Guardian of Ga'Hoole Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I think the whole thing about Big 5 being better is typical academia criticizing things without a real solution. MBTI works. There is a lot of useful information about it. Same thing for enneagram. Big 5 is an outlier - however popular it may be amongst academia. There is little of value that is published about it that I can actually use as a normal everyday person. I can use MBTI and Enneagram. There is a ton of literature that helps me to interpret things and evaluate meaning.
    Well, the thing that strikes me is that Big Five is actually very similar to MBTI except it has one extra dichotomy. So, how can MBTI be completely worthless, but Big Five isn't?
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Likes highlander liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    Well, the thing that strikes me is that Big Five is actually very similar to MBTI except it has one extra dichotomy. So, how can MBTI be completely worthless, but Big Five isn't?
    I would turn it around and ask why is Big 5worthless?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    There isn't a good way to measure though. There isn't consensus on dichotemy vs function. There isn't even consensus on preference, as in an ISTP could be TSPI, for example.

There is just... so much criticism. I'm on the fence for MBTI. I prefer other systems, but am still interested in MBTI nonetheless because it's a part of the bigger picture.
    The criticism is only of value to the extent that it is valid and useful What's wrong with the system based on your experience?

I think some of your uncertainty is based on your own lack of clarity about your own personality type. Let me ask a question. I've provided some some thoughts as you know. What's the observation? What do YOU think?

I told you what I thought your type was. You could be some thing different though. INTP for example. You need to decide whatever it is.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

phallus impudicus

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The criticism is only of value to the extent that it is valid and useful What's wrong with the system based on your experience?

I think some of your uncertainty is based on your own lack of clarity about your own personality type. Let me ask a question. I've provided some some thoughts as you know. What's the observation? What do YOU think?

I told you what I thought your type was. You could be some thing different though. INTP for example. You need to decide whatever it is.
    While your points aren't completely invalid, that wasn't really what I was getting at. This isn't about my type at all, it is about what I have read regarding criticism of MBTI.

You seem irritated, perhaps I am misreading your tone though.
    Likes highlander liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    While your points aren't completely invalid, that wasn't really what I was getting at. This isn't about my type at all, it is about what I have read regarding criticism of MBTI.

You seem irritated, perhaps I am misreading your tone though.
    I am mixing those things up. I think you are an INFP or INTP.

Anyway, the rest of it is pure conjecture I suppose.

Tri-type 639
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post