• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How can I stop feeling sad about being a sensor?

VRose

It sounds to me like you're frustrated and you're being way too hard on yourself. Trust me, I understand the ache of loneliness. I'm an INFP and I've struggled with social anxiety for decades. Throughout my teen years and early twenties, I had no friends. High school was excruciating! I felt like I was always on the outside looking in though an impenetrable glass wall. I wanted so badly to join in and make friends but I just didn't know how to connect. Add to that the misery of crushing anxiety. I'd shake, sweat and even become ill when I was forced to participate in class or do a presentation. My God, it was awful. It wasn't until I went to college for Biology that my life began to turn around. I grew up in a family that saw the use of antidepressants as a sign of weakness. I was ashamed of myself and I hid the worst of my symptoms from my family. However, studying Biology taught me that anxiety is a chemical imbalance in the brain, not a character flaw. I worked up the courage to get treatment from my doctor and my life completely changed. I began speaking up in class and asking questions. I joined study groups and miraculously even made a few friends! Now I'm 35 years old. I'm married with a wonderful family of my own. I don't have a ton of friends but I have a few very close friends who really value me, akwardness and all. I can't say that I never feel anxious but the anxiety doesn't rule my life anymore.

For me, overcoming social anxiety was the first step toward a more fufilling life. The second step, overcoming low self- esteem, came when I discovered the Myers Briggs personality survey. All my life, I've been a bit scatterbrained, disorganized and messy. I'm late for EVERYTHING. I'm constantly day dreaming and starting huge projects that I'm wholly passionate about until I'm distracted by a new exciting hobby in which case I completey lose intrest in the first one and never finish it. It drives my husband (ENTJ) crazy because our house is full of half finished projects. Basically, I'm the complete opposite of everything society says a good wife and mother should be: sociable, neat, organized, promt, focused... you get the picture. I really hated myself. I constantly compared myself to the other moms who seemed to be so put together. I just couldn't stack up to them no matter how hard I tried and I berated myself for it. Learning about my personality type allowed me to learn to forgive myself. I'm not like everyone else because I just don't function like many others. It doesn't mean that I shouldn't strive to be more organized or promt, rather that there are going to be times (many, many times) that I mess up and it's okay. It doesn't mean that I'm a failure or lazy or useless. It's just means that there are probably certain things I'll never master but it's all just part of my journey. For every fault of our personality type there is a strength as well. I'd never been particularly accomplished at anything in my life. I'd always been embarrassed by the fact that I didn't have any real talents to speak of. Learning my MBTI type helped me to realize that there are some things that I naturally do really well. I'll never be a Mozart or Michelangelo but I do have something special and unique to offer the world (just as we all do). This realization has bolstered my confidence tremendously. I've begun to be more open around others and take a chance by saying hello to someone I've never met. I'm an introvert with anxiety. Let's face it, I'm the definition of akward. In the past I let the fear of seeming strange to others or, even worse, feeling rejected by strangers keep me from speaking up or joining in. Now I make an effort to put myself out there more often and surprisingly it seems to be working! When a casual acquaintance invites me to do something, instead of making an excuse to get out of it, I force myself to say yes. As a gross analogy, it's kind of like lobbing spitballs. Most of them miss but occasionally one will stick and I gain a new friend or at the very least have a nice conversation with a stranger. I certainly don't click with everyone I meet which is good becsuse I could never maintain that much social interaction and responsibility! I'm akward, I speak too quietly to be heard easily, sometimes I get excited and I have so many ideas rolling around in my head that my words come out jumbled. Sometimes my brain makes some obscure connection and I say something that I don't realize is wierd until after I've said it. My point is, people are forgiving. And why worry if someone you barely know thinks you're kinda strange? I'm discovering that the people who get me, those who make the best kind of friends for me, enjoy my company because of my quirks not in spite of them. I've also had to make a concentrated effort to eliminate my negative self-talk and thought patterns. When I catch myself doing a mental face palm because of something akward I said to the elementary school secretary three weeks ago, I try to stop that line of thought and instead congratulate myself on trying to be more sociable.

I didn't mean to turn this into a novel and I'm not trying to make your suffering about me. It's just important to me that you understand that you aren't alone. We're all struggling all the time. Don't beat yourself up! Life is hard enough already. If you like to write, write. Who cares if it's any good? It's not for anyone but yourself. The only person you're competing against is the person you were yesterday. Remember that you are not alone. Your situation is not hopeless. Trust yourself. Love yourself. Forgive yourself. Treat yourself with respect. All the other stuff will hopefully fall into place.

Metis

I put all my energy into trying to write a book...and was struggling to find ideas. I had a few, but most of the ones I came up with were stolen.

They were stolen from you, or you realized that you had stolen them?

You don't have to be a particular type to be a good writer. My understanding is that one of the best ways to be a good writer is also to read good writing, avidly. Diligence is also recommended. In other words, don't wait for the inspiration to come before you write, but just write and get it done. You don't need to be in an "I'm a genius" mindset to do this, at all. In fact, some of the stupidest things people write, myself included, happen when they're feeling inspired and ingenious, so if you do write something in a frame of mind like that, you might want to review it later when you're feeling more down-to-earth and make sure that (1) you didn't inadvertently steal it from something you read before and (2) it actually makes sense, sounds intelligent, and is intelligent.

I took a random IQ test online (I know, I know, "IQ tests online aren't completely reliable", but this one seemed pretty legitimate) and I did...okay. I got stuck on several problems, stressed that I wasn't a real intuitive because I couldn't come up with any further answers.

I was given a battery of IQ and other tests when I was a teenager. (None of them were online tests. All of them were administered by "official" people who put some stock in the officiality of these tests, whatever that meant to them.) What I know about IQ tests is that there are a variety of approaches taken. I don't think they all measure Ne first and foremost, or whatever. I was given one that probably used a lot of Fe to score high on, since it involved the person showing flashcards to you and then your making up a story about the people on the flashcards, and telling it to the administrator. Fe and Si might give you better results on that kind of test, because your stories might be less off-the-wall than Ne-based stories. (I don't know what I scored.)

The desire for the truth.

Well, good. That's important to you, so that's more "you" rather than the "My talent is my low self esteem" thing.

My talent is my low self esteem. I hate myself so much and don't trust my abilities that I try to be as nice as possible.

It might also be that being as nice as possible isn't doing your self esteem any favors. You don't want to feel like you're beneath people. It's one thing to be civil and to try to treat people fairly; it's another to act as though your value is in how "sweet" you can be, or can seem to be, to others. That's probably not a good way to raise your self esteem if you think it's low.

MBTI showed me I have no strengths whatsoever. and I should just give up on the dream of being a writer, or a creative type, because how the hell can I compete with the genius of Se, Ne, and Ni doms?

Then you should disregard it or at least take the results with a grain of salt. Don't take MBTI so seriously. You said writing is important to you, and truth is important to you; think about the things that are important to you, and take those things seriously, instead of some weird test/s.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Initially, I became very interested in type theory when I thought I was an INFP. When I was younger, I'd always dreamt of being a writer. I was okay at school with a horrendous attention span, barely made any friends and developed serious social anxiety, etc. daydreamed constantly with some pretty varied themes about fictional characters and my own characters...

Somehow INFP just didnt feel right. The description of Ne was an explosion of ideas. They made INFPs out to be geniuses, almost as good as the other Ne-doms and able to solve any puzzle but with the use of Ne instead of Ni. I thought "Really? That can't be me, can it?"

For a while, thinking I was among the intuitives, I was pretty high on life. My self confidence soared. I put all my energy into trying to write a book...and was struggling to find ideas. I had a few, but most of the ones I came up with were stolen. I became obsessed with trying to determine my abilities. I took a random IQ test online (I know, I know, "IQ tests online aren't completely reliable", but this one seemed pretty legitimate) and I did...okay. I got stuck on several problems, stressed that I wasn't a real intuitive because I couldn't come up with any further answers.

There was an itch in the back of my head which I believe is my inferior Ti. The desire for the truth. I kept searching for the perfect Marc in terms of MBTI...and realized I was never a Fi Dom all along. No, I'm a sensor.

And not just any sensor...a "guardian" or "giver" type. At least I could've had the talent of a Se-dom, but that seems to escape me. it hit me like a bunch of bricks: My talent is my low self esteem. I hate myself so much and don't trust my abilities that I try to be as nice as possible. After seeing that I still get rejected by other people, I thought "maybe I'm not like other people. Maybe I'm meant to be more intellectually minded. To focus on things other than my relationships with people...or in this case lack thereof"

Its sad, isn't it? My strengths in this sense are my weakness and are the reason I feel like I'm eternally doomed to never truly live a fulfilling life.

I know this is completely melodramatic and eye-rolling, but I have no where else to turn to in order to seek advice. I know many of you probably hate the fact that I am dumping on this type; hell, I'd love to be an ESFJ if I could actually make friends. If I could be a great Fe-dom. But I'm not. :/ MBTI showed me I have no strengths whatsoever. and I should just give up on the dream of being a writer, or a creative type, because how the hell can I compete with the genius of Se, Ne, and Ni doms?
Hun, contrary to believe, all types can be creative. It is actually said that Taylor Swift is an ESFJ, and she's a great songwriter. I love her anyway. Every type has gifts and talents that can be admired. Embrace your typing!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hey... speak for yourself as far as sensors not having talents or intelligence... I'm a genius :newwink:

On another note, I keep an ESFJ at home and he's accomplished everything I've seen him put his mind to

You're problem is self confidence, like everyone else is saying... quit blaming the negative stereotypes for what you feel are your inadequacies

Lark

Hey... speak for yourself as far as sensors not having talents or intelligence... I'm a genius :newwink:

On another note, I keep an ESFJ at home and he's accomplished everything I've seen him put his mind to

You're problem is self confidence, like everyone else is saying... quit blaming the negative stereotypes for what you feel are your inadequacies

Like I said before sensors are the superior of intuitives, intuition is to guess, sensing is to know from reliable evidence.

Jung made no mistake about it and I think the typing of Sherlock as ISTJ makes perfect sense, inference and deductive reasoning from a sharp, almost peter natural power of observation and investigation? Totally a sensor.

This forum is strange that they've got it all back to front and think sensing and sensors are inferior to intuition.

Novella

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4W5
Why is one superior over the other? Why can't they just be different?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you can't as long as you believe sensors are inferior (which they're not) you're gonna continue to be sad over the fact your a sensor.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

This is sorta how I feel, but not from an overly flowery "everyone is equal" kumbiyah sort of rant. But from the notion that yes, I see between the lines and infer things that sensors do not, but to the sensor, there IS nothing to infer, and what I'm seeing is hocus pocus. What the sensor sees and feels is so obvious to them, and it should be obvious to me, but for whatever reason, I'm completely blind to what they see. I don't think these differing modes of perception are weighted differently in a perceived value sense, but literally just different modes of viewing the world. We really can't live without the other, as pointless as one type might view the other (in the worst cases).

Lark

Well, I'm pretty sure it was Jung's interpretation of things, one was a more matured function than the other, unless I'm sorely mistaken which I guess is a possibility.

By and large I do think of it as simply difference.

Gone

Stop putting Ne on a pedestal, trust me, it has the same trouble/worth ratio as Fe. As any of the other functions.

Also dude. One of the best storytellers I know IRL is an ESFJ. Don't let stereotypes stop you, they're bullshit anyway. But if you think your writing is not good enough... why don't you practice? No master just fell from heaven.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Stop putting Ne on a pedestal, trust me, it has the same trouble/worth ratio as Fe. As any of the other functions. Also dude. One of the best storytellers I know IRL is an ESFJ. Don't let stereotypes stop you, they're bullshit anyway. But if you think your writing is not good enough... why don't you practice? No master just fell from heaven.

Ne is sort of the "joke" function in my mind, hah! Couldn't resist a play on words there. I mean, I love it and wouldn't change how I think for a second but ya, many don't think of Ne beyond the lame puns and family guy jokes. Though, my own lame humor no doubt ain't helping either :doh:

Miaumi

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is nothing wrong with whatever you are,whatever you are,the world needs it,and however you wish to operate is an interesting and unique way,wanna be a writer?your MBTI doesnt matter then,what matters is that you want to write,and that you will write in your own way and perspective .
Talent is nothing but desire ,passion and love manifested through time ,so dont think you dont have something that can only be born from dedication,write until you love what you write.And dont hate yourself or think that you have no strenghts whatsoever,if you cant see your strenghts it doesnt mean they arent there,it just means YOU dont see them