• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Temperaments] MBTI Learning Styles

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I came across these videos on MBTI learning styles. I listened to the INTJ one and it mostly seemed to resonate with me except the part about not liking multiple choice (I think I inherently like them because I'm lazy and it's fast). Do you agree with the things in these videos for your type? How do you think this might be useful to teachers and students? I'm wondering how you would practically implement different styles for all these different types.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's not a video of my type but here are some things I like:

Some structure, well more so than other types, but not so structured that I have no ability to guide my studying.

I also like to have tome to reflect. In AP classes you did timed essays, but I think I needed to write a few longer, non timed essays in order to perfect the craft and even to understand what we're even supposed to do. This is why I like college English better than HS English.

I like lectures, but idk if this is a type thing, I think more personal preference.

I definitely want to be able to apply the things we learn to real life.

For humanities, I like discussions, but I do better online cause I'm an introvert I think.

No group projects. Ew.

I think just the fact that different students learn differently can help teachers keep in mind that they should use different styles of learning throughout the year. I don't think laws or polices would help, but I'm still a student myself so take that with a grain of salt. It's better for students to be aware of how they learn best, and make the best of what their teacher has given them.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Concerning the INFP video, I agree with what they said more or less. I am constantly questioning whether or not what I'm doing is the right or correct way, probably a good mix of both Fi and Si. Si can make this rather meticulous when it comes to projects or actual work because I can get stuck in an inflexible loop, devoid of Ne creativity because I'm so focused on the Si right way. Si and Te also make instructions very favorable to me, I love being told exactly what to do and how to do it. I think I stimulate Si and Te more in professional settings.

I wouldn't say I want to solve all the problems in the world, at least literally. I spend little time pondering humanity's problems as a whole and have a more 'live and let live' attitude towards such, but speaking theoretically, I can take on a lot more than I can chew when striving towards a certain goal and overestimate how much I can handle.

I do love theory surrounding humanity and am attracted to teachers who engage my emotional or philosophical side, but I also approach philosophy far more concretely than an Ni/Se user might. I would consider myself a flexible learner. In fact, I used to sleep in class because I would get so bored with my teachers explaining the same thing over and over again in different ways. I even came up with a plan to listen to the first five minutes of the lecture, fall asleep and be prepared for any questions the teacher might throw at me later on. That flexibility had it's flaws, the worst being laziness.

I am definitely an independent learner. I don't have a problem with being a team player, but I can get easily annoyed with having to dance to other's tunes. I've had a few people discredit me for my ideas or projects and it has deeply offended me each time.

The video was decently spot on. It doesn't really flesh out the functions and their role in these learning languages too deeply, but what can you expect when they have to make fifteen other videos? I liked it.

á´…eparted

passages
I suspect the ENFJ one would say foster collaborative work. Fuck that shit. I learn as independently as I can.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's not a video of my type but here are some things I like:

Some structure, well more so than other types, but not so structured that I have no ability to guide my studying.

I also like to have tome to reflect. In AP classes you did timed essays, but I think I needed to write a few longer, non timed essays in order to perfect the craft and even to understand what we're even supposed to do. This is why I like college English better than HS English.

I like lectures, but idk if this is a type thing, I think more personal preference.

I definitely want to be able to apply the things we learn to real life.

For humanities, I like discussions, but I do better online cause I'm an introvert I think.

No group projects. Ew.

I think just the fact that different students learn differently can help teachers keep in mind that they should use different styles of learning throughout the year. I don't think laws or polices would help, but I'm still a student myself so take that with a grain of salt. It's better for students to be aware of how they learn best, and make the best of what their teacher has given them.

I matched for me. The whole part about being an independent learner, love of learning, wanting some structure to it, doing things on my own resonated. Analogies are very useful as is are things that are visual. I want to get into the details and want to understand the overall concepts with a focus on what's practical.

Here is the ISTJ video. Does it match your learning style? I would think ISTJs and INTJs have a lot of similarities.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In fact, I used to sleep in class because I would get so bored with my teachers explaining the same thing over and over again in different ways. I even came up with a plan to listen to the first five minutes of the lecture, fall asleep and be prepared for any questions the teacher might throw at me later on. That flexibility had it's flaws, the worst being laziness.

In high school, I used to sleep all the time :laugh:. I never got enough sleep. The girls sitting by me would tend to help me if the teacher called on me by repeating the question :blush:

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I didn't watch the video because I don't wanna pause the video I'm currently watching cuz I'm a ho (lol) but based on the bullet points in the thumbnail for the ESFJ one I'd say it's good enough for me. I'm very very much a kinesthetic learner. I need to DO the thing to learn it. Show me, and then have me do it myself. Let me ask as many questions as I need to, and let me take my time. I do NOT respond well to negative reinforcement; positive reinforcement only works for me. Also, I don't care about engaging my emotions in learning, but I do find it helps me learn a lot to make connections to something else. For example, I work in a laboratory making media to culture food samples in to test them for diseases, and the way I remember how to make DemiFras is because whenever I make it I think of [MENTION=1545]Atomic Fiend[/MENTION] because his previous username was Digital Demi Fiend.

Also also learn extremely well from repeated exposure. Make me do something every day, and I'll memorize it. I don't even have to bother looking up how many grams or dehydrated powder to mix with water to make a full batch of 78 liters of BAX anymore. It's 1800. I've made it so much I don't need the cookbook anymore.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do love theory surrounding humanity and am attracted to teachers who engage my emotional or philosophical side, but I also approach philosophy far more concretely than an Ni/Se user might.

I find this bit interesting for some reason. What do you mean by "concretely" here?

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find this bit interesting for some reason. What do you mean by "concretely" here?

In my experience, Ni users approach philosophy simply as philosophy. They're satisfied with the vague answers given, probably because they can make better sense of them, while I'm always trying to connect it to something more literal. I can easily get annoyed when talking to Ni users about philosophy for this reason. I want to connect philosophy to things that have already been done, what people experience, and make it easier to grasp for others. Ni users also seem to be uncomfortable with talking about philosophy with me because they'll say something really powerful and I'll just sit there with a deadpan face. I don't care for one powerful sentence, I want to understand what that sentence means. Maybe they do understand in a concrete sense, but they can't or don't want to articulate it.

Metis

I also appreciated something she said at the end of this video:

"Under great stress, the ENTPs are very overwhelmed by details, and they're going to lose an ability to generate possibilities. They're gonna focus on minor things, thinking that it is extremely important."

I'm comparing these with the INTP Learning Styles video in the OP, because I come across to others (irl at least) as an INTP. The classes I've learned best in have been classes that:

1. had a minimum of supervision, but the instructor was knowledgable and available
  2. had variety
  3. had tangible and RELEVANT interaction with the relevant objects (example: RIGHT-analyzing rocks in a geology class; WRONG-making a powerpoint presentation about [fill in the blank-unless the point of the lesson is actually to learn to make powerpoint presentations, in which case, it's relevant after all])
  4. allowed you to finish the required material at your own pace (DONE! Have a great Second Day of Class, teacher!) and didn't treat you like you were some kind of asshole (or worse, some kind of cheater) for demolishing their expectations, but actually cheered for you if and when you did
Those are features of the classes I remember best as having made a good impact on me. Not all of those features go together in every good or great class. The last one is actually best for classes that would otherwise be pedantic.