• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the best way to type people?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Leave $500 in unmarked bills in a cooler behind the deli on Main St. and I’ll be glad to tell you.

Somehow I’ve gathered what you just said to mean you sell organs on the black market...:mellow: Ya, I don’t understand me either at times :D

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I personally think a fluid interview is the best way to type someone, especially if in person or over the phone. Not to be confused with a free response questionnaire, which I think is good but not good enough.

What are your thoughts? Are you pro test? Can you preach for vibes?

Well MBTI started out as 150 questions, then with a follow up interview to see how accurate the 150 questions test was. Then Keirsey copy/pasted the functions and introduced temperaments that he identified with Hippocrates' temperaments. But some says there is no correlation and he simply declared it so. Then Keirsey tried to distance himself from MBTI, and his set of questions were lowered to 75'ish and says his system is completely different from MBTI... lol.

So if you want to type someone in person without questions, then I would suggest Socionics. Socionics, have made some mistakes, but haven't made the same mistakes that MBTI did when interpreting Jung, even though Jung's early system wasn't objective to begin with, neither is MBTI. I mean really, in MBTI there is ESFJ and ISFP called "dumb and dumberer". Such favouritism and non-objective fluff only exists in that system. Socionics is neutral, objective and meant to type people without 150 questions and interview. Meyers herself also tried typing people as N, because of their "perceived" intelligence, but they were never a N... anyway.

I'll leave it at that.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had a shortened version of the test at one point and just say to a group of people that I had this cool personality test and get them to take it.

Somehow I’ve gathered what you just said to mean you sell organs on the black market...:mellow: Ya, I don’t understand me either at times :D
I’m a con man, not a black market kidney thief! The cooler is to protect the money from the elements. Idk Dreamer. I think under that sunshiny exterior is a black thundercloud churning and flashing with blue white lightning. You can’t fool me.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think the average generic questionaires are helpful. You need to see people in their natural element and analyze them. It is too easy to force something in a question. Overall I guess my stragedy is vibes and studying them based on their natural choice of action or words.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Personally, I like to place my hands on the home row keys asdf jkl;

On my phone, typing people is a bit more difficult

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
First off, if you know that they have a mental or educational disorder, try to exclude that from typing. Common mistakes include people with Aspergers or OCD typed as STJs and people with ADHD or ADD as SPs.
Then, try to learn about how different dominant functions work. Isolating the dominant function first will significantly narrow down possibilities, and it will also be easier to know what to look for. It's usually easier to do this with friends that you spend time out of work/school with, but if you aren't good friends with them, try to observe them with other colleagues, friends, or family. Remember, if their dominant is an introverted function, then they are introverted and will likely enjoy keeping to themselves and having alone time, and vise versa.
Once you have found their dominant function, try looking for their auxiliary, or what they use to back up their dominant. Try to learn about the key differences between the two types with the same dominant.

Another tip is to look out for their tertiary function. From an outside view, their tertiary function might seem like the most prominent thing about them, but also try to look deeper beyond behavior and into motivations. For example, I look like an ISTJ because I am very organized and structured from an outside perspective and I am very serious and no-nonsense, but everything that I do is guided by my personal feelings and beliefs, and I tend to snap when something personally offends or upsets me. In contrast, my ESTJ sister loves to tinker and toy with things and create science experiments in the kitchen and bathroom. However, her love of control and natural leadership abilities, as well as a concrete look at life set her apart from an Ne-dom.

Just a few things to consider.

noombie

MBTI Type
INFJ
Going to emend my previous post:

(Optionally skip to 4 for complete guide)
Here are 3 simple questions you can ask others/yourself to discern many cases of T vs F types.

1. "In middle school, did you bully people or were you bullied?"

A common agreement of the functional stack is its chronological development.
Fe & Fi in the first 2 positions (Dom & Aux) will be uncomfortable with harming others, especially in nascent development.

2. "Were you susceptible to crying a lot?"

Similar to 1.- especially in early stages of life:
Discomfort applied to your values (Fi),
or applied to others you empathize with (Fe)
will many times cause enough internal friction to make a youth cry.

3. Ask intuitives, "Do you think my energy is warm, or cold?" (the majority's answer will point you to the answer)

I'm employing two axioms here:
i) Intuition can translate patterns into metaphysical conclusions
ii) Mass intelligence points at closer models of the truth

4. Final option: Utilize others to get your type
Use their latent ability of perception to derive your Aux (2nd) & Dom (1st) functions

4.1 For Auxiliary:
Ask an preferably MBTI knowledgable INxJ/ENxP (Ni-dom/Ne-dom) for a Big-Picture essence of your psyche [in one line/one cognitive function].
(This should yield your aux-function. It's very easy for them to do)
E.g.
ISFJ/INFJ- wants to help/consider the world (Fe)
INFP/INTP- wants to learn/put together intrinsic patterns (Ne)
ENFP/ESFP- wants to morally judge (Fi)
ISFP/ISTP- wants to experience life/things (Se)
ENTJ/ENFJ- wants to apply visions (Ni)
ESFJ/ESTJ- wants to protect the status quo (Si)
INTJ/ISTJ- wants to systematize the world (Te)
ENTP/ESTP- wants to explain the world (Ti)

4.2 For Dominant
Ask Se/Si-Doms for a similar exercise
(Dom functions show in how people actually treat/carry-out their everyday extrinsically)

Source:
An exhausted MBTI freak who considers himself decent at typing people.
Arrogant enough to consider writing/publishing a booklet on MBTI.
Take truth with a can of Mortons.

Comment:
Even on a good day, it could still take me upto ~30 min to confidently type a stranger.
The reason for this is usually all the crap they have in self-analysis- they confuse themselves of their own type.

P.S. for the hard workers
My time with MBTI has lead me to personally utilize 64-types (4 sub types each- I call them "expressions" for each-of-16)
hint: I don't use tertiary & inferior
E.g. I consider Carl Jung an INFJ with Ti-Expression (INFJ-Ti). Where an Expression is 'how' they prefer to express their Dom & Aux.
- hopefully somebody gets it and writes my booklet for me. You can get the cash, idrc. I just want a better model implemented to help others

P.S.S for the lazy
catch-22 is that 16 is plenty for 90% of use case scenarios. 10% is a contestable percentage of the audience.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Bumping this thread for the hell of it.

A lot of people said tests. What tests are good and what tests are bad?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bumping this thread for the hell of it.

A lot of people said tests. What tests are good and what tests are bad?

Step II MBTI test is good. I think the Typology Central Test is pretty good (now). Best Enneagram test is Enneagram Explorations. I published what I thought were the best ones on the forum home page.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i prefer prolonged periods of observation (aka getting to know someone), followed by a test, and if it isn't apparent yet, some follow up questions...

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Best as in most accurate, or best as in most useful? I care more about the utility than the right answer; and so I go by vibe/reference.

"This person reminds me of x and y, who both seem like ISTJs, and.."

If it's wrong as a typing, it doesn't really matter because it's served its purpose as far as helping make baseline predictions.

Enneagram
9w1
Tests give me every introverted type, but is more likely to type me P than J, T than F, and N/S are kinda odd since I end up answering in the middle of both, but N I guess. My last few tested types were INTP, ISTP, INTP, ISTJ, and ENTP

So I'm not sure they should be trusted beyond repeatable results such as "Types amost always Introverted in tests, so is an Introvert", and leave the rest to you and others to decipher by comparison with people of similar types

"Most people would make me feel like a dreamy stoner when compared to their Se, but most people would make me feel like a grounded and generally uninspired person too unlike Ne users." - this is how I try to understand myself, by comparison