• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] Adam Grant's Criticism of MBTI

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think the whole thing about Big 5 being better is typical academia criticizing things without a real solution. MBTI works. There is a lot of useful information about it. Same thing for enneagram. Big 5 is an outlier - however popular it may be amongst academia. There is little of value that is published about it that I can actually use as a normal everyday person. I can use MBTI and Enneagram. There is a ton of literature that helps me to interpret things and evaluate meaning.

Well, the thing that strikes me is that Big Five is actually very similar to MBTI except it has one extra dichotomy. So, how can MBTI be completely worthless, but Big Five isn't?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, the thing that strikes me is that Big Five is actually very similar to MBTI except it has one extra dichotomy. So, how can MBTI be completely worthless, but Big Five isn't?

I would turn it around and ask why is Big 5worthless?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There isn't a good way to measure though. There isn't consensus on dichotemy vs function. There isn't even consensus on preference, as in an ISTP could be TSPI, for example.

There is just... so much criticism. I'm on the fence for MBTI. I prefer other systems, but am still interested in MBTI nonetheless because it's a part of the bigger picture.

The criticism is only of value to the extent that it is valid and useful What's wrong with the system based on your experience?

I think some of your uncertainty is based on your own lack of clarity about your own personality type. Let me ask a question. I've provided some some thoughts as you know. What's the observation? What do YOU think?

I told you what I thought your type was. You could be some thing different though. INTP for example. You need to decide whatever it is.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
The criticism is only of value to the extent that it is valid and useful What's wrong with the system based on your experience?

I think some of your uncertainty is based on your own lack of clarity about your own personality type. Let me ask a question. I've provided some some thoughts as you know. What's the observation? What do YOU think?

I told you what I thought your type was. You could be some thing different though. INTP for example. You need to decide whatever it is.

While your points aren't completely invalid, that wasn't really what I was getting at. This isn't about my type at all, it is about what I have read regarding criticism of MBTI.

You seem irritated, perhaps I am misreading your tone though.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While your points aren't completely invalid, that wasn't really what I was getting at. This isn't about my type at all, it is about what I have read regarding criticism of MBTI.

You seem irritated, perhaps I am misreading your tone though.

I am mixing those things up. I think you are an INFP or INTP.

Anyway, the rest of it is pure conjecture I suppose.