• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the best way to type people?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I personally think a fluid interview is the best way to type someone, especially if in person or over the phone. Not to be confused with a free response questionnaire, which I think is good but not good enough.

What are your thoughts? Are you pro test? Can you preach for vibes?

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Personally, I combine my gut with some logic and observation of how that person behaves and/or what motivates their behaviour. Sometimes I have a intuitive grip that is correct about the person I am observing.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thought process, how they present content.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Dom and inferior functions are pretty much inescapable, I think.

I look at Dom and Tert most of the time.

I think vibe is a shitty way to type people, as is looking at eyes, etc., because it's... hmm... There's a lot of other psychiatric conditions that may affect, uh, affect. You can't tell what type I am because I'm deadpan most of the time when I don't know the person I'm talking to. Unless I somehow have the spoons to put on the "game face", then I probably feel like an Fe user.

Talking complicates things because of mimic affecting the judgment regarding thought processes, but it's easier when the process of thinking is clear.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Id say overall the best way to type is to use your gut to guide you to a degree like looking at the overall archetypes this person shows like looking at patterns of what each type acts and thinks like like for instance I can type one off the bat as a tritype 794 by that general magical and upbeat yet deeply feeling air they tend to give off and then look deeper to see if they fit the core fears for each of those three types. My gut is usually right on at least two of the three types in their tri from my experience but I am pretty well versed so take that with a grain of salt. As for instinctual stackings I go by how they interact with others and how they relate to the environment around them. Like if I see someone who is very social and wants to get to know everyone yet has a odd distance from it all they tend to be So/Sp for instance.

For MBTI/Soconics I look for functions they demonstrate and then piece together what place it seems to be in their stacking.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I personally think a fluid interview is the best way to type someone, especially if in person or over the phone. Not to be confused with a free response questionnaire, which I think is good but not good enough. What are your thoughts? Are you pro test? Can you preach for vibes?
Aside from them taking a test I think the best way is by asking questions and observing their thought processes which comes across through their words. Also I do think There is something to this visual typing thing but I'm not as certain about that. Need to read that book

Atomic Fiend

Different strokes for different folks, some people might find different methods optimal for thems, I don't believe there is one superior way. There might be for a person or subset of peoples, but I don't think everyone even comprehends type the same way.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
WXosXSv.gif
and face typing.

rav3n

Tests appear to ballpark. From there, my preference is to watch for patterns of focus.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
So many variables. I think typing others takes time and they must be relatively mentally stable. There are a lot of factors/type combinations that can complicate things. I think the Fauvres said that 20% of people are difficult to type for that reason. Someone else who also does professional typing said that they won't type someone with less than 2 hours of in-person or live streamed communication because of the ego influence.

I consider myself to be one of the difficult ones to type for various reasons.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
by throwing typology in the Garbage Canâ„¢ instead

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Watching people over a long period of time is the way I do it. Some people are very difficult to type, and I find introverts are harder to nail down than extroverts. It just can click at a random moment though. I could not figure out my dad’s type and then ISTP hit me like a giant figurative brick.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I gather evidence while hanging around the person. If you're especially annoying to me then you're the 6w7 type.

Leave $500 in unmarked bills in a cooler behind the deli on Main St. and I’ll be glad to tell you.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Know your theory

Gather experience

And observe the individual

If the tells exist, they will present themselves

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By not typing them at all.:hug:

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Thought process, how they present content.

In a nutshell, that’s how I do it too. I’ll ask questions to seek out the answers I need, and those questions may seem off the wall at times but if they do, it’s because I’ve made sense of the functions and types in my own way.