123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Adam Grant's Criticism of MBTI

Does anyone find this guy's argument to be seriously lacking in depth of insight?

Goodbye to MBTI, the Fad That Won’t Die | Psychology Today

1. Reliability - his statistics don't seem to match up with what myersbriggs.org publishes and it would appear they have a fairly large data set that they are basing their numbers on. http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-p...ity.htm?bhcp=1

2. Application - his paragraph contains basic and fundamental flaws. "A test is valid if it predicts outcomes that matter. If we’re going to use it in organizations, it should shed light on how well I’ll perform in a particular job or with a certain group of people. Although there are data suggesting that different occupations attract people of different types, there is no convincing body of evidence that types affect job performance or team effectiveness. As management researchers William Gardner and Mark Martinko write in a comprehensive review, “Few consistent relationships between type and managerial effectiveness have been found.”

Who ever said type predicts job performance? These statements alone show a remarkable lack of knowledge about the instrument he is criticizing.

3. Categories and Mutual Exclusivity - "in the MBTI, thinking and feeling are opposite poles of a continuum. In reality, they’re independent: we have three decades of evidence that if you like ideas and data, you can also like people and emotions."

Again, shows a remarkable lack of understanding on the instrument - linking a preference for feeling to liking people and emotions.

I mean, I could go on but this guy just seems incredibly stupid. And he's got a doctorate? Don't they teach you how to do research when you do something like that? He's a professor at Wharton? If a student wrote something so poorly researched, I believe they would deserve a D or an F. Or is his integrity so low that he's just looking for clickbait in an attempt to become popular?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes SearchingforPeace, Xann liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I dunno man... how scientific is MBTI, honestly?

I'm sure you have dove in much deeper than I, but I have read quite a bit of criticism.
    It doesn't seem to be the most reliable typing system.
    Is it even testable???
    Perpetual mood

“Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”

- look it up yourself

Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I dunno man... how scientific is MBTI, honestly?

I'm sure you have dove in much deeper than I, but I have read quite a bit of criticism.
    It doesn't seem to be the most reliable typing system.
    Is it even testable???
    History Reliability and Validity of the Myers-Briggs | CPP

"The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment is the best-known and most trusted personality assessment tool available today. As many as 1.5 million assessments are administered annually to individuals, including to employees of most Fortune 500 companies.

Form M, first published in 1998, is the standard form for identifying an individual’s four-letter type. Based on results from a broad, nationally representative sample of 3,009 people, each of the four preference scales has internal consistency reliability of .90 or greater. Form Q, first published in 2001, identifies an individual’s four-letter type and produces a more detailed representation of individual differences within type by reporting 20 facets. Based on results from a nationally representative sample of 1,378 people, median internal consistency of the 20 facets is .77."

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    History Reliability and Validity of the Myers-Briggs | CPP

"The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment is the best-known and most trusted personality assessment tool available today. As many as 1.5 million assessments are administered annually to individuals, including to employees of most Fortune 500 companies.

Form M, first published in 1998, is the standard form for identifying an individual’s four-letter type. Based on results from a broad, nationally representative sample of 3,009 people, each of the four preference scales has internal consistency reliability of .90 or greater. Form Q, first published in 2001, identifies an individual’s four-letter type and produces a more detailed representation of individual differences within type by reporting 20 facets. Based on results from a nationally representative sample of 1,378 people, median internal consistency of the 20 facets is .77."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Yeah like maybe it should have been invented by a guy who is a doctorate and teaches at Wharton

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Yeah like maybe it should have been invented by a guy who is a doctorate and teaches at Wharton
    MBTI isn't that useful to me. Hasn't been for years. It's too wishy washy and doesn't really serve much utility other than a self-reflection springboard.

I value enneagram much more. That theory has more utility, is much less wishy washy, and better defined.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

There isn't a good way to measure though. There isn't consensus on dichotemy vs function. There isn't even consensus on preference, as in an ISTP could be TSPI, for example.

There is just... so much criticism. I'm on the fence for MBTI. I prefer other systems, but am still interested in MBTI nonetheless because it's a part of the bigger picture.
    Perpetual mood

“Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”

- look it up yourself

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Adam Grant's blog post is the kind of poorly-informed, straw-manny MBTI "debunking" that turns up with disappointing regularity, and often in sources that ought to have higher standards.

A later "debunking" by Joseph Stromberg at the Vox website — which quotes Adam Grant and makes a lot of the same points — is pretty thoroughly rebutted (if I do say so myself) in this post and the post that follows it.

Anyone interested in the "official response" to Grant from the MBTI folks can find it here — although I'd note that there's actually considerably more foolishness in Grant's post than their response covers. And here's a harsher (and well deserved) smackdown: Why Adam Grant's Critique of the MBTI Is Useless.

A-a-and as poor as Grant's critique is, that Adam Conover video Hard linked to manages to demonstrate even lower standards.
    Likes highlander, SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Most of, if any MBTI criticism I see is directly towards the dichotomy tests themselves, most popularly the one on 16personalities. I just ignore all the 'debunking' videos nowadays because they rarely touch upon functions. The people who write or film these assessments usually just take the test once or twice and decide that since the result wasn't accurate or they feel boxed in (???), the whole system is flawed. If you aren't taking the time to research whatever you're criticizing, I'm going to ignore you and view you as ignorant. And it's not like any of these people are actually angry about MBTI, they're just creating controversial titles to bag money off of the very trend they are insulting. Show me an MBTI criticism video by someone educated on the cognitive functions and I'll sit down to listen.