• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is intuition often understood as basically having a brain?

JihadiJohn

Permabanned
I swear, people take the most general things ever as evidence that they're intuitive. If you're creative, intelligent or simply think for yourself people will type themselves and others as intuitive, everyone else is a sensor. Basically the same rule with enneagram 6, why?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Because they have a poor understanding of typology and are special snowflakes

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They might feel like they don't fit in with whatever their context, and think they may have found a reason. Except it's not actually correct. We can see only the full depth of our own mind and not others', so it's a common young mistake to make to think yours is deeper than everyone else's for a phase, especially if you keep to yourself as a kid and haven't yet made a ton of close bonds where you get to know another's depths. Also when you feel different, its human to seek an concrete explanation.

TBH it's annoying to run into on forums if you're more experienced with typology, but then again, in-depth conversation is exactly what such a person needs, so, good that they can talk it out with those who have the patience.

Lark

This forum, and pretty much lots of people with an interest in typology, seem to privilege NT types more than SJ, the NT is superior and the SJ inferior but that's actually the opposite for what Jung thought and a lot of other typology thinkers besides, Sherlock Holmes is an SJ for instance.

So I think a lot of people type themselves as NT or what it that way because they think NT is superior.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This forum, and pretty much lots of people with an interest in typology, seem to privilege NT types more than SJ, the NT is superior and the SJ inferior but that's actually the opposite for what Jung thought and a lot of other typology thinkers besides, Sherlock Holmes is an SJ for instance.

So I think a lot of people type themselves as NT or what it that way because they think NT is superior.
FWIW, I don't think Sherlock Holmes is SJ or S at all. A great example of an SJ detective is Lt Columbo. Perhaps he doesn't belong in the same category as Holmes, but was a very shrewd detective in his own way, balancing a sponge for small details with endless patience and a great insight into human nature.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not every one is like this, but noobs who want to feel superior in order to make sense of their lives especially if they have not achieved much. I used to want to type as N, so I could have some excuses for why I did not perform as well in school , but being an ISTJ I have no excuses, and that is a good thing. I have recently been working on my time management, procrastination and hypochondrial tendencies, and have gotten better. Thankfully even Ns who are more experienced can understand that S or N does not determine your your intelligence.

á´…eparted

passages
Generally I equate someone being intuitive if their thoughts processes are typically non-linear, and they tend to care/discuss matters and ideas that have minimal direct practicality with them. It's rather hard to define though. You more or less know it when you see it.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Generally I equate someone being intuitive if their thoughts processes are typically non-linear, and they tend to care/discuss matters and ideas that have minimal direct practicality with them. It's rather hard to define though. You more or less know it when you see it.

I know an ENFP who hates applied math, and that is only kind of math I can even stand. I can't believe people want to do things that take work without there being a point to it.

á´…eparted

passages
I know an ENFP who hates applied math, and that is only kind of math I can even stand. I can't believe people want to do things that take work without there being a point to it.

I can, and it's probably influenced in part because I am an N. There are certain things I find fascinating and interesting to hear about that have no practical value. While I did not go too far in to math (mutlivariable calc), and I hated every minute it, I do enjoy hearing about people conceptually explain theoretical math. It makes the world feel more... rich? That sort of thing matters to me.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can, and it's probably influenced in part because I am an N. There are certain things I find fascinating and interesting to hear about that have no practical value. While I did not go too far in to math (mutlivariable calc), and I hated every minute it, I do enjoy hearing about people conceptually explain theoretical math. It makes the world feel more... rich? That sort of thing matters to me.

I like hearing that too, as long as I don't have to spend time doing it Oh now maybe I disproved the point. Fuck mbti.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I am an ENFP who who would rather just avoid math. I do not hate it per say, but I’m miserable doing it. When push comes to shove, I am good at it, but it takes a lot to get there. Plus, I am such a big picture thinker that I always mess up the smallest, simplest details.

Well I do think N/S could influence interests and aptitud. I do not think it is the end all be all. I have two friends who i have known for many years- one is an ESFJ and the other is an ISFJ. The ESFJ loves math and is very skilled with it. On the other hand, the ISFJ hates math. Well, I cannot imagine her having a burning hatred towards anything. It is more of a deep frustration fueled by anxiety. She has always struggled with it too. Same cognitive functions (albeit different order), literally opposite viewpoints on a subject. Interestingly, they have both pursued careers in similar fields though.

Lark

FWIW, I don't think Sherlock Holmes is SJ or S at all. A great example of an SJ detective is Lt Columbo. Perhaps he doesn't belong in the same category as Holmes, but was a very shrewd detective in his own way, balancing a sponge for small details with endless patience and a great insight into human nature.

Yeah, whether Holmes is SJ or not Jung thought of the N function as inferior to the S function, in some of what I've read it almost appears as though he thinks that S is the mature function, the way he describes it I would not disagree and I think a closer reading of that side of things could turn a lot of peoples thinking around.

I think that S is confused with a sort of concrete thinking or practical reasoning which is devoid of imaginative content, Jung considered it instead to be characterised by greater awareness.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't even know what people mean by intuitive. Ne sounds adhd. Ni seems egotistical, as in my gut feelings are right more often than not. Studies on intuition show that they aren't any more right than chance would suggest. So yeah, it's an ego thingy. I'm sure a lot of people who say "I am intuitive" are intelligent and maybe more open,but those seem different from intuition.