• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Web Link: MBTI and Christianity?

Usehername

On a mission
I once found a web link about MBTI characteristics and spiritual gifts, etc.

Does anyone know where there is a good resource on this? I know I found one once; I haven't been able to do it lately.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I searched a bit and found some associated sites -- but none of them were very convincing, which begged the question of whether a temperament code can be plugged into Scripture.

Why don't you try extrapolating potential gifts from your personality and talents, if you believe conceptualization is absolutely necessary; and then apply them to the specific needs of your church? A number of the contributions I make to my own church correspond with neither my temperament nor particular strong suits.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My Personality Info offers tests for MBTI *and* for spiritual gifts, as well as something else as well. It doesn't really go into much description, but you can see all of your scores on the same page and perhaps note some patterns.

The conventional lists in the Bible's NT do correlate a bit to MBTI types... but nothing clear cut. Teachers generally end up being T's; prophets end up being FJ's; pastoral gifts (not the genetic -- the GIFT description, which is about protecting and nurturing a flock) tend to be EF or EP; and such.

But really, I know one INTP who has a bizarre Compassion gift component to his personality... and similar things. It is just not very clear-cut.

--

Update: Sorry about the link, I just went there and saw that the Spiritual Gift test has seemingly been taken down, for whatever reason.

Usehername

On a mission
thanks for the replies

The specific site I was looking for had things like NJ as the "pastor" trait... it had every combination and just had a lot of ideas i wanted to ruminate about.

meh. i don't think the two HIGHLY correlate, but i wanted to kinda create my own version in my head.

thanks.

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My friend sent me a link to this site, but there's only 7 types and they kinda overlap the MBTI types. I'm the contemplator type, and I definitely have the teaching gift and the need for quality time and personal space.

FRN Inc: The KLLP

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My Personality Info offers tests for MBTI *and* for spiritual gifts, as well as something else as well. It doesn't really go into much description, but you can see all of your scores on the same page and perhaps note some patterns.

The conventional lists in the Bible's NT do correlate a bit to MBTI types... but nothing clear cut. Teachers generally end up being T's; prophets end up being FJ's; pastoral gifts (not the genetic -- the GIFT description, which is about protecting and nurturing a flock) tend to be EF or EP; and such.

But really, I know one INTP who has a bizarre Compassion gift component to his personality... and similar things. It is just not very clear-cut.

--

Update: Sorry about the link, I just went there and saw that the Spiritual Gift test has seemingly been taken down, for whatever reason.

I had an account there. The site was so well put together, but unfortunately, it was an evangelical haven. There was a strong Judeo-Christian bias at that site.

I posted my MBTI, Zodiac, and Enneagram correlations on that site, too. And due to the moderator's religious beliefs, the forum was locked. And after complaints against it, the entire forum community was disbanded.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had an account there. The site was so well put together, but unfortunately, it was an evangelical haven. There was a strong Judeo-Christian bias at that site.

I posted my MBTI, Zodiac, and Enneagram correlations on that site, too. And due to the moderator's religious beliefs, the forum was locked. And after complaints against it, the entire forum community was disbanded.

Is that what happened?

The owner came here (I think -- or was it to INTPc?) and participated for a bit, just to drum up activity for his site.

I thought the page design was very clean and easy to use.

I didn't mind the Spiritual Gifts thing... but I just see most of the gift tests as rather silly. The examples given by Paul and others were merely examples of gifts that he was throwing out on the fly, to make an argument; but for some reason people comb through and pull them out as if they are the actual ordained categories, exclusive ones, and then try to jam their experience into those molds. People made rules out of them.

I always use to laugh when on some tests I could say, "Wow, my Compassion score is terrible, but my Martyrdom score rocks!"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone recommended this book to me, "Soul Types" by Sandra Krebs Hirsh. I haven't read it but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Yes, I have that one and recommend it. It very much considers religious faith for each of the 16 MBTI temperaments, the strengths and weaknesses of each type, the pitfalls, etc., and it gives a very healthy assortment of personal anecdotes from people representative of each type, as well as possibilities for "stretching oneself" -- I found that level of personalization very useful in tying theory to reality.

It's not a sparse book either. It's written on a lay person's level, but it definitely puts some effort into the coverage -- not one of those cheap-o 100-page overview books.