is pretty superficially practiced for me so I'm not sure if it counts or not. I still don't understand how Ni actually works for Ni dominants. Like... do you just go home and sit quietly and you look at a... I dunno, let's say a globe, and suddenly you just have an insight into something unrelated, like the relationship between greed and poverty? I only have "aha" moments about myself or people I know, and it more or less has to do with their internal world and how, say, X event influenced Y behavior, and that's why they struggle with Z (I hope that makes sense). My insights are into the deeper workings of others and how honest they are being with themselves and others. I can see others defects and struggles very easily, but I am usually fairly understanding and accepting of it and actually think it's part of what makes us beautiful, unless of course it's tunnel-visioned and selfish and regularly negatively impacts others and that individual just doesn't care.

iauiugu

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
You wrote this? Nice. I resonate most with Ne and Fi, which is affirming to me since I constantly doubt my self-typing.

Ye I wrote it but there isn't a word or line I can't (with some time) relocate in one of the three sources I referenced. But thanks I'm glad it fits with your self-perception!

I still don't understand how Ni actually works for Ni dominants. Like... do you just go home and sit quietly and you look at a... I dunno, let's say a globe, and suddenly you just have an insight into something unrelated, like the relationship between greed and poverty? I only have "aha" moments about myself or people I know, and it more or less has to do with their internal world and how, say, X event influenced Y behavior, and that's why they struggle with Z (I hope that makes sense). My insights are into the deeper workings of others and how honest they are being with themselves and others. I can see others defects and struggles very easily, but I am usually fairly understanding and accepting of it and actually think it's part of what makes us beautiful, unless of course it's tunnel-visioned and selfish and regularly negatively impacts others and that individual just doesn't care.

Maybe a globe would make me think how the political lines drawn on it are so arbitrary and how certain areas have been gifted more wealth and the like than others, and to contemplate the discrepancy between the globe's embodiment of our unity as a 'pale blue dot' compared to the privileging of these boundaries that make less and less sense as we become more functionally interconnected... so yeah. Just being on a roof at Rice University smoking with new friends made me realize how Houston like other metropoles are centers of power and industry in a manner than could be functionally more powerful than nation as we understand them... stuff like that. Singular, moving, but not flawless insights

My insights are into the deeper workings of others and how honest they are being with themselves and others. I can see others defects and struggles very easily, but I am usually fairly understanding and accepting of it and actually think it's part of what makes us beautiful, unless of course it's tunnel-visioned and selfish and regularly negatively impacts others and that individual just doesn't care.

Sounds Fi-ish to me; I find it hard to keep the struggles of others in mind, even if I am intimately familiar with them, when they act in ways that upset my sense of harmony derived from our interaction and the negativity they are putting into the environment (Fe obvs). It takes conscious effort, and even then I can hit a threshold when I might want to be able to help/deal but my ideation doesn't allow for it. And then I feel worse